We Met at the Morgue

May 18th, 2009; Should I Care?

I awoke come hours later, I think, I hope it was a few hours later and not fifteen minutes. I still felt Frank's arms locked around my body and felt so safe.

"Hand in mine into your icy blues and then I say to you, 'We could take to the highway' with this trunk of ammunition too and I'll prove myself to you, and we'll keep it running," Frank quietly sang into my ear. Soft like a lullaby that would quickly send me to sleep again if I didn't catch my eyes closing.

"I forgot you could sing," I said in a quiet, raspy voice because I was still tired. Frank stopped singing after I spoke.

"Hey, Sleeping Beauty," He chuckled. Even when he merely spoke his sweet voice flew through my ears so softly.

"How long was I out for?" I yawned.

"Just an hour," Frank answer and pet my hair with one hand. I wish we could be like this forever. "My friends went to look for Dennis, Ray said that we need some catching up to do, and it he found out anything that he would call," He told me. All I did was nod and close my eyes, treating his voice like a melody. We both tried to scan our minds for questions.

"How was your life without me?" I asked. I sounded like one of his ex's. He fell silent.

"Miserable," He said with all honesty. "I was alone for a few months and I couldn't take being alone. I missed you so much that I-" He stopped himself and quit talking.

"What did you do?" I asked. Everyone thing continued to be quiet. "What did you do?" I asked again. I hate repeating myself.

"I watched you sleep...like a stalker kind of and I felt so bad. I thought that if I showed myself that you would resent me and think that I killed them," Frank confessed. I began to think about the shadows and figures that I saw all those times. "After a while I thought you had forgotten me so I quit trying to be seen all together and just stayed in the shadows. I wanted to make sure that you were okay, Sadie," He continued.

"I knew it had to be you all those times. I saw your figure in the shadows out of the corner of my eye, your silhouette in front of me but seemed imaginary. All the therapists were wrong," I said. I was mostly saying it to myself, but to Frank also.

"So you never forgot about me?" He asked with a sadness.

"I never stopped thinking about you," I confessed. I love you, Frank Once again ran through my mind. I haven't thought about my feelings for him in a while, but they were never forgotten. "It's sad, I know, but you have no idea how much you mean to me, Frank," I continued.

"Sadie...how much did I mean?" Frank asked as he slowly turned me around to face him. I looked deep into his never changing, hazel eyes. I searched for the words even though the truth was right on the tip of my tongue. My mouth tried to form each word but hesitated. "You know you can tell me," He said and put a lock of hair behind my ear.

"I loved you," I finally confessed and I could feel my heart speed up with each letter that I sounded out. I saw Frank's face drop.

"Loved," He repeated with an emphasis on the 'ed'.

"No! No, no. I...still...do..." I kept confessing. I felt like my heart was going to explode. "I was going to tell you on my birthday, but you ran away," I said with my heart dropping now. His expression sent all hope down the drain. Each time I opened my mouth to spoke I felt like I put fifty pounds of guilt on Frank's shoulders and then pressed down.

"You're fifteenth birthday," He thought out loud. Everything was probably rushing through his head like a speed train. The silence was overwhelming. Frank reached into his back pocket and handed me a wrinkled, folded note that said 'Happy Birthday, Sadie' in Frank's handwriting. I unfolded it all and scanned through it.

Dear Sadie,

First off, Happy Birthday! How many times have I said today? This is probably the hundredth. You should know I'm not good with words so this will take me about three hours to write one paragraph. Mrs. Korican would be proud, wouldn't she? Our poor English teacher. I'll just make this quick and painless. I want to be with you, Sadie. I have for a while, I'm sorry.

-Frank


My heart began to pound again and everything in my world went in rewind so that the crashes never happened. The dark cloud that cursed me with it's eternal darkness, depression, and gloom just shifted away and showed me a heart shaped sun which graced me with it's light of hope and happiness. I thought I would only see these words or hear them in my dreams. Whatever form of higher beings that blessed me with this day, I thank you with every bone, every cell in my body.

I re-folded the note and just looked at it in awe. Frank then lifted my chin up the knuckle of his index finger and looked into my eyes with his soft, hazel. It was like he was searching for something. He closed his eyes slowly as his face leaned into mind and our lips connected slowly. I longed for this day, well, night. I dreamed of this moment for forever. I savored every second of this kiss and would remember every feeling I got. Happiness, excitement, love, and comfort. I pulled away and smiled. I felt like I glowed. Frank smiled back at me and cuffed my face in his hands, stroking my warm, blushing cheeks with his thumbs.

"I wish I never left you alone. I wish I would've been with you then so I could savor every second I had with you," Frank whispered tenderly.

"I wish that too. It dwelled on my mind every day, I would dream that I could change what happen and just confessed everything to you before you left my house that day," I said. I was going to continue but Frank's phone rang.

"It's Ray," He said and answered.
♠ ♠ ♠
Cliff hanger....