We Met at the Morgue

May 18th, 2009; Falling Fast

Cars that would normally go fifty or sixty miles per hour looked like still lines of light that we just ran past going about one-hundred miles per hour. The speed didn't worry me, the thought of Frank tripping and us dying didn't scare me, the thought of Dennis just laying there coughing up his own blood did scare me. It terrified me. I never want to see my best friend become a lifeless, blood sucking creature. Dennis, the boy I've known since college. The boy whose always been full of happiness and joy should be able to become of a vampire. His skin should never be cold, his eyes could never be darker than the day, and him in general...could never be mindless, soulless, or evil at all. Dennis is the purest, nicest, sweetest man I've ever met. The wind rushed against my face and wiped away any of the fallen tears that landed on my cheeks. Frank hopped on car roofs but jumped off right when his feet touched the metal. He seemed so weightless when he was running. It was like we were grazing against the wind, just soring over everything. I tried to look at all the sites, but everything came back down to how Dennis was. How much pain was he in? Would his suffering ever end? Why would they hurt him? Why?

The running stopped as Frank set me down in front of an alley way. There was a large blood trail leading past Frank's friends to a man huddled over gagging and puking. I knew it was Dennis, but it didn't seem like it was him anymore. He was changing into a monster. A fiend of the night. Soon his loving eyes would grow angry and lusting for human blood.

"How much time does he have?" Frank asked as I pushed through the group so see my fallen friend. I tried to listen in on what everyone had to say, but I was more worried about Dennis of course. He heaved an purged out gallons of blood. He was surrounded by his own blood. Every step there was a thick, red puddle.

"Dennis..." I silently called out to him, heart broken by him changing.

"Honestly Frank, he's changing fast. When we found him he had puked a lot and he doesn't remember anything," Ray answered. I reached out to touch Dennis' back, but he already turned around. His face was covered in spots of blood and so were his clothes.

"Sadie?" He called back out to me as he continued to gag. His voice sounded so pained like he had been through so much suffering.

"I'm right here Dennis," I told him as he looked up at me. His eyes were no longer brown they were fading to black. I saw Dennis give me a weak smile, but he put so much happiness into it. I bet I was the highlight of this moment.

"I don't know what's wrong with me, Sadie. I can't stop...am I dying?" Dennis asked as he sobbed and puked. "What's wrong with me?" He knew he was asking questions that I couldn't correctly answer.

"Ray, how long do we have?" Frank asked sternly.

"About a few hours," Ray answered.

"Sadie...I'm sorry if I die. I don't want to leave you...you don't deserve to be all alone," Dennis gagged between words and kept crying as he did.

"You aren't going to die!" I yelled out. It was tell myself, not him.

"Please, call 911..." Dennis begged as he kept puking up blood. Ray step in and talked to him.

"I'm sorry, but no hospital can help you right now. I'm going to take you somewhere and make all of this go away...I promise you're safe with me," Ray told him as he scooped Dennis into his muscular arms. "Frank, we'll meet you back at the house," Then all of them were off as I stood there in utter shock.

"Do you need a minute?" Frank asked me as he pulled me into a tight hug. I shook my head and held all of my tears back.

"No, let's just go," I ordered and got back onto Frank's back. Without another word Frank ran off into the night. Our next location was unknown to me...but at the moment I really didn't care.