Brother and Sister

Christmas Cheer

It was Saturday morning and Tyler has not come out of his room. I was getting worried so I climbed the stairs and knocked on his door.

“Tyler, breakfast is ready.” I called. Nothing.
I pushed the door quietly open and saw him sitting on the window seal looking out.

“Hey, are you ok?” I asked; staying by the door.

He shook his head, “No.”

“Want to talk about it?”

He shrugged, “Why not?”

He jumped off the window and closed it. He sat on the bed while I sat on his computer chair.

“What happened? You were ok these last two days, did you talk to her?”

He raised his eye brows and nodded, “Oh I talked to her.”

“So?” I prompted.

He looked up at me and sighed, “She’s pregnant.” My eyes went wide; I clutched my chest and nearly fainted. Oh god.

“No it’s not mine! Jeez chill out!” he stood up and paced.

I held my breath, “Are you sure?”

He nodded, “I talked to her yesterday, and she said that she was three weeks pregnant. I knew it wasn’t mine because we haven’t…..you know. So I knew it was his. I told her that I didn’t want to talk to her anymore and to just stay away from me. But she told me this has been happening for awhile now. She and Anthony started dating last year, and were still sort of going out when we started. It just pisses me off that I’m that guy that gets used! I’m that guy that everyone is going to look at and say, ‘Their goes Christy’s rebound’, I’m that guy that everyone won’t respect because of what she did. But get this, she tells me ‘Tyler I do like you a lot. I’m just confused. Give me time’ Confused? Time? Really? Its not hard to accept a feeling you still have for someone else, its not hard to tell someone –like me!- that you don’t like them the way you love that other person! It’s just so irritating!”

I kept my head down, I let him vent out his thoughts and feelings.

“I hate this Rachel! I really hate this! I hurt all over! My chest has this uncomfortable feeling, and my head aches. I just…….UGH!”

I stood up and stopped his pacing. I wrapped my arms around him. He hugged me tight and didn’t say anything.

“Why does it have to be me that loose everyone?” he asked.

I pulled away and shook my head, “It’s not just you Tyler. Everyone goes threw this. This is apart of life, you will get stronger and be able to deal with this a lot better than right now. I know you will. You are just like dad, you have his strength. Remember when Grandpa Joe died? Remember how well he handled that while Uncle Daniel and Uncle Michael were crying? You have that. You didn’t break down once when mom and dad died. Yes you were angry; yes you did shed a few tears. But you did that away from everyone else, that’s your strength working. You have a strong heart, so strong that it will take a lot to break it.”

He stayed quiet for awhile. I sat on the chair again.

Finally he spoke, he was starring at me, “You’re right.”

I smiled, “I always am.”

He grinned, “Loser. I’m sorry; I didn’t mean to lose it.”

I shook my head, “Don’t worry, we all have those days.”

He chuckled, “It just makes me angry.”

I nodded, “It’s ok to be angry Tyler. You don’t have to keep it bottled in all the time.”

He nodded, “Yeah.”

I stood up and clapped my hands, “So lets go eat! I’m starving.” He laughed and followed me downstairs. John was reading the newspaper when we came down.

“You look like an old man when you read the paper.” teased Tyler.

John raised his eye brows, “Just eat man.” He chuckled.

“Seriously you do.” laughed Tyler.

John threw down the paper and starred at him, “I read the paper for the comics.”

“Old people do that too you know?” he was smiling so big. I stayed quiet the entire time.

“Oh really smart ass?” John could never handle a joke well.

Tyler nodded, “Yes they do. Let me ask you something, do you have trouble reading it? Because you know you being old and stuff.” He tapped his chin. I bit my tongue to keep from laughing.

John folded the paper and laid it beside him “Cut it out.”

“I was just curious. No need to get feisty.”

A little giggle escaped my lips, but I was quick to cover it with a cough.

“Tyler one day when you’re old and saggy, I’m going to make fun of you.” John was pointing
at him with his fork.

Tyler snorted, “Saggy eh? Well I shouldn’t be talking.” I snorted and laughed my head off.
I laid my plate in between them both. John was starring at me.

“You think that was funny?” he asked.

I nodded, “Hell yeah!”

He laughed, “You’re going to get it.”

I rolled my eyes, “If you can catch me.”

Tyler laughed, “I don’t think he can. He might throw out his back in the process.”
I laughed with him, John rolled his eyes.

“Come on babe, it was just a joke.” I laughed.

He sighed, “I’m getting pretty tired of these jokes.”

“Only when it comes to you.” Tyler chuckled.

John finally laughed, “Sure whatever. So I’m the old guy? So what.”

I touched his hand, “That’s right baby.”

Tyler gagged, “Seriously, save the gooey pre-marriage stuff for the bedroom. Not even then. Wait till I’m gone.”

I smacked his arm, “Shut up!”

He laughed, “Sorry.” We continued to eat in silence. That’s when the phone rang.

I ran to pick it up, “Hello?”

“Hi baby! It’s me Aunt Megan!” she squealed.

I smiled, “Hey! How are you?”

“I’m great. Listen we have the perfect idea for the party, we are going to order these napkins that say ‘John and Rachel Matthews forever.’ Does that sound good?”

I nodded, “Great. I love the forever part.”

“I know!” she squealed. “Ok, and another thing, we are going to throw you a bachelor party.”

I shook my head, “Oh no.”

“Yes you have to have one!” she sounded like a three year old.

“Aunt Megan, no!” I protested.

“Rachel, your mother would make you have this if she was alive. She would be very disappointed with you.”

She played the mom card, not a fair move. “Fine! No strippers!”

I heard John choke and Tyler laughing.

“Of course not. It will be just us girls. Ok? Well that’s all ok? I love you, take care.”

“I love you too.” I hung up the phone and walked to John who was breathing again.

“Strippers?” he asked, coughing.

“No. Never!” I grabbed my plate and threw it in the sink.

Tyler followed me, “I don’t get guy strippers. It just puts a bad rep on us guys.”

I rolled my eyes, “How do you think we feel?”

He grinned, “Oh no. Girls have no problem showing themselves to us.” I smacked him and started washing the dishes.

“You know I could report you for child abuse.” He muttered.

I rolled my eyes and put the glasses and plates in the dishwasher.

I walked into the living room and turned on the T.V, finally settling for Roseanne.
I felt John’s hands on my shoulder, “You can have strippers if you want.” His voice was a mock of sadness. I rolled my eyes.

“No.” I sounded like a three-year old.

He chuckled, “I won’t be mad. I swear.”

I pressed my lips into a hard line, “No John. That’s final.”
He sighed and walked around the couch to sit in front of me on the coffee table.

“I promise I won’t get mad. Just go out see some naked guys, and enjoy yourself. Please, for me.” He was smiling. He took my hand in his and kissed my palm.

I starred at him for a long moment, biting the inside of my cheek. Finally I sighed and rolled my eyes.

“Fine I’ll have the stupid party and the stupid stripper. I won’t enjoy one single freakin second of it.” I pulled my hand away and crossed my arms.

He laughed and bent over to kiss my forehead, “Good. Jeez you are so difficult to deal with.”
I rolled my eyes again and went back to watching Roseanne. For the first time in forever, I finally paid attention to how she acts. She’s amazing. She’s bitchy, sarcastic, and a mean ass mother. Not in a bad way, I mean she loves her kids but she knows when to tell them to shut the eff up. Ha. I think I found my idol. I want to be her when I get older.

Tyler sat next me. I scooted over to the left side of the arm rest and ignored him.

He pushed me, “Don’t be such a sore loser.”

I sighed, “Go away.”

“Seriously what’s so wrong about bachelor parties?” he was starring at me with his eye brow sticking straight up.

“I hate them. They are stupid and pointless, everyone has them because their sad to see their singles day go by. I’m not like that, I chose this path. I want this path.”

He laughed, “Wow.”

I punched him, “Shut up.”

“You’re so dramatic.” He chuckled.

“I just don’t want to deal with all the drinking and drunk relatives.” I muttered.

He gasped, “Yes, because that would be a very, very bad thing.”

I grabbed the pillow from under my arm and slammed it against him, “I hate you.”

“Drinking, drugs, sex, oh my!” he laughed. I tried very hard not to laugh but I ended up doing it anyway.

“You’re stupid you know?” I laughed.

He nodded, “So I’ve been told.”

“But I love you.” I scooted closer to him.

“But you just said you hated me…..I’m….confused.” he scratched his head.

I elbowed his stomach, “Shut up.” We continued to watch the show in silence.

Later that night I took Tyler out for ice cream. Yes I know what time of year it is, I know that it’s cold and icy outside. But I wanted ice cream, and so did Tyler. John came with us anyway, even though he objected to us having ice cream at 11:30 at night.

I got the M&M blizzard at Dairy Queen, and Tyler got the butterfinger blizzard. I was laughing with Tyler, John was like the parent. He sat us in the back and shushed us when we got to loud.

“Oh come on John! Have some fun!” Tyler yelled, laughing.

I had my mouth covered from the round of giggles escaping my lips, “Don’t be such a party pooper!”

Tyler laughed, “Yeah, lighten up!” He threw his blizzard in the air. I clashed mine with his.

“To us!” I cheered.

“To us!” He laughed.

John shook his head and sighed, “Shut up!”

Tyler leaned down in his seat, “I think he’s mad.” He whispered in my ear.

I giggled, “I think so too. Shh, don’t be too loud Tyler.”

Tyler laughed out loud, “Opps.”

We finally got to our house, John practically threw us out of the car and ran to his computer room. We lounged on the sofa and laughed till the effects of the blizzard lightened up. I found myself slouched on the sofa, barely able to keep my eyes open. Tyler was spread out on the floor starring at the ceiling.

“Wow.” He whispered.

I sighed, “Yeah.”

He groaned, “I feel sick.”

I tried to sit up, but ended up falling right back on the sofa, “I can’t get up.”

“JOHN!” we both yelled together. John came out of his room and shook his head.

“Who’s first?” he stood between us and starred at me.

I smiled, “Me.”

“Not fair! Well you were going to help her anyway.” His voice kind of went into a whispered at the end.

John cradled me in his arms and carried me up in the stairs. He took off my shoes and kissed my forehead.

“I’ll be back. I’m going to help Tyler.” He chuckled. I waved him goodbye and wrapped the covers John covered me with over my head.

I closed my eyes, feeling my stomach turning and my head going really numb. I stood up and ran to the bathroom. I vomited violently causing my whole frame to nearly to through itself in the toilet.

“Rachel?” I heard John say.

He must have heard me when he pulled my air out of my face. I pushed myself away and crawled to the sink. I stood myself up and rinsed my mouth. John stayed by the door laughing. I brushed my teeth and shuffled my feet to the bed.

John laid me under the covers and tucked me in, “Stomach ache?”

I rolled my eyes, “No. I made myself puke.”

He laughed, “I told you that ice cream was a bad idea. It’s nearly 3 am.”

I nodded, “I know. Shut up. I want to sleep.”

I closed my eyes and soon sleep found me. I dreamed a happy dream. More like a memory of me and Tyler with our parents at my old house. I woke up the next morning kind of dizzy, but not nauseated.

After my shower, and my cup of coffee in my hand I knocked on Tyler’s door and opened it a little bit. I found him sprawled on the bed with a trash can near his bed.

I tapped his shoulder, he moaned.

“You still sick?”

He shook his head, “No. My head hurts though.”

I nodded, “Mine too.”

We acted like we had a hangover. I flinched when my voice echoed in my head.

“Oh my god!” he groaned. I nodded and stood up to walk out.

“Feel better. Theirs coffee downstairs, or I could make you hot tea?” I stood by the door.
He just threw up his hands and sighed. I closed the door and walked downstairs to put on a hot cup of tea. I starred out the window in the kitchen, seeing my neighbors outside getting their paper. Some talking over the fence, shivering a little. I smiled. I heard the whistle of the teapot and rushed to turn off the stove. I laid out Tyler’s tea on the table just in time to see him shuffling down the stairs slowly, gripping the handle bar and walking towards me with this hands extended out. He sat down slowly and gripped the cup of tea, slowly letting his lips touch the cup and drink, wincing when the liquid hit his mouth.

I smiled, “It’s hot.”

He sighed, “A little late huh?”

I giggled, “All we ate was freakin ice cream. We act like we drank all night long.”

He chuckled, “I know right? Maybe the ice cream and the dozen of cookies we ate weren’t so much a great idea.”

I nodded in agreement, “I forgot about the cookies.”

He took another sip, “Although this does help numb my head.”

I smiled, “Coffee works better.”

He shrugged, “Whatever. I feel better though.”

I stood up and poured the rest of my coffee out, “Good.” I glazed out the window again, seeing a few people run to their car while some kids ran around in the front yard decorating for Christmas.

“Tyler, up to going out to the store?” I asked. I peaked at him from the corner of my eye.

He sighed, “Sure. Why?”

I smiled, “Go Christmas shopping. We are going to decorate this house.”

“Sweet! Give me a minute will you sis?” he dumped his cup in the sink and ran upstairs.
I grabbed my coat and the keys, I walked out to start my Saturn. I ran back inside and found
John coming downstairs.

He smiled, “Going somewhere?”

I nodded, “Yeah. Me and Tyler are going Christmas shopping.”

He laughed, “Ok. I probably won’t be here when you get back. I have to run to the office downtown.”

I walked to him and kiss his lips, “Fine with me. Thank you by the way for taking care of me.”

He touched my cheek with his hand, “Of course.” He kissed my lips and then pulled away.

Tyler came back down with his jacket already on, “Lets go!” he tugged on my arm. Tyler loves decorating just as much as I do.

I grabbed my purse, “Ok, chill. I love you babe!” I called.

He blew me a kiss, “Love you too! Have fun!”

I smiled and closed the door racing Tyler to the car.

He clapped, “Ohmygod! This is so exciting!” he jumped up and down in his seat.

I laughed, “I know!”

He buckled himself in turned on the radio. I pulled out of the driveway and drove away to the Lowes.

When we got there we argued about which lights we should get. Green, red, blue.

“Get red and green, oh! And white. I want white lights all around the house and I want red and green lights on the windows.”

He shook his head, “So all three? Seriously? Our house will look like we’re advertising for a Mexican party other than decorating for Christmas.” He muttered.

I kicked behind his knee’s causing him to fall. “OUCH!” He yelled.

I slapped his head, “Stop yelling! And stop being a racist bastard!”

He stood up and rolled his eyes, “That was mean. I didn’t mean it though. Seriously you
take everything up the ass now.” He smiled, “That’s what he said.”

I laughed, “Stupid.”

He chuckled, “So green, red, and white? Right?”

I nodded, “Yes Dr. Seuss.”

He rolled his eyes and grabbed all three boxes and threw them in the cart. We strolled to the section where they had big horses and deer for the front yard. We picked the reindeer and a huge snow globe with Frosty and Santa inside. They supposedly wave at you. I also got a reef and a few Christmas window stick-on decorations.

I never bought Christmas decorations, all I had was a tree up and that was it. I put on a few lights and some ornaments. Which reminds me..

“We need to by some ornaments. I need new ones.” I turned the cart around. Tyler groaned.

“I want to buy a tree now.” He protested. I rolled my eyes.

I picked a few boxes with really cute ones. Some were snowmen, some were Santa’s and some were even angels.

The total for all this stuff was over a hundred dollars. I cringed as I wrote the check, but really happy that it was spent on Christmas stuff.

We ran back home and threw everything on the floor, Tyler ran outside to put up the lights around the house. I put up some decorations inside. I tore open a box of green garland twined with lights and weaved it in and out of the staircase. I even outlined the entry to the kitchen with another box of another green garland. When Tyler came in he was shivering.

“Jeez it’s cold! I didn’t know how cold it gets here.” He shrugged out of his jacket and grabbed the box of red lights to decorate the window with them. I found the Christmas C.D and put it in the DVD player. When “The Christmas Song” started to play, Tyler turned
towards me and smiled, I grinned back.

“You can’t decorate a home for Christmas without some Christmas music playing in the background.” I quoted my mother. She used to always say that.

Tyler chuckled, “That was usually the time me and Dad would find something outside to decorate. Inside was always yours and mom’s job.”

I laughed, “Yeah. I’m surprised you are inside.”

He shrugged, “Eh.”

We continued to decorate. I helped Tyler with the other window, and then I hung the reef up at the door. I put up the stick-on’s on the door and smiled when it was nicely put together.

“Ready to get the tree?” I asked. John was back and he was in the computer room, again.

Tyler nodded, “Yeah. I’ll go get the John’s keys.”

I grabbed my jacket and purse. Tyler came out with the keys and John at the door.

He beamed, “Wow! It looks nice.”

I smiled, “Thanks. We’ll be back ok? Love you.”

He grinned, “As I love you.”

Tyler gagged and ran out for the truck. We drove down, debating which tree we should get. When we got there we argued about which one.

“Tyler not a big one. I want a small but a wide one.”

He shook his head, “See this is why Dad and I only came to get the tree, because you women always have something to say.”

I giggled, “Get that one!” I pointed. It was a small but really fluffed out tree. He smirked.

“Nice. Ok.”

We had help to strap it to the back of the truck. We drove down to the house and then me and Tyler howled it into the house.

We got stuck at the door, “John!” I yelled.

John came out and took my place, we finally got it in and set it right in front of the living room window.

I put back on the Christmas songs and started with the red garland. I twirled it around the tree, and then Tyler put on the lights. I spread out the new ornaments around the tree, and Tyler put on the old ones.

We laughed and laughed the whole time, John stayed with us and shared some jokes with us. When it came to put the star up, Tyler reached up and laid the yellow bright star at the tip of the tree. We all gawked at it for a moment, and to cue how perfect this moment was the song ‘Silent Night’ came on.

John wrapped his arm around my shoulders and my arm around his waist. I smacked Tyler’s arm to find a tear falling down his face. He wiped it away quickly and smiled at me. I smiled back sympathically. This Christmas was going to be a hard one.

“Now lets go put up the globe and the reindeer! Then when it gets dark, which is in an hour we’ll go put on the lights and the tree and stare at it from outside. Sound great?” I smiled.

They both nodded, Tyler smiled.

The sun was setting and John was waiting inside to connect the lights. When the sun finally set we cued him to turn on everything. The tree was already on, and then Bam! We were blinded by the lights. The reindeer were moving, just moving their heads up and down. I smiled and so did Tyler.

“This looks great.” He whispered.

I nodded and linked my arm with his, “Yup.”

John ran towards us and chuckled, “Wow.” I smiled.

Wow didn’t even cover it. I couldn’t help but feel a little sad. Mom would have loved this. Dad would be critizing how the lights were bright enough and we should get our money back. I felt a small tear fall down my eyes, Tyler must have seen because he moved his arm from mine and wrapped both of them around me.

We needed each other more than I thought.