Brother and Sister

Starting Over

Tyler and I both starred at the two black holes that would forever hold our parents. I’m 21 years old living with my 23 year old fiancée and soon taking in my 16 year old brother. Our parents died in a car crash on their anniversary, they say what happened was their tire blew out and caused to them to drive off the road and flip.

Tyler was a happy teenage boy, he would smile and laugh whenever he wanted. But when we heard the news last week, he is always locked in his room and shouting all time. My mother’s sister Andrea always tells me, “It’s expected. He’s angry right now, it’s all part of the grieving process.”

My mother had two sisters, Andrea and Megan. Megan was married with three kids and Andrea was still looking for the ‘one’ as she put it once.

My fathers mother Amanda wrapped her arms around us both and kissed us on the head.
She walked over to the grave and put her rose on-top of the coffin. My mother’s mother did the same, poor Grandma Angela. Grandpa Jay was holding her hand tightly as they walked back to their seats. Mom and Grandpa Jay were close; she was a daddy’s girl.
It was mine and Tyler’s turn to walk up; Tyler grabbed my hand and squeezed it. I leaned my head on his shoulder and let a few tears escape.

“We love you mom and dad.” I whispered. Tyler sighed and laid his rose on mom’s and the other on Dad’s.

“Take care.” He choked. I rubbed his back and walked with him to our seats.

The priest stood up and crossed his hands. “Please I ask everyone to say your condolences to the Walter family before you leave. They would also like to thank you for all your support threw this difficult time. They also invite you to a special lunch in honor of Melinda and Doug Walter starting soon after the burial.”

He walked away and stood beside some lady and started whispering in her ear.

We were hugged and cried on until the very end. One of my dad’s brother Daniel hugged us both and told us he was always available for whenever we needed him. The other brother Michael came and just shook our hands, he was never good when it came to dealing with emotions. Many friends of our parents hugged us and told us the same as Uncle Daniel.

When all the embraces were done, Tyler and I stayed behind with Grandma Angela and Grandma Amanda to see the burial. Tyler broke down when they poured the dirt down into the hole. Both Grandma’s been strong and comforted us who were sobbing on each other.
Neither Tyler and I went to the lunch, it wasn’t even our idea, it was all Grandma Amanda and Angel’s idea.

John, my fiancée was sitting with me on the sofa watching a movie.

“So when are we taking Tyler?” he asked.

I looked up at him, “Whenever he wants to leave.”

He sighed, “You know what they said Rachel, it’s not his decision.”

I sat up, “John, I can’t force him right now. We just lost our parents, it’s too soon.”

“Rachel, we have to do this.”

I narrowed my eyes at him, “We?”

“You have to do this.”

“I don’t have to do anything, it’s his choice.” I snapped.

He let out a big breath and stood up, “Rachel, I agreed on this when you told me last week about Tyler. I have a say in this also, he’s coming this weekend.”

I stood up and crossed my arms, “You know John, you’re right. You do have a say in this.
But I have a say in this relationship too, if you can’t accept my brother decision then I’m out.”

He raised his eye brow, “What are you talking about?”

“What I’m saying is if you keep pushing me about my brother, I’m moving in here and leaving you. Got it?” I smiled sarcastically and walked away upstairs. He didn’t follow. I saw all the pictures of me and Tyler with our parents in various places. I stopped at one of them and held back the sob that was threatening against my chest. It was during Christmas, we were all gathered around the tree. It was their last Christmas, how mom looked so beautiful with her big green eyes –like mine- and her beautiful black hair (like Tyler’s). My Dad looked handsome with brown hair –like mine also- and his pulsing blue eyes –like Tyler’s also- their smiles were beautiful like an angel. If only we had a sign that this was the last holiday with them we could have made it special. No, it would just be harder, because we wouldn’t be able to compare any other holiday with that one.

I walked up to Tyler’s room, I knocked first.

“Can I come in?” I asked.

“Yeah.” He yelled. I was shocked, it’s been lately, “Hell no!” I closed the door behind me and lounge on his computer chair.

“What’s up sis?” he asked.

I shrugged, “Just wanted to talk to my favorite person.”

He grinned, “I thought John was your favorite person.”

I laughed, “One of them. But you’re my number one.”

He blushed slightly and looked away, “Shut up.”

I laughed more, “You’re blushing!”

He snorted, “No I’m not.”

I pointed at him, “Yes you are, look!”

He looked away, “Whatever.”
I sat next to him and turned his face, he was red!

“Yes you are.” I laughed hard. He cracked a smile and then laughed.

“Ok so I blushed.” He rolled his eyes.

I was still laughing, “It…..was…..cute.”

He blushed more, I laughed harder.

“OK!” he laughed. “Enough.”
I calmed myself and scooted away to lie on my stomach on his bed.

“So how are you holding up?” he asked me.

I looked down, “Just trying to be strong. I can’t break down now.”

He nodded, “Yeah.”

I looked at him and sighed, “Tyler, when do you want to come live with us?”
He walked around me to this closet to put something up and then sat on the floor across from me.

He sighed, “I’ll go whenever you want me.”

I smiled, “I want you whenever you’re ready to come.”

He grinned a teasing smile, “So you don’t want me now?”
I grabbed a pillow and threw it at him, he caught it and laughed.

“That’s not what I meant stupid.” I grinned.

He laughed, “I know.”

Then his face was completely serious, “I want to go now Rachel.” He whispered.

I slid off the bed and sat in front of him, “Are you sure?”

He starred at me, “Yes.”

I wrapped my arms around his neck, “Ok.”

I pulled away and jumped up, “Whatever you want to take is fine. You’re X-box, Playstation, whatever.”

He laughed, “I will.”

I grinned, “Good.”
I stood up and headed for the door. I was halfway out when he called me.

“Rachel?” he asked. I turned around and starred at him.

“Yeah?”

He looked down, “Thank you, for letting me live with you guys.”

I grinned, “You’re my brother, I would have fought for you if Aunt Andrea wanted you. Besides, mom and dad wanted you to live with me. Have you read their letter?”

He shook his head, “Not ready.” He sounded sad. I sighed and crossed the room to wrap my arms around his waist.

“I love you Tyler.” I whispered.

He squeezed me tighter to his chest, “I love you too sis.”