Status: May take a few days in between updates, but very much alive

Worth The Wait

Ch. 1- chance encounter

He couldn’t believe how he gotten to this point. He was 22, a millionaire, the most beloved man in the hockey world’s media and the captain of the Stanley Cup Champion Penguins. Yet still something was missing. He grabbed his coat with the intent of going for a brisk walk in the crisp air of the city, leaving whatever her name was in bed. He looked at her sympathetically as he put on his jacket and apologized to her in his mind, he didn’t have the heart to wake her up just to let her down. He didn’t really remember her or the events of their night…though it wasn’t hard to figure out how it ended. She wasn’t ugly, she looked like a typical puck bunny and he had obviously taken the bait as she had reeled him in. Regretfully, he turned to go and as he stepped out into cool fall air, he let it wipe his conscious clean.

He kept his hands in his pockets and walked swiftly, all the while his mind racing. The last time he’d been truly happy was when he hoisted the cup above his head, in that moment everything had made sense. Though he had his teammates, friends and family to celebrate with, he didn’t have what he thought would come easily with the territory of who he was and what he’d established. He missed being able to trust someone, let himself get wrapped up in another’s arms and actually feel safe after a long day and his muscles ached. He’d had relationships but never one that made him feel like his life was totally complete, and he didn’t even know if he really believed in it, but now he felt like it was virtually impossible to trust anyone because the only reason girls wanted to be with him was because of who he was and what they’d gain. It shouldn’t have mattered really, but it was something that he’d secretly suppressed, something he’d never talk about but wished for nightly.

Until that happened for him, he wouldn’t allow himself to get wrapped up in searching for it- his life was what it was, and it certainly wasn’t a bad one. Guys wanted to be him and girls wanted to be with him. Even if their motives were self-gratuitous, he still was the object of many desires. He was a little hung over from the night before and he just wanted to go home and sleep. He had party to go to tonight. Jordan was having another party at his place to celebrate the beginning of the season and the reuniting of the team. He didn’t have to go, it wasn’t a formal thing, but as his friend and captain, he wasn’t going to miss it.

Pittsburgh was beautiful this time of year, though it was usually relatively cold. His place was a decent walk away and his head was pounding from downing so much beer the night before. He was relieved to see the iconic Starbucks logo down the street and properly perched on the corner. He didn’t realize just how cold his cheeks were, but as soon as the warm air from inside the building hit him in the face he knew it had to be colder than he thought. He was still in a daze and his reaction time was still off, after he ordered his strong cup of coffee he turned to walk to the bar and ran smack into someone. When he looked up in shock to apologize, he looked her in the eyes and felt his heart sink. He quickly stammered out an “I’m sorry,” and slowly walked over to get his coffee but kept turning to look at her. There were probably two drinks in front of him, so by the time his was ready to come up the girl was standing by him waiting for hers.

He felt like an idiot, stealing glances at her like he was in high school. She didn’t say anything but he could see the natural pinkness of her cheeks turning rose colored. The genuine happiness her smile projected, and the way her dark hair bounced softly on her shoulders as she giggled. He tried to take his attention off her and turned his gaze back to the bar as his drink was set on the counter. He took a deep breath and felt the heat of the coffee sink into his hand as he prepared himself to leave.

“Shit!” he yelled as he knocked into the girl again. This time he had a full, hot coffee in his hands and some of it poured out of the top of the lid. He quickly jumped backwards, trying desperately to just miss both he and the beautiful girl he couldn’t keep his eyes off…or apparently his body. He didn’t spill it on himself, but that wasn’t to be said of the girl.

She let out a nervous laugh. “It’s okay, you’re quite clumsy aren’t you?” she joked as she wiped her jacket. When she spoke to him he instinctively listened, her voice pulled him to her.

“Yeah,” he was embarrassed. “I don’t know why. I’m so sorry, I feel like a jackass.”

“No, it was a mistake, I know you didn’t do it on purpose,” she smiled at him, still wiping herself off, and he was shocked she wasn't yelling at him in anger.

He wanted to pull his hair out in frustration, he felt awful. “Can I get you anything? I’d offer a coffee but you already have one..,” he said as his mind was searching for a way to make this up to her. “is there anything I can do?” he didn’t know why this minor accident had him feeling so terrible.

“It’s okay, really. These things happen,” trying to reassure him she wasn’t fuming.

“Where are you headed?” he quickly asked before realizing what he was saying. “I’ll walk with you…I know Pittsburgh is so dangerous.” He didn’t know why he just asked that or sounded like such an idiot.

Her brown eyes quickly met his. “I don’t see the harm in that, if you really want to, sure,” her words bounced with optimism and he just wanted to be around her longer.

He hadn’t exactly thought she would say yes to him, but then again he was Sidney Crosby. Actually, he had on a beanie and was a little disheveled—not quite attractive in his mind, she might not know who he was after all. She didn’t act star struck or like she even cared, so he couldn’t quite figure her out.

As they walked out the door together he couldn’t believe he was actually walking her home.

“So where are we going exactly?” he questioned.

“Well, I go to school in Pittsburgh-“

“So you live on campus?” he cut her off.

“No,” she finished her sentence, “I live in an apartment near campus. I didn’t want roommates and I’d rather have my privacy.”

He walked with her and talked about school and what she was studying, pressing her to answer more and more about herself. He was intrigued to know everything he possibly could about her. As she spoke he noticed the soft curves of her face and how her curly brown hair let the wind blow through each strand. He would’ve reached out and grabbed her hand into his right then if he didn’t think she would completely think of him as a creeper.

“Oh my God!” he gasped. “I feel like such a dick, I just realized I didn’t even ask you your name.” he was mortified, he couldn’t believe how rude he’d been. He was so caught up in talking to her he didn’t even ask her the most basic of questions.

She giggled, she was keeping time in her mind to see how long it would take him to ask her that. “It’s Phoebe. Took ya long enough to ask. And what about you?” She knew exactly who he was, but she wanted to see how long it would take him to introduce himself. She was impressed thus far, he didn’t try to use his fame to his advantage.

He looked at her surprised, “I’m Sidney,” he said slowly.

She sighed, “Well, Mr. Crosby, I was wondering how long it would take you to formally introduce yourself,” she joked with him and he again looked at her, eyes wide.

“You knew and you didn’t say anything?” he couldn’t keep his smile to himself.

“Of course I knew. I know more than you think,” that was a leading statement, and she had him hooked.

“Oh yeah?” he flirted back. “What’s that supposed to mean?”

“Oh, let’s just say…I know people,” she flirtatiously took a devious sip from her hot Starbucks cup.

“People?”

“Yep. I know a few Flyers actually.”

“Flyers? Philly? Like who?” he couldn’t stand them. He couldn’t believe she actually knew them—she lived in Pittsburgh, it was a bit of a ride away.

“Well I know a good amount of them, not all of them, pretty well... but I do know Mike Richards.”

Ugh. Crosby and Richards couldn’t stand each other and the look on Sid’s face probably gave that away though he tried to play it cool. “How the hell do you know him?” he asked shocked, all the while never taking his eyes off her.

Her eyes quickly darted from his to the ground then finally met his gaze again. “He’s actually…my…fiancé, “ she quietly stammered out and he felt his stomach tighten like never before.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, this is the Sid story I promised a while ago. It's for a very special friend :) Let me know what you think, so message/comment. Thanks guys!! Enjoy!