*** in the Dark

The Gruesome Tale

The six then began making their way up stairs.

“You got the tickets?” Orlando asked.

“Oh right,” Justin dug his hand in his pocket and began searching for the tickets. When they came out they weren’t in very good shape.

He began giving them out and Jordan said, “Cinema three, eh?”

“Why, what’s wrong with cinema three?” Aisling asked in a squeaky voice.

“Well, you know the stories don’t you?” Jordan continued, stopping when he reached cinema three, “About the three teenagers who…disappeared.”

“Huh?” Aisling’s eyes widened in terror as Orlando began pulling open the door to cinema three.

“Don’t listen to him, Aisling,” Justin said, “he’s just trying to scare you.”

“Well it’s working. I’m not going in there, no sir.”

Justin sighed, why do kids have to believe everything they’re told? “I thought you wanted to go see the movie.”

Crossing her arms stubbornly Aisling said, “I do, just not in there.”

“But it’s not showing in any other theater,” Justin clenched his fists.

Topaz smiled, “I wouldn’t worry Aisling. Didn’t you hear what Jordan said? Only teenagers disappeared. You’re perfectly safe.”

“Really?” Aisling looked up.

“Would I lie to you?”

Aisling cracked a smiled and Justin rolled his eyes. Everything they hear.

Trying to hold in their laughter the others followed as Aisling pulled Topaz in the cinema. They were the only people there, which was normal considering the movie came out over a week ago.

As they sat down, Aisling asked the question they were all dying to know the answer to. “What happened to the three teenagers who disappeared?”

“Oh, well,” Jordan put on a mysterious voice and had an evil look on his face, “obviously they were never seen again. All they found was a bloody mess, marking these very seats.”

Instinctively they all jumped up, then realised that the seats would have been cleaned by now, if not replaced.

“Some say,” Jordan continued like nothing had happened, “that the cleaners did it and that they hid the bodies behind the curtains, inside the walls. And if you listen really hard, you can still hear them screaming for mercy, begging their killer to stop.”
Jordan’s voice was nothing more than a whisper now and Justin had to strain his ears to make out the last few words.
“And to this day, the killer is still out there, waiting for his next victims to come along,” he ended and an eerie silence followed.

“Where do you hear these stupid stories?” Rickie asked, breaking the silence.

“It was all over the news ten years ago, duh.”

“Oh right. You barely watch the news now Jordan.”

“Yeah well—“

“Shh, it’s starting,” Aisling cut in.