Gravity

I Know What Boys Like

Chalotte Browning couldn't get Jacob Black out of her head.

Even as she sat in Law, her favourite, and last class of the day, she found herself not paying attention to her brilliant teacher, and thinking about him. Which she thought was pathetic, seeing as she had only really hung out with him once.

But he had been sweet. Sweeter then the other few boys she'd gone on dates with. She had dealt with those bikers before, seeing as that's where they hang out, and one time her date did a fist pump, and even high fived one of the howling men. He hadn't judged her for the fact she was in a big time prep school, or for the fact her home life is less then perfect. A lot of guys shyed away from her family's situation, which had made many Port Angeles news papers over the years (her father's divorces, his affairs, and his impregnating a girl twenty years younger then him) but Jacob didn't, instead he made her laugh about it, and made her not fixtate on it.

She had been somewhat embarassed by how she reacted to the movie. She had heard about people screaming during it, and walking out, but she endured it, and held back a couple of screams. She spent most of the movie slouched in her seat, a hand infront of her eyes, and gripping onto Jacob's hand, but he hadn't mind, and would simply just run his thumb over her's as a way to sooth her.

"Char." Her friend, Jen said, snapping her fingers in front of Charlotte's face.

"What?" Charlotte asked, then looked ahead and saw the guy who sat in front of her, holding the handout's over his shoulder, for her to take and pass back. She grabbed them, and put one in front of Jen, and then passing the rest back.

"Are you okay? You've been out of it all day, and yesturday." Jen said quietly to her, as she opened her textbook to go to the pages where the answers for the work sheet would be.

"Yeah, I'm fine." Charlotte stated, copying her friends actions.

"Still thinking of that Jack guy?"

"Jacob." Charlotte corrected, knowing that when it come's to names, Jen sucks.

"Right, have you guy's talked since sunday?" Jen asked, and Charlotte blushed a bit. Jacob had called her Sunday night, knowing that she said that she was home from volunteering at the rink at six, and they ended up talking on the phone for a little over two hours, when they realized the time, and Jacob had to go to work.

"He texted me last night, but no, not really." Charlotte shrugged.

"Why'd he text you?"

"Just to say hi, and talk for a bit." Charlotte said.

"Aw." Jen said, making Charlotte laugh a bit. They spent the rest of class in silence, working, and finally the bell rang, marking the end of classes for that day. "Three more days." Jen groaned, making Charlotte laugh. Jen's boyfriend started his first year at Washington U, and came home every other weekend, so Jen would be seeing him on Saturday and Sunday.

The girls went to Jen's locker, then Charlotte's since Jen was driving her. They had worked out a system where they'd take turns driving each other so they'd save on gas money a bit, it was Jen's week to drive.

"Are you and Jacob going to hang out again?" Jen asked. Charlotte shrugged.

"Maybe."

"Do you not want to or something?" Jen asked confused, Charlotte laughed a bit.

"No, but I mean: he lives in La Push, and I live here, it's just kind of difficult." Charlotte explained, grabbing her bag that now had her homework in it, and she shut her locker.

"And Dave is up at Washington University, and I'm here. We make it work, and it's a lot more distance." Jen stated, as they made there way down the hallway, towards the side doors that led out to the student parking lot.

"Yeah, but you guys were together for a year when he left, it's just different." Charlotte explained.

Jen sighed, "Stop making excuses Char. He obviously likes you, I mean he waited for you for God knows how long outside of the restaraunt you work at, just to ask you out, and then he drives to Port Angeles to take you on a date. He obviously isn't half-assing it here. Besides, you want as many excuses as possible to ge out of your house, and hanging out with a guy who lives an hour away is the perfect excuse."

"Are you saying I should use Jacob?" Charlotte asked surprised.

"No, that would just be an advantage to dating him. I'm trying to give you pros and cons here!" Jen stated, as they opened up the doors, and walking outside. Charlotte laughed at her friend, and they walked to Jen's car. As they walked and talked, Charlotte looked up.

"Oh my God." She said quietly to her best friend.

"What?" Jen asked.

Charlotte blinked hard, and re opened her eyes, half expecting herself to of gone completely insane, and imagining him there, but there he was, leaning against some kind of motorcycle in the parking lot, "That's Jacob." She said, Jen followed her friends eyes.

"That's Jacob?" Jen practically yelled, "Okay, if you don't want to take an hour out of your day to date that, then you have problems." Jen said, making Charlotte nudge her friend hard with her elbow. "Is he a model?" Jen asked, and Charlotte almost laughed, since Jacob seemed like one of those guys who'd rather jump off a bridge then be a model.

"No, Jen. What is he doing here?" She wondered, as they reached Jen's car.

"Obviously waiting for you. Last time I checked the kids around here don't really hang out with La Push kids." Jen said, and Charlotte watched as a sly smirk crept on Jen's lips, "I'm so sorry Charlotte, I completely forgot; I can't drive you."

Charlotte stared at her friend, "What?"

"I have a hair cut appointment, and don't have time to drop you off." Jen said, shrugging.

"You had a hair cut last week." Charlotte said, narrowing her eyes at her friend.

"Well, you know me, Ms High Maintenance." Jen said, opening her car door, and getting in, winking at her friend. Charlotte watched helplessly as her friend drove away, abandoning her.

Charlotte looked back up to where Jacob was, he had an amused smile, and she hoped that Jen wasn't talking as loud as she seemed to be. Charlotte walked slowly over to Jacob, who's smile grew as she finally stood in front of him.

"Nice uniform." He teased, and she laughed. Wearing kilts, black tights, and white dress shirts with her schools crest below her left shoulder, was something she had grown accustomed to in the last three and a half years of high school.

"Nice bike." She retorted, he smiled proudly at his motorcycle, and she remembered him mentioning he was really into cars, "Did you build it, or...?" She trailed off, not wanting to sound stupid.

"Yeah, took a few months, but it's done." He said, and she nodded, "I take it you need a ride?" He asked, she laughed.

"Yeah my friend kind of had something to do apparently." She said, "But I don't think a kilt will work out on that." She added, realizing that would be a disaster.

"Well luckily, I came prepared." He said, making her raise her eyebrows at him. He lifted the seat, and she saw that was almost like a small storage space, he held out his hand, requesting her bag. Luckily only her English homework was in there, so he was able to fit it in. He held out the sweat pants he had grabbed from the seat.

"Do you always carry around pants with you?" She asked, making him laugh, and he shrugged.

"Sometimes. But, I was planning on seeing if you wanted to hang out for a bit, and knew this place had uniforms, so I figured I'd bring pants just in case." He stated.

"Good assumption." She laughed, and slid her feet out of her tennis shoes, and stepped into the huge sweat pants, and just put them under her kilt, "But I will warn you I have skating at seven, so I can only hang out until then." She explained, "Unless if you have to leave sooner." She added.

"Seven sounds good." He nodded. He got onto the bike, and then helped her get behind him. He started up the bike, making a big roaring sound. Charlotte felt nerves creep into her stomache, seeing as she wasn't wearing a helmet, and she'd never been on a motorcycle before. "Where do you want to go?" He asked.

"We can go to my house, my dad's at work, and the psycho girlfriend is visiting her mom for the week." She suggested, and he laughed at the last part, and nodded, and then turned the motorcycle off, and driving slowly out of the school parking lot because of all the students walking, cars, and buses.

But, as soon as they were out of the traffic from the school, Jacob sped up. Charlotte held on tightly to his side as he sped down the street, obviously going above the speed limit. She bit her lip whenever he turned a corner, without slowing down, and he made it to her house quicker then she'd ever gotten there from school. He turned off the bike, and she got off.

"You, should not be allowed to drive that thing." She said to him, he laughed, opening the seat, and grabbing her school bag. "I'm serious, how have you not killed anyone, or yourself yet?" She asked, as they started walking towards the front door.

"Don't worry Charlotte, I have good reflexes, I wouldn't get in an accident." He said, as she took her bag from him, and dug out her house keys. She unlocked the door, and let him in, relieved to not come home to the baby screaming, or Caren gabbing on the phone.

"Welcome to my not so humble abode." She said, kicking off her tennis shoes, he laughed, and slipped out of his shoes as well.

"Does your dad enjoy spending his money?" Jacob asked, as she walked him from room to room, giving him a tour of the huge house.

"No, Caren, his girlfriend, does. We lived in a nicer place near the water, that was a decent size for two people. It would've been good for three, and the baby since it was two floors and three bedroom's, but Caren was a little demanding." Charlotte asked, as they went into the kitchen. Jacob knew Emily would love this kitchen, the space, stove, island, and all the spices, and ingredients on the one wall, and all the glass cupboards showing nice china. "I need to make supper since I have skating and all that. Hungry?" She asked, he nodded.

He watched over the next twenty minutes as she went around the kitchen, cooking stir fry, mashed potatoes, and corn. She knew how to cook, thank God for that one.

"No gourmet chef?" He asked, as she set a plate and silverware in front of him, she laughed.

"No, I put my foot down when she one time said it'd be nice to get a cook. I told her that we weren't royalty, and that we were capable to make our own food." She explained, and started scooping food on his plate.

"And how did princess take that?" Jacob laughed.

"She flipped, but I said that if she felt that I was inadequate to just let me know. She shut up pretty quickly." Charlotte smiled, and Jacob grabbed his fork, and started to eat the food on his plate.

After taking a bite, he could have moaned, "I can see why." He said, scooping up more food, and eating it. She nodded, laughing a bit, and started eating her own.

"So you have a brother?" He asked, looking at the two picture frames on the counter next to the phone. One being Charlotte's school picture, another being a baby in blue.

"Yeah, his name's Brian." She stated.

"Do you like him?" He asked.

"Well he's only one," She started, "But when he's not screaming at two am, he's a pretty cool kid." She shrugged, making him laugh.

"He's an all night baby?" Jacob asked.

"Yeah, when he, Caren, and my dad went to visit her family for two weeks in the summer, I moved my room downstairs to the basement in the spare room. My dad knew about it, but she kind of flipped out when she came home." Charlotte explained.

"Why?" Jacob asked confused.

"Because it was 'disrespectful' to move my belongings in another room without asking her first." Charlotte stated, Jacob raised his eyebrows.

"Does she pay for the house too?" He asked.

"No, she doesn't have a job." Charlotte said, and he nodded.

"Well, I don't even know the chick, and I can't figure out how you're still living with her." He said, making Charlotte laugh.

"I mainly ignore her, and stay out of her way." Charlotte shrugged.

"That seems unfair." Jacob said quietly. He knew she heard him, but she didn't say anything. He had a feeling a lot of things in her life were unfair.

They finished eating, and after she changed out of her uniform quickly, they decided to play Mario Kart on the XBox in the game room in her house. Jacob found himself unable to play though, after listening to her trash talk, and being unable to stop laughing.

"I really can't figure out how I'm attracted to a girl who called me butt munch." He said, throwing his remote on the floor next to him, and shaking his head.

"Okay dude, you called me a marshmellow, butt munch was just pay back." She retorted, turning off the game system. She looked at the clock, and groaned. "I have to get ready for skating." She said, standing up, and shutting off the TV, he nodded, sighing a bit, and getting up, "You could come." She said, he looked at her surprised, "I mean, if you want, I know watching figure skating isn't really the mos-"

He cut her off, "No, I'll go. I can go." He said, knowing he didn't have to patrol until midnight.

"You sure? You don't have to just because I asked." She said, eyeing him.

"Trust me, I'm sure."
♠ ♠ ♠
Another update, since my plans fell through on account of my friend is sick.

Comments would be greatt !