*** in the Dark

Confusion is our Biggest Weakness.

Justin was cut off as the noise sounded again and the wide screen at the front of the cinema went all blurry. The sound kept coming, on and off, on and off, until finally the screen went black and the six friends were left in darkness.

It didn’t take long for the screaming to start. Justin knew that it was probably best not to move.
He sat back down in his seat and began calling to Aisling.

But then it was over, just as quickly as it had begun. The movie came back on and the sound was perfectly normal.

“What the?” He asked confused.

As everyone began opening their mouths to speak, one voice was heard above the rest. It was a scream, a scream of terror.

Justin whipped his head around to see where Rickie was standing next to a pool of blood. She was pale white, but didn’t seem injured. But then whose blood was it? Justin wondered. That’s when it hit him. There were only five people in the room. Where was Orlando?

“They’ve taken him,” Rickie sobbed, “The cleaners.”

“Don’t be stupid, Rickie,” Jordan walked over to where she was standing and put and arm around her shoulder, “that wasn’t real, I just made it up.”

“Then explain what happened?” Topaz quivered, “the locked door, the noise, the lights going out. I mean we were all screaming, we wouldn’t have heard anyone come in.”

Justin shook his head. He couldn’t believe what was happening. As the others argued, he made his way down the stairs, to the fire exit. It’s not safe here, he kept thinking, we have to get out. But when he reached the door, he realised there was no hope. The doorknob was missing and there were planks of wood nailed across the door to prevent anyone from getting out.

The others were still arguing when he got back. He couldn’t take it anymore, the noise, it was worse than what had come from the speakers, “Would you shut up!? Please,” he growled,

“Orlando is missing and all you can do it stand here talking.”

“Well what else are we supposed to do?” Jordan asked, “Orlando is gone, g-o-n-e, gone. We don’t know where he is, we don’t even know how to get out of here.”

“Jordan’s right,” Rickie began, “we’re going to die here.”

“Shut up Rickie,” Topaz shrieked, “that’s not helping. What about your fire escape Justin? Can we get out that way?”

“No, it’s boarded up,” Justin sighed.

“Well then we’ll un-board it,” Jordan said, taking the steps two at time down to the front of the cinema.

Then it happened, the déjà vu hit them all like a bullet. The same noise, the same fuzzy screen, the lights going out, then the screams. But for Justin, it was a little different. In amongst all the chaos, he swore he saw something, movement to his direct right, someone standing there, staring at him. He felt the chill run up his spine and he cringed away from darkness. Then again, it was over as quickly as it began. The many white faces Justin looked around to see were accompanied by yet another pool of blood. And this time, Justin felt like it was his blood, sinking into the carpet.