Status: Active

You've Got to Hide Your Love Away

Now She's Hit the Big Time in the USA

Billie Joe lay in his bunk as the bus drove to its first destination, Seattle, Washington. He absently tossed his cell phone in the air as Mike and Tre discussed the days earlier events on the couch across from him.

“Nah dude, blondie was hotter, she had huge tits.” Tre said, getting caught up in the argument based on the two girls in the support band.

“Yeah, but red had attitude” Mike contributed to the discussion.

“Yeah, I got the hot '70's rock star groupie feel from red too.”

“Did you actually catch their names? I don't think they're gonna be too cool about you calling them out by their hair color.” Jason said as he walked to the couch while talking around with a mouth full of pizza.

“Yeah, blondie was Danielle, I think. And red might have been, Eva?” Tre answered, trying the name on his lips to see if he'd found the right one.

“Ava.” Billie corrected from where he lay starring at the ceiling, his first input to the conversation.

“Yeah, that's it, Ava.” Tre corrected himself nonchalantly grabbing the half eaten pizza from Jason's hands and taking a large bite for himself as he continued to talk, mouth now full, “Actually, she was pretty hot, dude, can you imagine-”

“Tre!” Billie snapped cutting him off. “Enough already, Jesus Christ. Don't you have anything better to talk about than your twisted dreams?”

“Actually, no. Since when is there anything better to talk about than two hot chicks practically living with us for the next few months? It's like my dream come true from when I was twelve years old.” He responded innocently as Billie rolled his eyes.

“Tre, just knock it off, seriously man.”

“God, what the fuck crawled up your ass and died?”

“Nothing, I just don't need you detailing your sexual fantasies for me, that's all.”

“You never had a problem with it before. And they won't be fantasies for long, man. Not once they sample the cheech and ride the Bullwinkle. Then they'll be begging for more of Mr. Cool. Don't be so upset just because you don't get anything now days.” Mike and Jason laughed at Billie's expense. He rolled his eyes.

“I'm doing fine, Tre. Don't worry about me.”

“No, I get it, man. Things are slowing down for you two since you've become that 'married couple.'” Tre said using airquotes. “Hell, taking on kids and mortgages, you've become quite a responsible member of society.” His voice dripped with sarcasm.

“You don't need to worry about my sex life Tre, really.” Billie responded harshly. He realized that his tone didn't help his case. They were definitely going to think that this was about he and Adie, and it wasn't. Billie didn't know why, but he didn't like the way Tre was talking about Ava, it made him seethe actually. Maybe it was a little bit of jealousy, and maybe a bit overprotective? But he shouldn't feel that way, he just met her. He also couldn't figure out why the green eyed girl had stayed in his mind's eye constantly for the last five hours.

“Whatever, Bill. If you do need anything, just let me know. There's plenty of Tre Cool to go around. I don't discriminate.” Laughter and whistles echoed the bus as Billie reached out and yanked the curtain over to cover his bunk. The fabric would shield him from Tre, but it wouldn't make Ava leave his head.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blackbird's bus traveled behind Green Day's on the dark, empty highway. It's four occupants ran up and down the aisle, singing and dancing to the music that flooded the bus. Their current selection was Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody, a song each band member knew by heart and had each taken to singing one of the numerous parts. Ava looked around their bus and smiled at her friends. Danielle with her new shockingly blonde hair dancing on the sofa, Andy jamming along to the sound with his fender in hand, and Dylan head banging to the faster parts of the song. They had started to settle in; clothes were strewn everywhere, bags of chips and empty beer cans lay scattered on the floor.

Looking up and observing the scene as Dylan tried on a lamp shade as a new hat while badgering Danielle with the never ending question 'Do you like my hat?' and she replied with the classic 'No, I do not like your hat,' answer as the two carried out the classic Dr. Seuss moment, Ava came to the conclusion that her band members were rather intoxicated. She grinned broadly, this was going to be it. A tour that really put them out there. Her band didn't get a lot of attention; they refused to play videos on MTV or appear there at all. She didn't want to become a part of the over commercialized music scene where big name producers raped little bands for big bucks. She wanted to stay real, and apparently they'd managed it so far. Green Day's manager had gotten a hold of them, so that must be worth something. Green Day had just released a punk rock opera that soared them to super stardom after a few years of shitty records that barely left a mark on the charts and took on the president of the United States. All of the dates on the tour were sold out already, and the first show wasn't until tomorrow. Opening for a band like Green Day was an opportunity of a lifetime, and Ava was not going to let it get away. Granted that Green Day was not a band that she listened to on a regular basis, or ever, for that matter, she would suck up her pride and punk roots for this opportunity to increase her fan base. It was sneaky and a bit unethical, yes, but she was desperate. Living in New York was not cheap and her student loans from Juliard were an ax over her head waiting for the signal to drop. No band could survive on the money made from gigs in bars and tiny clubs and what little profit an album at an Independent record label generated.

Ava's thoughts were abruptly broken as she felt the other side of the coach sink in. She looked over and smiled as her eyes met Andy's. He smiled warmly, and she sighed happily as she leaned her head on his shoulder, thankful for one sober band mate at the moment.

“You gonna be okay on tour?” Andy asked sincerely, his eyes searching hers for the truth.

“What do you mean will I be okay? I'll be great. This is the biggest tour we've ever had.” She forced a smile.

“You know that's not what I meant.” His eyes probed hers for an honest answer to his question.

She sighed again, looking away. “I know.” She wrung her hands nervously. His silence clearly prompted an answer. “I'll be fine.” She said, and it was almost sincere.

“Ava,” He began softly, his tone beckoning her to look at him. She did and saw the true concern written across his features. “Ava, I just want you to be happy. I know you're hurting a lot more than you let on, kid.” He said.

She groaned, burying her face is his neck. He smelled like boy; a mix of sweat, cigarettes, and lack of scented body products. His hand caressed her matted hair, his fingers drumming out a pattern. She grinned momentarily at that; he was one hundred percent drummer one hundred percent of the time.

“I know David fucked you over, and it sucks. We've all been there.” She should have known he would cut right to the point, but his bluntness caught her off guard. “I just want you to know that I'm here if you want to talk, okay?” She nodded wordlessly into his neck as a 'thank you' and he kissed her head. All she had to do was focus on the band and she would make it, at least, that's what she told herself.