We Met at the Morgue

May 22th, 2009; Wedding Bells

"I'm sorry to bother you, Sadie, but I'm afraid we have to talk," Claud told me.
"Why you so...I don't know how to put it, but shy?" I asked. Claud paused.
"It's just how I am. I've been serving Lord Vincent since I can remember, he yells if I talk out of term," Claud answered sadly. I ran some shampoo through my hair and washed it a little.
"You shouldn't be. What is Vincent like?" I asked.
"Sweet and nice, generous and wealthy," He lied so badly.
"What's he really like? I know he's none of those things,' I ordered. I began to think of Frank, where was he?
"I can't say," Claud told me. Vincent might have been listening and Claud wouldn't want to upset his boss.
"Do you know where Frank is? And the others?" I asked in a depressed tone. He paused for a long time. He was trying to hold back.
"I can't tell you, I'm sorry," Claud replied. Sadness began to loom over me as my world faded to black again. Would I ever see him again? If I only I could tell him how sorry I am for everything I've done. If only I could get out of this, but I'm helpless. I don't have any super strength or werewolf powers. I'm just Sadie. "If I could I would tell you," Claud said. I began to cry again.
"Why? Why can't I just be happy?" I cried. "I don't want this, I don't want to marry Vincent! I want Frank!" I cried like a whiney little kid.
"I understand, I'm sorry," Claud said. I got out of the tub and grabbed my underwear and a towel.
"Sorry doesn't change anything," I told him as I walked out the door. Claud had laid out a beautiful, white, medevil wedding dress for me to wear. He turned around so I could dress.
"If you need any help, please let me know," He said, his back facing me. I attempted to get the corset on, but I couldn't tie the laces.
"Claud, could you please help me?" I asked still sad.
"Yes," He answered and walked to me. The laces sufficated me and almost borke my ribs, at least that's how it felt. "That should be tight enough," Claud said as he tied the laces. He also helped me get the dress on and shoes. They were white ballerina shoes, with white laces that tied up to my knees. "You look beautiful," Claud commented. He sat me down in a chair and began to work on my silver and blue hair. Claud pulled and tugged on my hair until it was in a nice french bun with my side curls, curled near the side of my face. "Just lovely," He commented again. I looked in the mirror to see my reflection. I did look pretty, but I didn't see Claud's reflection. I turned around to look at him.
"Vampires really don't have reflections?" I asked.
"Unfortunately, no. I've forgotten what I've looked like," Claud answered sadly. I could see him perfectly.
"Must be sad," I said.
"It is. Every since I've been brought this curse...I've been unhappy," He replied as he sat down at the foot of the big, bed. "No love, no soul, not even a life. I had a lover once, a soul, a life...happiness," He began to confess.
"Tell me," I said.
"No you don't want to hear it," Claud replied. I could see him drift off, thinking about every detail.
"Tell me, please," I insisted. He took a pause and looked up at me.
"Her name was Abbigale. She was...well beautiful is an understatement. She was an angel that had been cast down from Heaven to tease me. I was just a worker at my father's printing press. I stacked papers so they could be delivered. It didn't pay much and wasn't fun, but it was next to Abigale's family's store," Claud began. I smiled as I saw all the happiness in his eyes. "Her parents didn't apporve of me, but of how I looked. Long black hair, glasses, nerdy as your time would say. They wanted her to be with a wealthy, loyal, handsome man, but she told them that she wanted to be with me. My eyes, my face, my heart lit up with a light brighter than the sun. For so long, I would look up at the stars and all I would see is her name and her face. No astronomical figure could match her beauty. No Greek or Roman goddness could compare. Her long yellow hair and bright blue eyes. Fair skin, no flaws that no man could find. I could stare into her eyes all day," Claud continued. I saw his eyes shifted from happiness to sadness and heart ache. "She asked me to run away with her to a different town. The night we were suppose to go her parents married her to another man. It broke her heart and mine. I never knew what happened to them after that. I heard from a few people that she had killed herself, but I didn't stay in my town long enough after to find if it was true. That's when Vincent found me, crying and ready to die. I was far away from society. Then he cursed me, turned me into a vampire," Claud finished as he took off his glasses to wipe his tears away. "But, I can now manipulate thoughts and make believe anything," He said. Everything clicked. When Claud talked to me when I first arrived at the castle...I believed him.
"What did you do to me?" I asked. He looked up at me with fearful eyes. He knew I had figured it out.
"I was ordered to make you believe that Frank killed people and that Vincent was a good guy. I lost it all after that night. I met up with Frank and I saw the same person I was...he was me. You were being married off to another man. I'm sorry," Claud apologized. A knock on my door broke out conversation. It was a servent.
"My Lady, you're wanted for the ceremony. Claud, you come aswell," The servent left and I got up and began to walk away.
"It's okay. Vincent is the real monster here. I'll make sure he's not happy, ever," I said and left.