Status: No longer updated

Princess

Pulling your puzzles apart

This was where he wanted to bring me?

I stared at the beach in front of me. Certainly, it was very beautiful, almost like something out of a postcard. With its cloudless blue sky meeting the calm ocean, I knew that this beach was supposed to evoke something from me.

I just didn’t know what.

Was I supposed to squeal with happiness at the prettiness of this place? Or was I supposed to ask Dylan about the beach’s significance?

Glancing at him, I saw that his eyes were trained on the horizon, a small smile playing on his lips. Dylan seemed happier, more peaceful here, more than anywhere else I had seen him. Everyone had a place they felt most connected to. This was Dylan’s.

Figuring that I was supposed to sit quietly and admire the view, I tried to see what he did. But I didn’t, not really. And I didn't like to think about it, but I was disppointed that I still could not find a place I felt I belonged, though I shouldn't have been. It was ridiculous to think that I would be connected to the same place as Dylan Fuller but I had still hoped.

“You’re strange, Princess.”

I jolted out of my thoughts. “What do you mean?”

“Other girls would’ve demanded to know why I’ve brought them here. You’ve been very quiet.” His smile was lazy now but his eyes gave him away. He was curious.

I shrugged. “You like something about this place, I’m trying to figure out what.”

“You think too much sometimes.” Dylan’s eyes went back to the horizon and he was peaceful again. “But you’re right. I do like this place. Haven’t you noticed that it’s very quiet here?”

It was only after he had mentioned it that I did. A boy who liked silence was different from the one I had known. It surprised me that he would, not when everyone else, including me, preferred the noise of the city or even SITT. I’d found it comforting to know that there were others around me even if they didn’t know me. “Why do you like the silence?”

“It’s easier sometimes. When you’ve nothing to say, nothing real anyway, you shouldn’t speak at all.” His words reminded me of something else he had said. I wouldn’t mind if you acted ‘mean’ to me, as long as it means something.

So it wasn’t really the silence that he liked. It was honesty.

I supposed that it was true that people sometimes said or did things that they didn’t really mean. But I’d never really given it much thought before. It just hadn’t been something I would’ve thought about. “And you say that I think too much? I think you’re the one that thinks too much, Dylan.”

“I think that’s the first time you’ve said my name.” He smiled at me.

I flushed, trying to recall another time when I had but frankly, nothing surfaced. Had I really been that reluctant to say it? “That’s not the point.”

“What is then?” Dylan tilted his head to the side. Owen had done that a few days ago, I remembered, but I didn’t remember him looking so thoughtful about it. “That people say things they don’t mean but that’s okay?”

I flinched. It sounded as though the person he was directing the comment at was me. After all, I had done many things I didn’t mean but still did anyway. “No. It’s just that sometimes it’s less complicated.”

“I’d have to disagree with you on that one. I think it makes things more complicated.”

I didn’t want to admit it, but I knew what he was talking about and it wasn’t just me he was talking about. Still, I didn’t want to say it so I let my gaze drift towards the beach and asked, instead, “Why did you really bring me here? I don’t think we’re really here to discuss your deep thoughts.”

“Right again.” He smiled. “To be honest, I don’t really remember why I wanted to bring you here. Something about our game reminded me of this place.”

“Is this place…somewhere you went to when things got hard at home?”

“Was it really that obvious?”

I took that for a yes then. Dylan really was different from what I had expected. Being his father’s son, I didn’t think that he was capable of thinking so much. Unable to keep this thought to myself, I said, “You really are a contradiction, you know? There’s the side of you that's childish, it annoys the hell of me and the other side that seems like a deep thinker.”

“Everyone has two sides to them.”

Our eyes met. He leaned in closer to me and something about this was familiar. Then I had a sudden flashback. A memory of how exactly we’d met. We’d kissed at a flash mob and he’d been equally close. It hadn’t seemed as personal though, maybe because I hadn't really known who he was.

I shifted slightly, away from him and the moment-whatever it was-disappeared. I could still feel it but I didn’t want to acknowledge it so I said, teasingly, “That sounds like a line. Have you used it on other girls before?”

Dylan laughed. “I knew it! When you asked that question about my dating history, I knew that you’d be jealous.”

I rolled my eyes, glad that we were on more comfortable territory.
***
“There you are. Where’ve you been all day?” asked Owen, giving me a few minutes to collect myself after entering our room.

I rubbed my forehead as though Owen had supersonic vision and could see that Dylan had kissed me there. It’d been an awkward moment (f0r me at least) when he did so, because I could tell that he wanted more than that. But I really wasn’t sure if it was a good idea.

In any case, I replied, “Nowhere important. Do you have the file?”

He handed me the file, snuck one last curious look at me before lying back down on my bed (poor Owen had to sleep on the floor due to space constrains…served him right) and I took a sit before cracking open Dylan Fuller’s case file.

Case File: M03
Name: Dylan Fuller
Age: 17
Affiliated with: Mafia, father is the leader

Case being handled by: Kristen Hart

Status: Inactive with the Mafia. No evidence of having been involved in any of their crimes, though doubtful that he is entirely innocent. He was last spotted at Spencer’s Institution for Troubled Teens, where our own agent is stationed at.

More Information: Little is known about him, as the entire family is very well protected. Rumour has been that he is a bit of a player, with girlfriends ranging from daughters of other well known drug lords to models, and does not intend to carry on the family business; appears to be the only child.

I knew that the Agency had to be pretty desperate to include rumours on case files, so it meant that we really didn’t know much about the Fullers. This file really didn’t have use…though one piece of information was a little puzzling.

Dylan had not been the only child. Jenna Fuller was his older sister, wasn’t she? Yet she did not appear to exist on our files.

It was very strange.
***