Gravity

Kiss Me

Jacob Black was once again, nervous.

Driving in his car to Port Angeles was probably the longest hour. He had the radio off, and bounced his left leg nervously, and tapped his fingers against the steering wheel repeatedly. Not only was he meeting Charlotte's dad, but also her supposed 'strict/insane' grand father. He had loosened his tie long ago, knowing that he was in for a long night, and he might as well relax while he still can.

But, he eventually drove into the driveway of Charlotte's house, it seeming a lot bigger, and a lot more intimidating then it had the other times. He did notice it looked more... Real? Usually when he saw it from the outside it was dark with no signs of anyone insane, but now the lights were on inside, they had hung up multi-colored christmas lights, seeing as it was early december, there was a wreath on the door, and you could see a large christmas tree through the picture window.

He parked his car, and got out slowly, pushing his tie back up, and straightening it. He didn't like wearing dress clothes. They were too restrictive, and after years of running around in nothing but jean shorts, and sweat pants, wearing a tie, and a button up shirt was almost painful.

The door opened before he knocked on it, and Charlotte gave him an apologetic look, "I'm just going to apologize now." She said quietly.

He furrowed his eyebrows, "Why?"

"My grandpa wasn't very happy when he heard that a guy was coming." She explained, he nodded slowly, "But luckily for you we have a couple of neighbors here, so I can maybe hide you from him." She added, smiling a bit, then gesturing for him to come inside. He stepped in to the smell of turkey, pie, and other delicious foods he was sure he'd have to restrain himself from hogging. He turned to her as she closed the door, and that was when he noticed she was dressed up in a purple dress that hung just below her knees, the top part was tight, and hugged her upper body, while the bottom poofed out a bit. She wore a black cardigan over it that was unbuttoned.

"You look..." Jacob trailed off, she raised an eyebrow at him, "Beautiful." He finished, and her cheeks reddened a bit.

"Thanks." She said, "You clean up pretty good too." She retorted, pulling at the bottom of his tie, and he rolled his eyes playfully. "Come on." She said, grabbing his hand, and pulling him towards where the christmas music, and voices were.

"Is this a christmas party?" He asked.

"Not at first, but my dad thought my grandpa would over react less if we had company, and this way he had distractions. Plus these neighbors have been asking if we are going to have another christmas party, and this was the only time my dad could be here that was a weekend." She explained, and they walked into the room where he saw seven adults sitting, and drinking champagne. He sighed in relief when he saw Bree, Paul's aunt who had always been nice.

"Jacob." Bree smiled, standing up, and walking over to him. She gave him a hug, "I don't think I've ever seen you or any of those other boys all dressed up." She noted, and he laughed, nodding.

"It's not really a common thing." He joked.

"Well if anyone can talk anyone into anything, it's Charlotte." She teased, Jacob just nodded, seeing a man walking up behind Bree. Charlotte's grip on his hand tightened a little, and he knew this was her dad since he was obviously to young to be her grandpa. "Excuse me." Bree said, noticing Charlotte's dad behind, and she walked over to a table with some fruit on it.

"Dad," Charlotte said, a bit of warning in her voice, "This is Jacob, Jacob this is my dad." She gestured between the two. Charlotte's dad seemed to be measuring him up, obviously becoming aware that Jacob was a bit older, and a lot huger then most guys.

"Nice to meet you Mr. Browning." Jacob said, sticking out his hand, and putting a polite smile on. Charlotte's dad nodded.

"Nice to meet you too Jacob, you can call me Ben." He responded, shaking Jacob's hand shortly, "Dinner should be ready in fifteen minutes." He said to both of them, before walking back to his seat next to Caren.

"That was... Quick?" Jacob said quietly to Charlotte, as she directed him towards where drinks and appetizers were.

"Well he's letting you call him by his first name, that's a good sign."

"I think he was terrified of me Char, and that's why he told me to call him by his first name." Jacob joked, making her laugh.

"So Charlotte!" A strict voice said behind them, and Jacob saw Charlotte cringe, they both turned, and Jacob was face to face with an older man that he was assuming was Charlotte's grandpa, "I see you have picked another winner." He said, Charlotte narrowed her eyes.

"Jacob this is my grandpa, grandpa this is Jacob." She introduced, ignoring the statement. Her grandpa held out his hand before Jacob could, and he quickly shook his hand.

"It's nice to meet you sir." Jacob said, not particularly liking the look this guy was giving him.

"I am sure it is." He nodded, Charlotte rubbed her hand against her head.

"I think I'll introduce you to everyone else." Charlotte said, grabbing Jacob's hand, and pushing past her grandfather. She introduced him to her neighbors Frank and Macy Warner who seemed like nice people, especially Macy who seemed to be checking Jacob out more then the usual sixty year old would do. Then Jacob was introduced to Bree's new boyfriend Carlos who seemed to mirror Jacob's pain of being in a suit. Caren announced that dinner was ready, and for everyone to go into the dining room. As they were seated, Jacob saw what looked like a chef in the kitchen, making plates. He nudged Charlotte, then nodded towards the kitchen. She rolled her eyes, then looked at Caren. He nodded, and bit his lip to refrain from saying something.

Dinner was served, and Jacob realized after awhile that if he kept his mouth shut, he may get through dinner in one piece.

Charlotte's grandpa had other plans though.

"So Jacob," He started, causing everyone to look at Jacob, "You don't look like you're from around here."

Jacob nodded, "I'm not, I live in La Push." He answered briefly.

"Oh, okay." Her grandpa said, "So do you go to college, or...?"

"No sir, I work for a friend of mine." Jacob answered.

"What field do you work in?"

"Grandpa." Charlotte warned.

"I'm just curious Charlotte, is that so awful?" He asked defensively, Charlotte sighed, and went back to eating her food slowly.

"I patrol on the reservation." Jacob offered.

"So you're in the police?" Her grandpa asked, raising his eyebrows.

"Kind of an unofficial police force I guess."

Her grandpa nodded skeptically, "Does that bring any money in?"

"No sir, but on the side I fix cars, which does bring the money in." Jacob replied.

Charlotte's grandpa laughed, before picking up his fork again, and eating some mashed potatoes, "That sounds very promising."

"Dad." Charlotte's dad Ben said, sounding annoyed by his father, "Stop harassing him."

"No, no Ben, if Jacob has an issue, I'm sure he is more then capable to voice it." Her grandpa replied cockily. Jacob clenched his fists, and took a deep breath to calm himself.

"Grandpa, stop it." Charlotte said, clearly realizing Jacob trying to control himself.

"I'm just asking questions Charlotte. I'm just seeing what his plans are since you'll be gone next year to Harvard La-"

"No I won't grandpa." Charlotte snapped, making her grandpa stop talking, "I'm not going, they called yesturday asking if I wanted an interview since you took it upon yourself to call the Dean, and I said no. Harvard is not going to happen."

"You said no? Charlotte, it's Harvard."

"And I don't want to go there."

He laughed, "And where do you want to go then?"

"There's a really good culinary school here in Port Angele-"

"Culinary? You think you can make a living off of cooking?" He laughed.

"I do think I can, considering a lot of people do grandpa." She retorted.

"No, you are my grand daughter, and you will not become a cook when you have the chance to go to Harvard." He said, "And that is final." He added, before returning to eating. Charlotte stared at him in shock.

"Dad, if she doesn't want to go to Harvard, she isn't going to Harvard." Charlotte's dad spoke up.

"Benjamin, now is not the time for you to pretend to be a parent." Her grandpa said to him.

"That's it." Ben said, standing up, "Please leave dad." He said.

"Let's not be dramatic Ben." Caren said, speaking up for the first time, as she tried to feed Brian some baby food.

Charlotte's grandpa ignored her, and just stared at his son, "Excuse me?"

"Leave. We have guests, and they don't need to see, or get involved with this." He said firmly. Her grandpa stared at Ben for a moment, before getting up and leaving without another word. Ben sighed, and sat down, "I'm sorry everyone." He apologized, then began to eat his food again.

Jacob was in a bit of awe. All that in like five minutes? Charlotte told off her grandpa, he returned the favor, then her dad just steps in and he's gone?

Who needs a TV when they could just come here?

"You two may be excused." Ben said, noticing that Charlotte and Jacob were done their food. Charlotte got up quickly, and Jacob followed her as she walked upstairs towards her room.

"I'm sorry." Charlotte said when they got into her room, "I didn't think he'd really ask questions. Usually he just ignores the guy, and doesn't make them feel like they're worth his time."

Jacob shrugged, "It's okay, really Char."

"No it's not." She groaned, kicking off the high heels she was wearing, then falling back on her bed, "He was being a jerk, and you didn't deserve that." She said quietly.

"No, but at least your dad likes me." He pointed out, trying to make her stop feeling bad. He loosened his tie since the dress code nazi was gone, and he sat down beside where she was laying.

"We don't know that yet. All we know is that he definitely doesn't hate you." She said, biting her cheek.

"Well I'd rather have him deal with me, then have him hate me." He shrugged, and laid down next to her on his side, and propping his head up by his arm, "But at least you told him." He added.

She laughed, "I snapped, I was planning on telling him quietly after dinner, you know? Pull him aside and all that, then be like 'Oh look, desert.', but that plan failed pretty quickly."

"Either way, it's done." He pointed out, and she nodded once again.

"Well, thank you Jacob." She said after a minute or two of silence, "And I hope you're not too scarred over tonight." She added, and he smiled.

"You're worth the scarring." He joked, and she laughed a bit. He was caught off guard when suddenly she kissed him. His brain frooze, and his breathing almost stopped as she gave him a sweet, and short kiss. When his brain started functioning again, he returned the kiss, placing his hand on the back of her head, against her soft hair.

She pulled away slowly, and smiled at him, than sat up.

"What was that for?" He asked, not really caring about the answer. She smiled, and shrugged.

"Just wanted to see what it would be like."
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments would be great : )

And in the next chapter some mature/touchy things will come up. There is a reason why this story is rated R (and no, no sexy times with Charlotte and Jacob yet, if that is what you are thinking) but the next chapter will be a bit mature. This is your only warning.