Status: completed

Broken Storm

69

Ray's POV*

Dragging myself up the stairs around 7pm, I begin to wonder about Thorne, who hasn't even left her room since her return home. I bet she's hungry or something of that nature.
Her door is partially shut, so I give a quiet knock before entering.
No reply.
Maybe she was sleeping?
I pushed the door open a little wider and peered inside.
She was on the bed, facing the ceiling. I think she may have been a little upset.
I made my way over to the bed and noticed something.
Her eyes were partially open, staring up at the ceiling.
"Thorne?" I asked, sitting down next to her and shaking her a little.
I knew some people slept with their eyes open, but I didn't think she did.
She doesn't.
"Thorne?" I asked again, shaking her a little harder.
Was she even breathing?
I checked.
Barely.
Should I sit her up?
Yeah, that should work.
I took her small body in my arms and held her close, staring into her distant gaze.
"What are you looking at babe?"
She just looked on.
"C'mon Thorne. Come back to me....don't do this to yourself hun..."
Her eyes were heavily fixed on whatever she was looking at.
And they just kept on looking for the next twenty minutes.
Her heartbeat was rhythmic; a nice slow beat that matched mine.
I held her closer in fear.
Fear of what you ask?
I held her because I didn’t want to loose her.
"Thorne will you please come back to me? You gotta hun. You gotta come back to me."
I tear silently formed in the corner of her eye and rolled down her face.
She didn’t even blink.
Her once steady heartbeat stepped up; beating harder and faster. Louder and more stressed.
"Guys" I said in a near whisper, struggling for my words.
"Guys" I said louder, waiting for someone -anyone- to come for her.
"Guys!" I yelled, drawing much attention.
Mikey ran into the room, flipping the light on, showing just how pale and sick Thorne looked.
She looked cold even though the sweat glistened on her face.
"Oh my god! Ray what the hell happened up here?"
"I don’t know...She's just been staring up into....god knows where...and...And... I don’t know! I DONT KNOW!" I held her closer and tighter.
"I'll go get Bob. He's gonna bring water... I'm calling an ambulance and...."
"NO! I'll drive her."
"Ray are you insane? She could..."
"Shut up Mikey. I won’t loose her." I hold her limp body tight against my body as I carry her down the stairs and manage to tuck water in the crook of my arm as I watch Frank open the truck door for me.
Setting her inside, I climb into the driver’s seat, laying her head on my lap.
Her eyes looked on, lost in random gaze.
"What the hell are you looking at?" I whispered to myself as I started the truck, putting the water in the cup holder. Mikey runs over to my open window, standing on tip-toes to peer inside.
"What are you doing?"
"Saving the reason I have to live" I said as I put the car in drive and pulling away from Mikey, who I left standing on the dusty ground, still on his tip-toes.
I look down at Thorne once more, her shallow, even breaths becoming loud, struggled gasps, causing her chest to sharply rise and fall.
I place two fingers on her neck, checking her pulse, fast and uneven.
"Just hold on baby." I said, driving a little faster.
"Just hold on."