‹ Prequel: It's Not A Love Song

Was I The Only One?

You catch me when I fall

I had never felt so much fear in my life. My body was shaking not only from the cold air but from the nerves and worry inside of me, it made me actually physically shake. I expected them to sit me in a room for a little while but no, they put me straight into the grey cold concrete box named jail. I almost screamed when they opened the door and watched me shuffle inside, once I was far enough in they shut the door behind me and locked it.

The officer checked through a square hole then shut it back up. My eyes widened as I looked around the room, plain grey walls with a concrete floor to match. A repulsive looking steel toilet and sink were in the far right corner with what looked like a baby changing area but was really a ‘bed’ or even a seat was in the far right.

I looked around the daunting walls. They seemed so closer together than they actually were, like they were going to suffocate me. My feet took me robotically towards the bed, I sat down on it and tried to wriggle my wrists that were still locked together in the handcuffs. I didn’t know if they were supposed to take them off so I didn’t mention it.

Because I was handcuffed I couldn’t wipe the tears that fell down my cheeks, I wasn’t just crying I was actually sobbing. I shuddered and shook, then cringed at myself. The tears dripped off of my nose, chin and jaw down onto my dress like it was a rainy day, some of the tears even turned black because of the amount of black eye make up I had on. The wetness on my face made me even colder so I tried to stop crying, eventually I managed to but then the tears just dried onto my face making it stiff.

I couldn’t even believe that I was sat in a jail cell, on tonight of all nights. What had I done to deserve to be put in this smelly, cold box? I tried to think about who I could call to get me out of this place, what would happen if James tried to pin things on me. I hadn’t a clue.

It felt like I was in there for hours upon hours and I had never felt so much relief in my life when that little square window opened followed by the door. The kind female officer who had driven me to the station was there, she walked inside with a smile. I tried to send her one back but I’d used a lot of energy crying myself a little swimming pool in the cell.

“Okay, it’s time for your phone calls. You’re allowed to leave the police station. You can either call someone to pick you up or get a cab.” She explained as she lead my shaking legs through some corridors.

“I’ll call someone.” I told her.

She nodded and stopped me at a glass window, it looked like a bank, where a basket of my things were. I put all my jewellery into my clutch speedily.

“Is that everything?” I nodded, “Now to get those handcuffs off you.”

She pulled the key from her pocket and unlocked them, as soon as she did I examined the pink marks they had lefts and began to twist and rotate my wrists in an attempt to get some feeling back into them. The officer waved me forward where I could see a phone that was propped on the wall. She gestured for me to use it so I did hastily.

I first of all tried my mom who didn’t answer, then I tried Emma who also didn’t answer, then I tried Nick and Kevin who, you guessed it, didn’t answer. I didn’t expect them to, it was three in the morning and everyone was over at the Jonas’s so I didn’t even try my own home.

This left me with only one feasible option to call, I had to call Joe.

I didn’t dare call any of my other friends because they were all insanely famous, the Jonas house rarely had paparazzi camped outside of it because it was in a more secure area whereas for example Miley; her home is more accessible meaning that people then to lurk around it more. One of the other problems I had was if Joe was going to answer an unknown call, I was praying that for once he would answer his phone. He usually answered his phones from unknown callers though, so I hoped this would be no different.

As I punched his number in and listened to the daunting sound of the phones connecting, a part of me almost wished that he wouldn’t answer because I couldn’t face the shame he would feel having to pick me up from jail. I wasn’t too concerned about whether I could handle being around him because right now I’d get into a car with anyone to get out of this place.

Then it happened, the dial tone cut off and was replaced with his confused and cautious voice, “Hello?”

My heart almost stopped. “Joe, it’s me.” He was silent on the other end and so was I as I waited for his reaction which never came. “I need your help.”

“Tell me where to be.” He stated simply, bringing a smile to my dry face.

“I need you to pick me up from Vermon Police Station.” I told him, my eyes tightly shut and my hand gripping the phone tightly.

He cleared his throat then spoke, “I’ll be there.”

I put the phone down and leant my head against the wall next to the phone. The officer tapped me on the shoulder, “I’ll take you to a room where you can wait.”

“Thanks.” I replied once again following her through the police station.

While I sat alone in a warm room I realised how cold my hands actually were, they were like ice blocks. I knew it would be at least 30 minutes until Joe got here so I took my heels off and sat staring at the wall trying to work out what Joe was going to say to me. He’d be angry for sure, he’d probably shout at me which always made me cry. I didn’t want to cry in front of him again.

I was more scared of Joe than my mom, my mom would understand but Joe would be even more annoyed because I was with another boy when it happened. I’d given him even more of a reason to be angry, earlier in the night I wanted him to be angry and upset but I didn’t ever think it would come this far. So far that he would be picking me up from a police station after I willing got into a car with someone that I hardly knew and I knew was over the alcohol limit. He had every right in the world to shout and scream at me and I was ready for it.

Only 20 minutes after entering the room I was shocked when an officer knocked on the door and signalled for me to come out, if Joe was here he must have sped. My tired legs shook as I tried to balance on the heels I was wearing but I managed to keep up with the officer who took me out to the front of the police station where I was to sign some documents

He was there, keys in hand. Joe had obviously thrown a hoodie on with a pair of jeans and the first pair of shoes he saw which happened to be a pair of Nike dunks. His hair hadn’t been put in place so it looked a bit messy but he still looked like a God.

There was still a plastic shield between us as I quickly read over the release statements and scrawled my signature on them to say I’d been released. While I was signing I noticed that the red marks from the handcuffs still hadn’t simmered down.

“You’re free to go.” An obviously agitated police man murmured, he looked tired and untidy.

I nodded and made my way towards the gap that would put me in the same room as him, once I got there I fully comprehended just how annoyed he was. His face told me everything; the way his eyes were narrow and how his jaw was clenched so tightly I was surprised his teeth didn’t shatter.

I cleared my throat, “Urm, thanks for coming to get me.”

He looked over me. I was suddenly hyper aware of how bad I looked, parts of my hair had fallen from it’s once neat up do and I had no doubt that make up was smeared all over my face. This was not the look I wanted when talking to Joe for the first time since we broke up.

“Are you okay?” His smooth voice almost knocked the breath out of me, I felt the familiar tingles in my stomach area and the light headedness that only he could give me.

I shrugged, “Bit cold, tired, achy.” I listed with a slight smile.

He couldn’t resist but smile back at me. It was nice to know that I had the same effect on him as he did on me; that no matter what we couldn’t be that angry at each other.

To my surprise he pulled off his hoodie and held it out of me. I was reluctant to take it, I would be engulfed in all that was him; his warm, smell, shape. It would make me forget why we broke up in the first place and I would slip straight back into the system we had before. I’d crave the times that our relationship was like an island, just the two of us completely wrapped up in everything that we were together. It would no longer be I and me, but us and we.

Or maybe I was just over exaggerating the power of an item of clothing.

I took a few steps towards him and reached out, I gripped my hand around the soft grey item and felt the weight of it when he let go. I looked at it for a few moments before I actually put it on. I was beyond caring about what would happen when I pulled it over my hair so I dragged it down my body and sighed.

It was perfect. I always loved wearing his clothes so to be in his hoodie was such a familiar yet distant memory. I pulled the sleeves down over my hands and brought them up to my face, I tried to make it seem like I was rubbing my nose when really I smelt it. I didn’t fool Joe, the smile on his face was a sure sign he could tell I was smelling it. I smiled bashfully knowing I had been caught and didn’t try to hide it anymore.

“We better get going.” Joe announced, I nodded and began to walk with him towards his car.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas.

Drop me a Christmas comment, 15+ seems fair.

QOTC: What did you get for Christmas and did you have a nice day?