*** in the Dark

It Begins

The movie theater was practically deserted as the three friends made their way inside. James hated being the third wheel, but since it was him who had matched them up, Max and Amanda had insisted he come along.

“It’ll be great,” Amanda had insisted after James had answered no for the tenth time.

Great for you, James thought bitterly. Of course he was happy that his two friends had finally found what they were looking for, but having to be around them when they showed their happiness just made James realize how sad and lonely his life was.

“James, it’s this way mate,” Max called to his friend.

James shook his head and came back to the real world. They were standing in front of cinema three. James sighed as he thought of the hours of blood and guts he was now in for. Normally he would have been thrilled to see a few people being hacked to bits, but the presence of Max and Amanda made him gloomy and he couldn’t help but steal envious glances at the happy couple.
Why did they have to bring me here? James wondered. They probably felt sorry for me. What I wouldn’t give to have them disappear this very instant.

The three friends sat in their appointed seats and the lights began to dim. As the first few people began to die, young Michelle, working at the counter never would have guessed that the screams coming from cinema three were real screams until the cleaners came in two hours later to discover a bloody mess and the mysterious disappearance of three teenagers, Max, Amanda and James.