‹ Prequel: It's Not A Love Song

Was I The Only One?

Have a little faith

“So Julia, are you going to the after party?” James asked me. I shrugged, “I’d be happy to escort you.”

I giggled childishly, “Well then, I’d be happy to go.”

We smiled at each other but jumped when we heard someone’s voice come over the sound system telling us to take our seats. I waved to James who saluted to me then we walked past each other towards our seats. I didn’t even look at Joe when I sat down next to Kevin and Emma, but Emma was shaking my shoulders with a wide grin.

“Oh my holy Gerard Way, he was gorgeous! What’s he called?!” She spewed out excitedly.

I swallowed the lump in my throat at the feeling of Joe’s eyes on me and tried to focus on Emma. “His name is James, I’m going to the after party with him.”

“Wow, well done.” She beamed.

The lights dimmed and everyone cheered and stood up, he began doing a medley of different artist’s songs with his own raps over them; it was pretty amazing. Emma and I danced together with our arms in the air gleefully. Once he’d finished his little rap compilation he introduced the Black Eyed Peas who walked from their table up onto the stage where they began to sing ‘I Gotta Feeling’

I clapped along to the beat and sang too, Emma jumped up and down excitedly with my mom who was a little embarrassing but I was just trying to focus on the people on the stage. Needless to say, Nick was amazing and the night was awkward.

I was ready to leave without James just to get away from the forced conversation and worried glances. Everyone was so cringe worthy when it came to trying to get Joe and me to talk to each other. Joe was, in a sense, cooperating with them but I wasn’t having any of it. They could try as hard as they wanted, I was not going to budge.

When James came over to the table I had never been happier to be taken away from my friends and family. Everyone watched me carefully and glared at James when he asked me smoothly, “You ready to go?”

I nodded and stood up, “Yep.”

I felt someone hold onto my arm, I looked down to my mom, “Where do you think you’re going?”

“To an after party with James, I can do what I want mom.” I grabbed my clutch from the table, “You did great Nick.”

He smiled at me and nodded, I turned my back on the people I loved and walked out with James’ hand on my back. It felt weird, it was a different shape and size to Joe’s and his was lower than where Joe used to put his. I’d have to get used to new things though; the old needed to be pushed out with some new excitement in my life and tonight was the start of that.

James guided me down the street where a bunch of his friends were. There were three guys and four other girls who all seemed friendly enough but were already drunk. They sang Christmas carols loudly as we walked across the road to a club called ‘Squared’ where Will.I.Am was DJing. It was a typical night in L.A, busy with cars and lots of buzz in the air. James walked up to the front of the line with me behind him and smiled at the security, they saluted at him with a similar smile and let us in. James looked over his shoulder at me with a smug look; he thought he’d impressed me, he obviously had forgotten that I was sat with the Jonas Brothers. But I satisfied him with a fake grin.

By the time we had found where his friends had seated themselves there was already a tray of shots on the table. The music pounded in my ears like a loud concert and the air was warm from all the bodies that were crammed into the club. I awkwardly slid into the semi circle of chairs next to one of James’ friends, but James put his arm around my waist once he was sat down and handed me a shot.

I tipped the alcohol down my throat and shuddered at the slight sting. James downed on himself, we knocked the glasses against each other then he handed me another which I swallowed as if it were water.

“Impressive.” James cooed into my ear. I shrugged bashfully as he threw his arm over my shoulder confidently.

After a few more shots, I sat dancing in my seat with James pressing kissed to my neck but I wasn’t paying much attention to him. I was chewing on the straw of my drink and flailing my hair around, I picked the lime from the rim of the glass and chewed on that then threw it onto the table.

My jaw nearly hit the ground at what I saw next. Joe, Nick, Kevin, Emma and Danielle all walked past the table I was at, they all looked back at me with glaring eyes. I slipped my straw back into my mouth and finished off the last of my vodka and lime drink. They sat around a table across the room from me but in plain sight, Joe was watching me like a hawk with angry eyes, I glared back at him and turned to James.

His eyes were on the new group too, “I think your ex boyfriend is going to slit my throat.” He said into my ear.

I chuckled and shook my head, “He can sulk all he wants.” I slurred out, tapping James on the cheek. I stuck my tongue out at James who laughed at me, I looked at him confused as he slid out of the booth but suddenly understood when he held out his hand for me. I grasped onto it and let him lead me towards the small dance floor.

I looked at Joe hoping he was getting ready to take me away from James, to prove he still wanted me and that he was willing to fight for me. But he wasn’t even looking at me, he was smiling and joking with Kevin.

It was like a stab in the chest.

A bar worker walked past with a tray of shots, I sneakily stole one and tossed it into my throat then dragged James into the dance floor. Pit bull’s song ‘Hotel Room Service’ was playing loudly, James pulled me close to him so our bodies were touching. I threw my arms in the air and smirked as James began to feel the curves of my body; I was definitely drunk otherwise I’d had moved his hands away from my ass in a second.

After a while of dancing closely with each other James placed his lips at my ear and said, “Wanna get out of here?”

I looked at him for a moment then nodded, he took my hand and guided me through the crowds. I remembered Joe once I was out of the dance crowds, I tapped James on the shoulder and shouted into his ear; “One second, I’ll meet you outside.”

James nodded and headed out, slowly I turned around to look at Joe one last time. Even in a crowded room we looked into each other eyes, I willed him with all of my strength to stand up and demand me to stay and not leave with James. But instead, he turned his head.

My heart bounced against my rib cage and I cleared my throat. I shakily made my way outside where James was waiting with car keys in his hand. I followed him down the street to where his car was parked but it wasn’t until I was inside the car that it dawned on me what I was actually doing. He had been drinking and was about to drive me to his flat.

“James.” I spat out loudly, “You’ve been drinking, you can’t drive.” I told him bluntly.

He chuckled, “Of course I can.” He leaned over and pressed a kiss to my lips. His lips felt odd on mine; but he seemed to like it. “Don’t worry.”

“I’m not worried.” I lied as I buckled in my seat belt.

He started the car and began to drive, he seemed to be driving fine but I was still clinging onto the edge of my seat with my eyes on the road like a hawk watches its prey. I kept an eye out for other cars and watched him drive too, he seemed pretty confident with himself when it came down to it. James was focused and didn’t even appear to be drunk.

But, the car following behind us had something to say about that. All of a sudden without any warning a blue light flashed. The car behind us wasn’t a police car but obviously one under cover as a single flashing light had been placed on the roof and sirens came out of no where. I would’ve seen a police car for sure. My palms began to sweat as I saw the panicked look on James’ face when he pulled over, he was going to fail whatever test they were going to make him do.

He lowered his window as the large police officer tapped the window, “Licence and registration please?”

James pulled it out from the side of the car door and handed it to him, the officer read it over then handed it back. “Can I help you officer…” He read this name tag “Officer Harrow?”

He smiled and nodded, “I saw you get into this car with this young lady after coming out of a bar, I suspected you to be driving while under the influence of alcohol. So please, can you step out of the car?”

The officer stepped back and James got out, before I knew it there was another officer, this time a female, opening my car door with an almost friendly smile. “Can you follow me to the police car please?”

I grabbed my clutch and nodded. I was absolutely petrified, I felt like crying but I had to keep some self control. I clenched my nails into my palm to hold in my fear as she led me to another actual police car that was parked behind the undercover one.

The officer stopped me from getting into the car. “Can I take your purse?” I handed it over to her immediately, “Spread your legs and arms, I just need to check you don’t have any weapons.”

I stood in a starfish fashion and she felt everywhere, even up under my dress; she was not the person I expected to be touching me there tonight. I glanced over to James who looked like a wet kitten, absolutely upset and scared.

I gulped. “Okay, I’m going to handcuff you but it’s just for safety reasons, okay?”

“Okay.” I squeaked, the metal was enclosed around my wrists tightly and I was ducked into the car. She wasn’t rough, I was glad I got a nice one.

She asked me a series of questions which I answered willingly and truthfully, she noted it all down on a pad of paper and even nodded along. She left me in the car and went out to talk to the other person who had handcuffed James. He was walked over to the undercover police car and basically shoved inside roughly, it was very scary to see.

The female and male officers conversed before she made her way back to the car I was in. She headed into the driver side and that’s when it hit me; I was going to jail.

She put on her seatbelt and took off her hat, “Okay sweetie, we’re going to have to take you back to the station for a little while. We need to question Mr James then we can let you go, okay?”

A tear rolled down my cheek as I nodded in answer to her question. “Yeah.” I whispered fearfully.
♠ ♠ ♠
Just so you know I have no idea if that's what happens when you get pulled over, I did a little research and found hardly anything so I just made the majority up.

More importantly we got 15+ comments! WOO, DANCE PARTY.

Let's see if we can get 15+ more, your comment can be a Christmas present!

P.S Merry Christmas everyone! It looks like it's going to be a white Christmas where I live, so I'm pretty excited.

QOTC: What do you want for Christmas?