Life's a Game but it's not Fair

Two

Viktor woke up early the next morning on purpose. He wanted to start Holly’s first day in Toronto right so he decided to make breakfast. He wasn’t sure how long she was going to be here...but he had a feeling that she was serious about this. Holly hadn’t given him too many details last night she just told him that she woke up and hated everything about her life. Viktor had always known that the end of college was going to be hard on Holly. Holly was one of those girls that everyone knew. She was at every party, she was organizing social events and she was always decked out in green and gold with little painted 18’s on her cheeks at all of the hockey games in support of her best friend. She lived for the college experience and he never once saw her study. While he would be studying to keep his gpa up so that he could stay on the team Holly would be laying on his bed reading Cosmo. Viktor always knew that it would be a big adjustment for her when it was time to be in the real world. “Dude! I knew I smelled food but I assumed Holly was cooking.” Tyler declared as he groggily made his way into the kitchen. He stood there eyeing Viktor who had French toast and bacon on the go. “You got laid didn't you?”

“What?!” Viktor exclaimed as he turned to face his roommate. “No!”

“You totally fucked her! You never cook! I'm surprised you could even figure out how to turn on the stove.”

“I didn't sleep with her! I just want her to have a good day after yesterday.” Viktor told him as he turned back to the stove. Tyler sat on a bar stool at the island and continued to watch Viktor. There was something different about him. He had never seen his teammate like this. Viktor was one of those guys that would rather poke his eyes out than get up before noon on late practice days but here he was cooking full meal at eight in the morning. Tyler decided that he either already got laid and he was hoping to again, or he was just plain working her.

“So it was that good, huh?” Tyler instigated. Viktor shot him a nasty look but didn't buy into Tyler’s game. “So are you making some for me or do you only cook for your bed buddies?”

“I’ll let you eat if you shut the fuck up.”

“Fair enough.” Tyler concluded as he went to the fridge and pulled out the carton of orange juice. Without getting a glass he sat back down at the island and began drinking out of the carton. “So...what’s the deal with you and her?”

“There is no deal. She’s my best friend.” Viktor told him.

“You don't have the hots for her?” Viktor shook his head. “Sweet.” Tyler replied. Upon hearing this Viktor turned around to face him.

“What's that supposed to mean?” Viktor demanded, suddenly feeling territorial.

“She’s gorgeous Vik!” Tyler exclaimed as if Viktor didn't already know that. “I mean, god damn! She’s..”

“She’s off limits.” Viktor stated.

“What?! But you said that you weren’t interested in her.”

“Bozak! Don't even think about trying anything. She’s in rough shape right now and I will kill you.”

“Mmm! Something smells good.” Holly said as she came into the kitchen.

“Hey Hols!” Viktor said as Holly went right to him and wrapped her arms around his middle. “How did you sleep?” He asked as he kissed the top of her head.

“Great!” She answered, opening the fridge. Viktor glanced at Tyler who was leaning back in his chair checking out Holly as she was bent over at the fridge. Viktor picked up a dish cloth off the counter and threw it at Tyler, dragging him out of his thoughts. “This looks amazing, Vik!”

“Yeah. He’s a real modern day Martha Stewart. You should see what he can do with napkin rings.” Tyler told Holly sarcastically, receiving yet another glare from Viktor.
__________

Holly walked back into Viktor’s apartment feeling like she was on cloud nine. She was humming to herself as she kicked off her heels and carried her arm loads of bags into the living room. Holly found that she thought the most clear when she was shopping. Shopping was like a crutch for Holly. When she was happy, she shopped. When she was upset, she shopped. When she was angry, she shopped. Today her shopping was solving numerous issues for her. It had made her depression due to the state her life was in disappear, it had erased her sadness and her anger, and it had help her realize that she was, in fact, doing the right thing. Yes. Shopping was like Holly’s psychiatrist. “Hi boys!” Holly exclaimed cheerily as she set her bags down on the floor.

“Woah.” Tyler stated, taking in all of the colourful department store bags.

“What’s all that?” Viktor asked.

“Happiness.” Holly replied.

“Where did it come from?” Viktor continued.

“Heaven.” Tyler laughed as he glanced at Viktor. He had heard about chicks that went on retail therapy binges, he had even seen it on Intervention, but he had never seen it up close first hand.

“Hols...I thought you were done living off your Dad.” Viktor stated. Holly turned to face him with a shocked look on her face.

“I am!” She told him, wondering why on earth he had said that to her.

“How did you pay for all of this stuff?”

“Visa.”

“And who’s Visa is that?” Viktor stated as he tried to get her to catch on to what he was getting at.

“Oh!” Holly exclaimed. “No, Vik it’s my Visa!”

“Yes, Holly...it’s got your name on the back. Who pays the bill?” The expression on Holly’s face changed as she realized what he was saying. “You can’t go using those. This isn’t making it on your own, Hols.” He told her as he motioned to the sea of bags on the floor of the living room.

“What are you saying?!”

“We need to cut those up.” Holly gasped as the words left Viktor’s mouth. Tyler sat back watching amusedly as Holly’s hand covered her horrified mouth.

“You want me to cut them up?!” She asked, as if she hadn’t heard him properly.

“That’s exactly what you’re going to do. Come on.” He told her as he took her hand and pulled her out to the kitchen table.

Five minutes later Holly was sitting with four credit cards in front of her on the table and Viktor to her right while Tyler sat to her left. Viktor held the scissors out to Holly and urged her to take them. “You can do it Hols! Just think of this as your first step into the real world.” Holly reluctantly cut up three of the four cards and she felt like she was having an anxiety attack.

“Last one!” Tyler informed her. Viktor picked it up but Holly shook her head.

“Come on, Holly! You already cut up three of them! This is the last one!” Again Holly shook her head. She looked at Viktor with wide eyes.

“Not the gold one. I can’t cut the gold one! Can’t I just keep this one?!” She begged.

“Suck it up Princess!” Tyler exclaimed. “Cut the card!” Holly looked at the card in Viktor’s fingers. It had been so good to her. Her father had given it to her the day she went off to college and it had been with her ever since. She couldn't cut it up!

“Come on Holly! It’s a piece of plastic. Are you really going to let a piece of plastic hold you back?” Holly groaned and took the card from Viktor. She raised it to her lips and kissed it.

“I'm sorry!” She whispered to the card and then cut it in half.

“There you go!” Viktor exclaimed as Holly wiped a tear off her cheek. “That wasn’t so bad, was it?” He asked. Holly just shot him a look that screamed shut up.

“Good job Princess.” Tyler told her as he ruffled her hair up. Holly stood to her feet and began walking back out towards the living room.

“Where are you going?” Viktor asked. “Hols?”

“Thank god I stopped at the liquor store.” She told Viktor and Tyler as she returned to the kitchen. “Jack and Jose never let me down.” She said referring to the forty of Jack Daniels and the forty of Jose Cuervo in her hands. “They make everything better.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I had a lot of fun with this chapter! This is becoming one of my favourite to write.
Thanks to all of you that have commented and subbed. It shocked me that ive got 14 subs already...I didnt think that would happen so fast so thanks =]

let me know what you guys think! i love hearing it.