Brother and Sister

The Game

Grandma, Aunt Megan and I helped Grandma clean the kitchen while the boys all went to play basketball outside.

“Rachel baby, go with them. Go spend time with family.” whispered Grandma.

I smiled, “Are you sure? I could finish these and then go.” I was putting the dishes into the dishwasher.

She shook her head, “This is nothing an old lady can’t handle. Go.”

I giggled, “Grandma you’re not old. Your beautiful and sexy”

She laughed, “Beautiful I’ll do, but sexy? Never.”

Aunt Megan came into the kitchen laughing, she was carrying glasses in her hand.

“Mother you absolutely sexy, dad would agree.”

I groaned, “Ok! I just said she was sexy, I didn’t need to hear that Grandpa would fully agree on that subject.”

They both laughed, “Oh sweetie, you shouldn’t be like that.” laughed Aunt Megan.

I raised my eyes brows, “What do you mean?”

She giggled, “I mean you live with John and I’m sure he tells you that you’re sexy every night.”
I threw the towel that was lying on the counter at her, she caught it. Grandma had her hand covering her face, but her shoulders shook with laughter. I laughed a little too.

“Aunt Megan!” I laughed.

She came up to me and nudged me in the sides with her elbow. “Don’t be shy.”

I blushed when Grandma yelled, “Alright! I suddenly agree with Rachel, I don’t need to hear that my soon-to-be grandson in law is giving my granddaughter the hots every night.” She winked at me.

I covered my face in with my hands and shook with laughter. Aunt Megan was leaning against me while shaking with laughter.

“MOTHER!” she yelled.

She shrugged, “Is that what the kids are calling it now-a-days? Hots?”
I laughed harder and soon had to grip the counter for support.

“No Grandma their not.” I laughed.

She giggled and put the next set of dishes next to me, “Anyway, go on and be with the family. We’ll finish this.” She patted my shoulder and kissed my cheek.

I untied my apron and hung it up where mom last left it and walked outside to play with my family.

“RACHEL! OVER HERE!” yelled Tyler. I bounced passed the ball and pushed off Uncle Daniel, he laughed.

“That should be a foul!” he yelled.

I laughed, “It’s all fair baby, all fair.”
I ran around him and clapped my hands for the ball, Tyler passed it back to me and I let the ball roll of my fingers and swoosh into the basket.

“YEAH!” Tyler came and high-fived me.

Grandpa clapped while Uncle Michael laughed, “Alright sweet pea!” he yelled.

I hugged John who was on Uncle Daniel’s team. He bent down to kiss me.

“Huh hell no! He let her win! REMATCH!” yelled Uncle Daniel.

I looked around John’s shoulder to look at him, “Uncle, I was blocking you! He was blocking him!” I pointed at Tyler.

He shook his head, “Nope! I want a rematch!”

I laughed, “Oh quiet being such a baby.”

Grandpa laughed, “You and Doug were always the sore-losers, just deal with it Daniel, she beat you fair and square!”

We all laughed, and then it got really quiet when dad’s name clouded our heads. I sighed.

“Guys, we can’t just sit here and be down whenever we mention dad. If he was here, he would have thrown the basketball in you’re face.” laughed Tyler. I walked over to him and linked my arm around his.

“Yeah, Ty’s right. We have to enjoy these moments together. Mom and dad wouldn’t want us to get sad whenever we share our memories with one another. They would want us to laugh and have fun. So come on guys, let’s play!”

Grandpa laughed. I took the ball from Uncle Daniel who smiled at me. I walked next to

Grandpa he bent down to kiss my cheek and whispered, “Well said baby.”

Uncle Daniel took off his jacket and clapped his hands, “Alright! Let’s go!”

I laughed and checked in the ball, “First to 20?”

He shook his head, “30.’ He bounced the ball back to me.

Tyler was running around, I dribbled the ball around the three point line, waiting for Tyler to get open.

“Rachel, I’m open!” He yelled. I faked my right and turned to my left and threw the ball to Tyler. He moved around John and bounced passed to me right at the basket.

“Dammit!” yelled Uncle Daniel. I laughed.

“Oh come on, don’t be such a baby.” I ran around him again, Tyler passed the ball to me and I chunked it back to him.

“Rachel, why didn’t you ever try out for college ball?” he asked.

I shrugged, “Never thought of it.”

Tyler made the basket, “You never thought of it?” Uncle Michael asked.

I nodded, “Yeah. I’m too busy studying and working, there is no way I could fit a basketball schedule with mine.”

He nodded, “I see. Well you’re damn good.” He chuckled.
I laughed and bounced the ball around him to shoot the ball.

“THAT’S IT! I GIVE UP!” yelled Daniel.

We all laughed and headed back inside, Grandma laid out hot chocolate for us with marshmallows covering the top. My mouth watered.
Mom used to do this for us, when me and Tyler would play in the snow all day she would have hot chocolate ready for us with marshmallows mounting over the top.

“HOT CHOCOLATE!!” yelled Tyler. He zoomed past me and sat in the chair.

Grandma slapped his hand, “That is not for you young man. It’s for the people who don’t smell like onions. Go take a shower!”

He laughed, “Yes Grandma.” He kissed her cheek. He slapped my shoulder (knocking me half over the counter)

“Jeez.” I gasped. I heard him laughing from upstairs.
John rubbed my shoulders while I drank my hot coco.

“This brings back memories” I sighed. I looked at Grandma and she was smiling.

“Really? Like?” She prompted.

I grinned, “When Tyler and I would play outside all day during Christmas break in the snow.

When mom would call us in, she would have hot coco waiting right here on this counter.” I ran my hand along the counter. “She would put marshmallows that were flowing over the top. But we didn’t mind, we loved them. Then dad would pull out the whip cream and spray it on the glass, it was so tasty.”

Everyone laughed, “I bet Melinda was furious.” laughed Megan.

I nodded, “Oh yeah. She would slap his hand repeatedly but he would continue to spray it.”
Grandma was laughing but on the verge of tears also. Grandpa Jay was just grinning, I could see his eyes were watery.

“I’m sorry.” I whispered.

“Why?” they all said together.

“I can see that everyone is still upset about mom and dad. I didn’t mean to hurt you.”

Aunt Megan wrapped her arm around my shoulder, “No baby. Don’t be afraid to tell us something or ask something about your mom and dad. We are happy to answer……right?” she looked around the room. No hesitated to nod.

“Yes sweetheart.” said Uncle Michael bending down to kiss my forehead.

“But Grandma and Grandpa are on the verge of tears.” I pointed at them.

Grandma giggled, “She was my daughter Rachel. I’m still grieving. But that doesn’t mean you can come to us with anything about her or your father.”

Grandpa nodded and wrapped his arm around her, “That’s right pumpkin. We are here for you. No need to feel ashamed.”

I nodded and smiled at him, “I didn’t mean to make this awkward too.”

Everyone laughed, Uncle Michael nudged me, “Stop feeling so guilty! Jeez!”
I laughed with them, turning a bright red. John wrapped his arms from behind me and kissed my cheek.

I was up in my room with John. After we said our goodbye’s to Uncle Daniel and Uncle Michael, oh and Aunt Megan we all settled in our rooms around ten pm that night. John came out of the shower and plopped down on the bed, I was on the computer.

I laughed, “Tired?”

“Mhmm.”

I leaned down to kiss his forehead, “Well then rest. I’m going to check on Ty and then I’ll be back.”

He nodded, eyes still closed, “Hurry back.”

I opened the door and tapped on Ty’s door.

“Come in!” I opened the door and peaked at his television, he was playing X-box. I sighed.

“Seriously? I swear you and that damn thing.” I giggled.

He grinned, “Hey don’t disrespect my baby.” I rolled my eyes.

“You need something?” he would glance at me quickly and then back to the T.V.

I shook my head, “Nope, I actually came to see if you needed anything.”

He shook his head, “Nope. I’m good.”

I walked over behind him and saw he was playing “Call of Duty.”

“Really? I thought you didn’t like that?” I commented.

He paused it and turned on me, “Women you just did not disrespect my game.”

I raised my eye brow at him, “Ty I’m not doing anything. I was just saying that you said that you didn’t like this game anymore.”

He laughed, “I know I was just messing with you.”

I smacked his shoulder, “Dumbass.” He stood up and tackled me to the floor, I nearly hit my head on the bed.

“TYLER!” I screamed.

“Say it again!” he laughed.
I put my hands on his shoulders and tried to push back, but he wouldn’t move.

I laughed, “Stop it!”

“You asked for it!”
He tied my arms in his one hand and tickled the living crap out of me. I laughed and screamed, he was laughing also. That’s when Grandma and Grandpa came in with John.
We froze in our spots and turned our heads slowly towards them.

“Hi.” We both said. Grandma had her rollers on and Grandpa looked barely awake, so did John.

“Kids, please! We are trying to sleep; you should be doing the same. Now Rachel back to your room and Tyler turn that thing off and go to sleep! I mean it! I will come in here again Tyler, you better do what I say.” She was pissed. I untangled my self from Tyler and we stood beside each other.

“Sorry Grandma and Grandpa.” We said together.

“I think you owe John an apology also. He looks dead tired Rachel.” She had her hands on her hips and her lips were pursed together. She was not only pissed, but really, really pissed.

I hung my head, “Sorry John.” We said together too. I thought it was silly saying sorry to John, but I didn’t want to test Grandma now.

She moved out of the way, “Off to bed Rachel. I don’t want to hear anymore laughing or T.V coming from either rooms! Do you understand me?”

I nodded, even John did. “Yes ma’am.”

I stuck my tongue out at Tyler when Grandma was facing him, he pressed his lips together to keep from laughing. I walked to my room and laughed into the pillow.

“You’re Grandmother scares the bajeezus out of me.” John laughed.

I nodded, “I could tell. I haven’t been treated that way since I was a little girl.”

He patted my back and chuckled, “What were you doing?”

“We were just playing around.”

He nodded, “Ok. Can we go to bed please love? I’m dead tired.”

I reached over to kiss his lips, “Yes of course baby. I’m sorry I didn’t mean to wake you.”

He shook his head and wrapped his arm around my waist; he pulled me closer to him. “No of course not. Of course it’s a true blessing every time I wake up and you’re the first thing I see.”

I grinned and kissed his lips, “I love you John.”

He kissed my nose, “I love you too Rachel.”

I threw off all the pillows on my old bed and snuggled under the covers with John’s arms wrapped around me.