‹ Prequel: It's Not A Love Song

Was I The Only One?

Come back and haunt me

After brunch breakfast with everyone, Joe dropped me off at home where I took a long shower and attempted to pick out an outfit for the show tonight. I also managed to book myself a manicure appointment to sort out the mess my nails had become over time. I had decided on some pale denim high waist shorts with a white t-shirt that had a pencilled owl on it tucked into them, I wore some cute grey shoes and a snazzy gold multi chain watch. Just to jazz the outfit up a bit I added a cute navy sailor’s hat with golden stitching too.

I hadn’t seen my mother for a couple of days which was odd but I knew she was busy preparing Nick for tour and making sure all the venues were perfected. Her job was vital to keeping the tour machine running smoothly. So, I drove through the rain in my beautiful car and headed to get my nails done.

Instead of being rude I kept up conversation with the bleach blonde girl who was doing my nails, she had a few interesting stories that were fun to listen to. I preferred talking to silence, I hated awkward silence. She told me about some of the famous clients she had had here, but nothing of great interest or anything I could replay to my friends or family. But still, she did an amazing job cleaning my nails up and painting them white; I didn’t like wearing fake nails because whenever I get bored I’d just pick them off.

When I pulled up to the venue, fans were outside in huge crowds. I was lucky that I was able to make it through the gates with my car and that they were respectful enough to not key my car. I parked my car next to what appeared to be my mothers then headed over to the fans with a security guard in tow with an umbrella.

“Hello!” I greeted them with a smile. “You guys are crazy, standing in this rain!” I exclaimed.

I snapped some pictures with them and chatted about the show for a little while, they were all very sweet and excited to hear Nick’s new sound and songs. It was nice to know that Jonas fans were here to support my boys through everything and always hope for their success.

From talking to the fans I moved into the venue where I was given a pass and directed to the lounge where everyone was chilling out. It was pretty packed, all family members were there along with Emma and her mom, Selena, Chelsea, the JB band, Nicole. Then I spotted her, Miley Cyrus. I was annoyed that she had gotten here before me so I was the one walking into a room with her in instead of the other way around.

My eyes widened at the sight of my grandparents, from my mothers side of the family. They live in New York so I was definitely shocked to see them there, wearing cream and beige and their thick rimmed glasses.

“Nana, Grandpa?” I squeaked and scurried over to them. “What’re you doing here?” I asked as I hugged them both.

“To watch Nicholas perform, sweetie.” My Nana said with her sweet smile.

I grinned at her bright but withered face, her wrinkles were deep but the shine was still in her blue eyes. “We’ve just been chatting to Joseph, I was quite sad to hear you two aren’t together anymore.” My Grandpa said, looking at me over his glasses.

“Yeah, well…” I turned my head to look at him, I caught him looking at us and obviously listening into our conversation. “People change.”

“Joseph hasn’t changed.” My Nana argued.

I just forced a smile and rolled my eyes jokingly, “I’m going to see Nick.” I told them and sharply made my way over to where Nick sat with Emma.

“Nice hat, I like it.” Nick complimented.

I smirked and adjusted it better on my head. “Thanks, excited?”

“Yeah, very.” Nick grinned, Emma kissed his teeth and he cringed. “Why my teeth?”

“Why smile with your teeth?” She retorted playfully, “Smile with your teeth and I will kiss them.”

Nick just shook his head and lovingly kissed his girlfriends cheek, I smiled sadly at the affectionate couple and decided to find someone else to talk to. I looked around the room for Joe but couldn’t see him anywhere. I grabbed my purse and decided I should probably go to the bathroom before I started jumping up and down like a crazy person.

I was very aware that a long haired, short brunette was following me. I stopped once the door was closed and turned around to face her with my arms crossed over my chest and a face of fury.

“Yes?” I snapped harshly.

“Julia, Joe didn’t cheat on you with me.” Miley said desperately.

I scoffed, “Yeah, then who did he cheat on me with?” I observed her carefully. She shifted uncomfortably, I was waiting for the one movement that would give her away and then it happened; she scratched her forearm. My face dropped, “You know who she is…”

Miley stiffened, “No I don’t.”

“You’re a good actress, Miley.” I told her with narrow eyes, “But I know you, you scratched your forearm and shifted from one foot to the other.”

She groaned loudly, “Okay, he told me the night it happened but I promised I wouldn’t say anything.”

“But you still let me say all those things to you?” I whispered.

She nodded, “I told you it wasn’t me.”

I walked up to her and wrapped her up in the tightest hug I could conjure up, she hugged back just as tight and we swayed from side to side. I kept repeating to her how sorry I was for everything, but she seemed to be forgiving me easily.

Finally, we peeled ourselves apart. “It’s nice to have my best friend back.”

“You know what you have to do now though…” I said staring at her with a smirk.

“I can’t.” She whined, “Jools, don’t make me do this.”

I smiled brightly, “I’ll get it out of you sometime.” She just shook her head, “I’m going to pee.”

“Too much information my friend.” Miley shouted as she walked back into the room of family and friends.

By the time I had found a bathroom, peed then gotten back everyone was filing out to go to the balcony. Everyone lined up at the back and smiled brightly as we stood in the dark, all the girls screaming as Nick began to start up the show. He played the show to perfection but again, forgot the lyrics to Fireflies but he just laughed it off this time and continued with his covers. The whole venue was very into the concert, jumping and occasionally singing choruses they had caught onto from a first listen or from watching videos online from the show the previous night. Either way, this crowd was livelier than the first which made me even happier.

When the show drew to a close we all gathered back in the lounge area and waited for Nick to come up from his dressing room to see us all. We chatted excitedly about the show; still high from the energy. I soon got over powered by all the noise so I excused myself for a moment to go for a walk alone.

I got distracted and just strolled around the backstage area of the venue. It was nice to spend some time just wandering around taking in my surrounding, my mind was like no mans land. My mind went back to where it was before the show, I tried to think of other things than who Joe could have possibly cheated on me with, Miley had always been the confirmed on in my mind which had settled my worries but now… I didn’t know. I was right back to being stressed.

And just when I thought that I would be alone, Joe came across my path.

He spotted me leaning against a wall with my head lolled back and my eyes closed as I was trying to clear my thoughts.

“Your mom sent me to find you.” I let his words ring in my ears for a few moments then opened my eyes to look at him, unfortunately when I opened my eyes a few tears rolled down my cheeks silently. “What’s wrong?”

I laughed at myself. “I’m so sick of crying.” I whispered, wiping the tears from my cheeks. Joe just stood, watching, listening. “I can’t think. I can’t function. I just…” I looked at his sad face, more tears coming now. “I’m so lost and I hate it, I hate it so much.”

“I know.” Joe replied quietly, his own voice laced with emotion.

“I’m so angry at the world. Sometimes I even get angry at God.” I admitted through gritted teeth. “I just feel like my life is never in my control.”

“God does everything for a reason.” Joe preached, trying to console me.

“Imagine…” I started, “Imagine your whole life falling apart in your hands.” Joe winced at my words and looked down to the floor, he never liked it when I spoke about my pain. “Now, imagine you’re seven.”

His eyes flickered up to me, “Your dad loved you, so much.” I scrunched my face up as I sniffed upwards, the tension in my brow was burning and the tears on my face felt like acid.

I coughed, choking on my sobs. “I know he did. But it doesn’t make it any easier.” I sighed, “And you don’t make my life easier! All I can freakin’ think about is who you cheated on me with and why the hell you did it, every time I try to ask you… you just ignore the question

“Fine, you really wanna know?”

“Yes!” I replied, completely exasperated.

“Okay then.” I stared intently at Joe’s face, watching it contort and stiffen as he shakily tried to compose himself. “It was Emma.”