Status: ...

Angels and Reapers

Further Down

The last thing I had to remember him by was his blood-stained name plates. I was sitting in the chairs near Leon's hospital room, just staring at them, forcing my finger tips onto the plates.
A million feelings held their place in me. I couldn't believe he was dead. I couldn't believe they shot him. Why couldn't he just stay home? He had me, wasn't that all he needed? God, why did he do this to himself? I dropped the plates when I realized how hard I was holding them, and saw little red marks on my fingers.
" Amy! " I heard a voice yell from down the hall. It was Chad, Leon's twin brother. He rushed over and hugged me tightly. Chad and Leon looked the same, but Chad's hair was longer, but you could never forget their light blond hair and icy blue eyes.
" He's dead isn't he? " he asked, panting.
I nodded.
" Damn it! " He buried his face in his hands. I reached for the nameplates just as a nurse came out of Leon's room.
" I'm so sorry honey, but there's someone waiting for you inside. Go on.'
We walked in to see a tall black man in a trench coat waiting for us.
" Who the hell are you? " Chad demanded.
" I'm Detective Howard. I--"
" You bastard! " I yelled.
I flailed my arms at him but he just grabbed my wrists and Chad tried to pull me away. I saw Leon out of my peripheral vision, and shut my eyes. I didn't want to look.
" Amy please sit down, " said Howard.
" I can explain. "
We sat and I tried to calm myself. It was hard with my boyfriend and his killer in the same room.
" Look, I'm very sorry for your loss, but Leon's killer is still out there. When I heard the gun shot, I thought it was you," he pointed to me.
" but you didn't have a weapon. A neighbor ran over after hearing all the noise and said she saw someone running away from the house. She didn't know who it was. Any ideas? "
Chad and I looked at each other. The only people I could think of were Duncan, Serj, and Johnny. But they were Leon's closest friends. But I couldn't think of anyone else so I just gave the detective the names anyway.
" Thank you. I'll start the search i the morning. "
" Wait, no way they would've shot him! " Chad raged.
" They would've! " I said back.
" I know they didn't! "
He left the room and the detective thanked me again.
" Um. Could I have a minute? " I asked, sniffling.
" Of course. " The door shut and I forced my eyes to look at Leon. His hands were so cold. I layed beside him and kissed his forehead.
" I'm sorry, " I whispered into his now deafened ear.
" I'm so sorry. "
Then my tears just blurred everything.

My eyes sprang open, as if I had just been brought back to life. At first I thought I was still at the hospital. But my sight proved me wrong, because I was back at the house. had was sitting at the end of the sofa I was on, staring blankly at the floor.
" Hey." I said.
" Hey. " he said, still turned away.
" I cooked, if you're hungry... "
" What time is it? "
" Ten o' clock. "
" I slept for that long? "
" You woke up once or twice. "
I looked over and saw Nicky asleep on the other couch.
" What's Nicky doing here? "
" I needed to step out and I didn't want to leave you here alone so I picked her up."
Nicky was Chad's girlfriend. She used to live in the pretty ritzy part of town, but had to move out after her mom started doing meth.
" Did the detective say anything? "
" Yeah. We couldn't find Serj but Duncan and Johnny both had alibies."
" Oh crap! I totally forgot about him! "
Johnny had been on probation for the last six months. Being a suspect for murder wouldn't have made him look any better. Nicky woke up and when she saw me she ran over and wouldn't let me go.
" Oh Amy I'm so sorry! Are you okay? "
" Don't make me answer that. "
" Oh! " She hugged me tighter.
Chad went upstairs, probably to get some more sleep, and I turned the T.V. on to hear the news.
" You hungry? " Nicky yelled from the kitchen.
" No. "
I hadn't eaten since yesterday. It's not like I wanted to anyway.
Flashbacks of Leon's blood on my hands flushed me. I felt so sick, then something on the T.V. caught my attention.
" This is Stacey Fern with breaking news on the nineteen mysterious murders that happened over the last thirteen months. The killer, a Leon Scabbia, age eighteen, was found by police, but in a messy shoot out leading to Leon's death. Police say they had no part in the shooting and are investigating that now. But the most recent murder commit by Scabbia just last week, is the most peculiar. Behind Gables Hospital, a body was found with a drop of radioactive waste near it but none inside the body. Only multiple stab wounds in the abdomen and chest. How--"
Nicky turned the T.V. off and stretched her arms out at me.
" Just wait a second okay? "
But at that point , I was about to throw up.
" No! No way! Leon would never do that! He went through some pretty messed up crap before but he wouldn't kill anyone! " I yelled.
" Nineteen people?! "
I was breathing hard and got nauseous. I ran for the bathroom and threw my guts up. Did Chad know this? Did anyone? Why would he kill nineteen people? Nicky was at the doorway. I looked at her. Why did she tell me to wait/ Did she know?
" Why? " I cried.
" Just--"
" Why? Did you know this whole time? He couldn't do that! "
" What happened? " Chad ran over, his shirt in his hands.
" He wouldn't kill anyone! "
" Oh no. Oh shit. "
I curled up, muffling my mouth with my knees.
" He wouldn't do that.He wouldn't do that. He wouldn't do that..."