Butterfly (Fly Away)

"Art school will be your cocoon."

Summer had always been Frank’s favourite season.

He loved everything that the beautiful weather had to offer. The trips to the beach, the walks in the woods; but most of all he loved going to the local park with his dog and his boyfriend and just...sitting down and taking in the world around them.

Sometimes he’d take off his shirt and attempt to get a tan, trying to encourage Gerard to do the same, but of course Gerard was having none of it.

“Come on, Gee. Please?” He pouted.

“Frank, no, stop it.” Gerard laughed, flapping his hands and looking away, because Frank had perfected that face.

“Fine, but you’re going to miss me nagging when you go away.”

Gerards face fell then. He stopped smiling at Frank and instead turned and outstretched his hand to Peppers who sniffed it cautiously before deeming Gerard as the real-real Gerard and climbing into his lap. He was looking for a distraction.

“Hey, whats up?” Frank asked, cocking an eyebrow.

Gerard said nothing, just stroked between Peppers’ ears, down her back and across her tail with a small tug, not hard enough to hurt, of course. He was never doing that again (Peppers is so small, Gerard misinterpreted his strength against the tiny dogs size. Of course, Frank had given him an earful while putting a batman kids plaster on the barely there bite Peppers had left Gerard with as punishment.)

“Gee, don’t ignore me.” Frank touched Gerards arm lightly from where he was lying, frowning. Again, Gerard didn’t respond.

Frank sighed, and moved to sit up wrapping his arms around Gerards neck from the side and resting his head on Gerards shoulder.

“I know you’re nervous about art school.” Frank sighed, pressing his lips lightly to Gerard’s neck for a second before sighing into the skin and pulling his face back a little to look at Gerards face. He could only see his profile, but that was enough.

“I just...don’t want to leave you.” He sighed.

Frank laughed. “That’s bullshit Gerard, and we both know it. You’re nervous about the school.”

Gerard didn’t say anything for a second, but then he sighed and stopped stroking Peppers long enough for her to climb out of his lap and wander over to examine the patch of flowers that were placed not far from where Frank and Gerard had chosen to sit.

“I just...don’t feel like I’d fit in there.”

“Are you kidding? You’re amazing at art, you wear eyeliner, you probably have more coffee in your bloodstream than actual blood and you’re bisexual. I’m pretty sure you tick all the boxes for an art school student.”

Gerard let out a puff of laughter and turned his head to look at Frank, slapping one of his arms gently before hooking his chin over it. “I just don’t handle criticism well,” he whispered, admitting defeat and just telling Frank the truth. “I don’t want to be told by some amazing artist that my work is shit.”

Frank sighed, “Well, I’m not going to lie, that’s probably going to happen,” he paused. “But, you’re still learning. You’re good...you’re fucking amazing, but you’re still learning. Maybe someone will tell you that your work is shit, but you can learn from it, improve and get better and better until you can sell your paintings for millions and treat me like the princess I really am.” He grinned.

Gerard didn’t laugh that time. He turned his head and pushed his lips to Franks slow and sweet, saying everything he didn’t know how to word properly. He pulled back, resting his forehead against Franks, his eyes darting across his face, taking everything in.

Franks eyes were still closed, but after a while, they opened and met Gerards, the blanket of his lashes lifting and revealing shocking green clashing with sparking gold. Gerard had painted those eyes more times that he could remember, but he could never get that colour right.

“You’re still just a caterpillar,” Frank whispered against Gerard’s lips. “Art school will be your cocoon.”

~~~

Butterfly, fly away