We Met at the Morgue

May 17th, 2009; Taking Names and Hiding Bodies

Dennis has an issue with standing on the breaks when he stops, so it always forces me forward and the seat belt strangles me. I'm a very light person, if I were in an accident the seat belt wouldn't help at all. I'd find some magical way to slip out from the death trap and fly out of the window. I never got the concept of seat belts really. They're suppose to save you from flying out of your car's windshield, but it could always cause really bad inner damage.

"You okay?" Dennis laughed out. I coughed a few times.

"Tomorrow, I'm driving," I ordered. I realized myself of the horrible devise and walked into the Garden City Morgue while linking arms with Dennis. We skipped in like we were from the Wizard of Oz.

"We're off to see the people! The dead people of the morgue!" We sang as we do every morning. It's in the tune of 'We're Off to See the Wizard'. Bethany, the secretary, giggled at us from her desk. Bethany is an older woman, the oldest hear besides Mr. Hawlray.

"Happy Birthday, Sadie," She smiled warmly. She's very motherly, whenever we have a bad day we come to Beth and she helps us out of any anger or depression.

"Thanks Beth," I smiled back. Beth is a larger, black woman, with warm brown eyes, and a smile that never leaves her face. The long hallway to the back where the bodies actually are is a very dull, cold hallway. The stench of death just creeps up behind you and surrounds you like a band of Barbarians. As bad as the feeling of death just looming over you and hanging around everywhere like a black cloud, it's a fun job and fairly easy. As we do is check off whether or not the bodies are accounted for, check what they died of, and put them in their little chambers, as I call them. Dennis, walking beside me, took a deep smell of the hall.

"Can you smell it?" He asked with a smile. I shook my head and that's when Dennis broke out into song. "The smell of the death that looms around the children's bed and creeps into their sugarplum heads," He said.

"No, just, no. You really need help," I giggled. As we walked into the big, open, cold room with an over powering smell of the dead, I had a bad feeling wash over me. Dennis grabbed the clipboard off of the hook and scanned over all of the names, some John and Jane Does.

"They aren't that many people today. Only twenty," He told as he threw it onto the metal table.

"We'll have more by the end of the night," I reminded him and threw the feeling away.

Hours past by and slight feeling of paranoia began to sink in. I was always looking over my shoulder, but no one would be there. I'd hear things in the back of my head reminding me I'm not alone. I took a deeper meaning to that than just Dennis standing next to me. I swear I saw some figures standing in the corners, watching me. They could just be hallucinations, but they never lasted this long before. Dennis was constantly checking on me and making sure I was okay. We finished are second batch of dead bodies, all together we've had thirty-seven dead visitors and it was only six o'clock.

"Hey Dennis, I'm going to get some air okay? Want anything?" I asked as I took my white jacket off.

"No, I don't want to spoil dinner," He said with a grin.

I nodded and left, walking quickly out of the door. The warm, summer air hit my cold face. The whole morgue is refrigerated so the bodies don't decay and the hot wind felt nice. I began walking quickly so I could get back quickly. The sky still had light, the moon was very faint and the sun was fading slowly. The sky was purple, yellow, dark orange, and red. I love the dusk. I walked around the building and down the street to the local Coney Island. They're hot dogs and Greek salads are amazing. I ordered three hot dogs and a baby Greek salad with an extra pita and extra dressing, I know Dennis will get hungry eventually. I smiled at Tony, the man who works at the register and I've known since I was a little girl. My dad use to take me here all the time, so Tony knows me by heart.

"Happy Birthday, Sweetheart," He called before I left. I gripped the big, brown paper bag tight. This is one of the safest cities, but you still never know. As I walked I unwrapped one of the hot dogs and chomped on it. I skipped breakfast and haven't ate since, my tummy was mad and roaring at me. A man, across the street, I could see his face but I saw his figure. It was Frank again. He was starring at me, his eyes followed my movement. I couldn't take it anymore.

"What do you want!" I yelled. A car drove in front of his figure and he was gone. Just like in the movies. I was loosing my mind...that was it, it had to be it.