Believe in Me

Buzz.

I soon realized that as Kennedy's car slowly made it's way back to the house, I started hiccuping. It was an awkward sound. I had a tendency to squeak whenever I hiccuped. Naturally, this made me nervous to look at Kennedy. I could see him smiling at the corner of my eye. What a jerk.

"Did someone slip a squeaker in your drink?" He joked.

I glared at him as another high pitched hiccup slipped through my lips. "Shu--hiccup! up."

"You seem to have forgotten the whole 'big brother' thing." Kenny smirked.

I sighed and sank into my seat. I smoothed out the bottom of my sweatshirt as it bunched up. "I only hiccup when I'm nervous." I shook my head. "The last time I hiccuped this much, I had just woken up in a hospital bed, and the doctors told me my parents were dead on arrival."

"Jesus." Kennedy muttered. "I'm sorry."

I shrugged. "That was a long time ago. Thinking about it doesn't hurt as much anymore."

"We're here."

I felt the car bump up as we got onto the driveway. Unlike before, the lights in the house were on. This just made me even more nervous. There was no escaping this situation.

"Come on." Kennedy stepped out of the car.

I grabbed my Nikon and followed. It almost felt as if I was in Alice In Wonderland. After each step I took, the door just got farther and farther away. Now where is the fluffy little white rabbit yelling at me that I'm late? To be honest, I was completely fine with the door spontaneously moving away. And yet, reality caught up with my mind.

Kennedy threw his arm around my shoulder and gave it a squeeze. We both started at the front door in silence. That awkward break in conversation that always came before those big scenes in movies started. You could almost hear every cricket in the neighborhood start chirping.

"Would you like to do the honors?" Kennedy broke the silence.

Just like someone tied a string to my next breath, the air in my lungs stayed in its place. I reached for the gold door knob.

As if on queue, the knob began to turn just as my fingers touched the surface.

I pulled my hand back.

"Hey, Dad." Kenny addressed the tall man that stood before us. The man held a happily surprised grin on his face. The laugh lines on his face framed arches around his smile. Just above his lip, he kept a brown mustache. It was the same color as his thinning hair that supported a balding spot.

"Oh," he laughed. "We didn't expect you two to get here so quickly. The coffee isn't even done brewing yet."

I smiled This seemed to be the only thing I could do at the moment.

"Please, come in." The man ushered us inside. "Welcome to the family, Kitty. You can call me Dave if you don't prefer Dad." He chuckled.

"It's wonderful to meet you." I said sincerely.

"Dave?" Someone called from behind us. "Is she here already?"

Kennedy and I simultaneously turned around.

"Hi, Mom!" Kennedy beamed.

I held my breath.

The woman Kennedy had called Mom looked like one of those mothers from a television series. She was slender with brown hair that curled and sat on her shoulders. She, too, had laugh lines. I was thankful to see that she didn't wear a lot of make up, a bit of eyeliner and lipstick perhaps.

Before she made her introduction, the woman began to tear and pulled me into her arms. She smelled of fresh, crisp coffee beans and morning honey suckle.

I stood there in this stranger's embrace, wondering how I should react. The last time I'd been hugged like this was eleven years ago.

I hesitated but quickly hugged her back. I could hear her soft sobs as my own eyes began to well up.

"Darla, give the girl some air! She just got home." Dave laughed.

Dave and Darla. It seemed like a pair of names from a sitcom exactly.

Darla pulled away. her pale green eyes were now slightly red and puffy. She smiled. "Oh, I'm sorry. This is quite a welcome!"

"Kitty got the entire welcome when we first got home, Mom." Kennedy answered for me.

"Right, of course." Darla still smiled. "Do you like coffee, dear?"

"Yes, please." I nodded.

Kennedy put his lips to my ear. "Stop acting so innocent." He laughed.

I let out a false gasp. "Me? Act innocent? Of course not!" I winked then followed Darla into the living room into which she carried a silver platter with several mugs full of coffee.

"We tried to clean up as much as possible before you two arrived." Darla grinned. She placed the tray on the table in front of us as we all took a seat.

I immediately sank into the vanilla colored sofa.

"We really need to replace that old couch..." Dave sighed. "The springs are going bad."

"Do you mind if we move it into the garage so the guys and I actually have something to sit on when we play Left 4 Dead?" Kenny asked sarcastically.

"Sure, why not?" Dave agreed.

Darla cleared her throat, "So, Kitty, what are some of your hobbies?"

"Um," I searched my thoughts. "Photography, mostly, and when I'm bored, I write a bit or cut up some old clothing. You know, to make it new again."

"Photography?" Dave asked. "Well, Kennedy here and his friends have a band that need some promos--"

"Dad--" Kenny cut in.

"I'd love to take your promos!" I said in excitement.

"Oh," He smiled. "Alrighty then!"

"How was the party?" Darla changed the subject.

"Fine--" I said before Kennedy elaborated my answer for me.

"She ran off with Garrett within the first ten minutes of arriving." He said slyly.

My jaw dropped. "You timed me?!"

Kennedy shrugged with a smile. "Just a guestimate."

I narrowed my eyes. "Jerk."

He flashed a cocky smile to me. "You'll love me again eventually."

"Don't joke the poor girl if she has a crush on Garrett." Darla smiled.

I blushed, "Oh, no! No, no, no, no, I just met him. I was trying to find the bathroom--"

"A likely story!" Kennedy yet again interrupted.

I hissed. "If you expect me to love you again, you're not doin' so hot."

"Don't be embarrassed, sweety. Garrett is a nice boy." Darla reassured.

I felt my insides churning. I honestly didn't like Garrett. I didn't even know the guy! Sure, he had a nice face, but other than that, I didn't know anything.

"Oh, look she's blushing." Dave called out.

I put both hands to my face and felt the burning skin. I laughed nervously. There's no use in trying to hide my embarrassment.

A buzzing noise made its way to our ears from Kennedy's pocket. He pulled out his phone and smiled after pressing a few buttons.

"Hey," Kenny read aloud. "Do you think Kit would want to go with us to Tempe to see the lights?" He looked up. "Aw! He wanted to invite you! Well, I mean, I was going to invite you anyway, but still." Kennedy smiled with excitement.

I rolled my eyes. "What are the lights?"

"Every year the boys drive up to Tempe's town center to see the Christmas lights that the shopowners put up." Dav answer for me.

"We don't usually invite any of the female kind, but you can be the exception." Kennedy eyed me.

I stared at him skeptically. "Well, forgive me for changing the subject, but today has be hectic. Do you mind if I go upstairs already?" I asked in the nicest way possible.

Darla grinned, "Of course, sweetheart. You must be tired. Kennedy will be here tomorrow. Dave and I will be leaving for work around six."

"Alright," I nodded then scurried upstairs, but not before hearing Darla talk to Kennedy.

"Why don't you go to sleep this early? Follow her example!"