Status: New. Slow.

Keeping Life Simple

Five.

The final bell of the day rang shrilly through the school, while the pupils gathered their things from the desks they were sat at and made their seperate ways out of the school.

This was no different for Kian, he gathered his things from their place on his desk, and he placed them gently into his school bag, being careful to put them in their set position. He slung his bag over his shoulder, and then walked out of the classroom door.

He could recall his mother telling him that she would be there in the car park to pick him up at half past three after school. Yet when Kian made his way down the steps from the main building into the car park, his mother’s car was nowhere in sight.

He looked around nervously. There were lots of people, and Kian knew none of them. They made him extremely anxious, and he really wanted his mother to arrive and take him home, yet the family’s car didn’t appear.

****

Half an hour had passed, and the carpark had cleared. Kian had seen all the sixth formers that could drive leave, along with the lower school who’d left with their parents. He’d even seen his teachers leave.

Kian carefully placed his bag on the concrete ground, and sat next to it. He was cold, and hungry. He didn’t want to make a fool of himself, but he really was scared. He didn’t like being left alone for too long, and this was getting to be too long.

The sound of the main door opening, and then shutting a few seconds later caught Kian’s attention. He looked around to see a boy from sixth form, carrying a yellow rucksack.

The boy glanced down at him, then walked over to a bashed up car on the opposite side of the car park. The boy had auburn hair which was slightly longer than his ears, in a messy style. He was wearing thick framed, green glasses, and he was wearing a black leather jacket and red jeans. He slid into his car, started the engine and drove off.

A solitary tear fell down Kian’s cheek, before his eyes started leaking even more tears. He didn’t want to be alone. He wanted someone, anyone to be with. It wasn’t fair. Anyone else could cope with this situation, but not him. Kian knew of his autism all too well, and tried to ignore it but he knew that it was partly what was causing him to act this way.

He closed his eyes, and wished. He wished for his parents, for Frankie, his bear and he even wished for Emily and the boy with the green glasses. He wanted someone to hold him and tell him that he was safe.

Finally, a good fifty minutes after school had finished, Faye Donovan pulled up in her car. She saw her son curled up at the side of the carpark, and got out of the car and ran over to him. She sat down next to him, and ran her hand through his hair. She kissed the top of his head, and could hear him crying softly.

“Shh, it’s okay. I’m here now. Come on, let’s go home Kee.” She grabbed his hand, and they both rose from the floor and walked over to the car getting in, and driving away.

Not the best first day of school.
♠ ♠ ♠
Not very long, but an update, at least.
Hope you're all well.
Comments are appreciated a lot.