We Met at the Morgue

May 17th - 18th, 1999

I love you, Frank. I repeated that over and over again in my head, like a line in a play. Today was my birthday, I turn fifteen. I was hanging out with Frank, my best friend. We were hanging out in my room while my mom baked a cake. I was sitting on my bed and he was sitting Indian style on the floor.

"Remind me again, when do you get those braces off?" Frank asked.

"Another six months and the dentist with rip them off," I replied poking my metal accessories. I got them a year ago, God, did they hurt.

"I have pretty teeth so I don't need them," Frank mocked as he grinned from ear to ear, showing off his 'pretty' teeth. They were nice, but I wouldn't call teeth pretty. I love you, Frank. I continued to repeat in my head. We laughed and talked some more when we both paused. Silence clouded the room for a few seconds until Frank spoke.

"Happy birthday by the way," He smiled at me really wide.

"Thanks," I said. He greeted me with that, only when he did he was more energetic and happy. Now he's more sincere and stern, like there were more words in that than what he said. I looked down at my lap as these words pasted through my mind over and over until they reached the tip of my tongue, my lips wouldn't open though. I watched Frank as he reached into his back pocket.

"Don't, if that's a present then I want to wait until my party," I told him.

"Fine, your Majesty, since it's your day I'll so what you wish," Frank laughed while putting back whatever was in his back pocket. Once again there was a long silence. This wasn't like us.

"Frankie..." I began to say. I was about to spit out every thing, but it turned into something else. He picked his head to listen. "Do you like anyone?" I asked, hoping to get my answer. He turned away to the window and then looked at his watch.

"I have to go," Frank said and got up to leave. I felt sad and my heart sank.

"Why?" I asked.

"Cause, my parents want me home at a certain time. I'll be back for your party, promise," That's what he left with. I never saw him after he walked out my bedroom dark. I bit my bottom lip trying hard not to cry. Frank didn't like me, he knows I like him, but I'll never be able to have him.
He never came to my birthday party and the next day I saw ambulances and police cars all around his house. I walked to my neighbor's house and asked what happened.

"Frank's parents were found dead, torn a part by something or some one. Frank's gone. They don't know what happened to him. The police think either he did it, or the killer took him," Mr. Samson told me. My heart broke...Frank wouldn't kill anyone let alone his parents. Now he's gone and he left me here all alone.
The police shortly asked me a bunch of questions.

"Was Frank very violent?" One asked me.

"No," I answered with tears in my eyes.

"What about angry?" The other asked. I shook my head.

"Did he show any signs of psychotic behavior?" The first one asked.

"No, sir," I said. Before the other could speak I broke down in tears and full of rage. "Listen, Frank Iero was a sweet, kind, and amazing boy. He wouldn't kill anyone nor is he able to. The day Frank would ever kill someone, especially his parents is the day the world goes to hell. Instead of thinking a small, not very strong, sixteen year old boy tore is family to shreds, why don't you look for the real killer. Some one whose capable of tearing flesh. Look for Frank! He's somewhere out there! Stop trying to blame somebody so quickly! Now good bye!" I slammed the door in their faces and slid down it as I sobbed.

I would remember those two days for the rest of my life and cry myself to sleep every night until Frank was found. Unfortunately...they never found him or the killer. My heart would continue to break every day, a little bit more, and I would stare at our memories forever.