The Times They Are A-Changin'

A New Friend

Sam answered the door politely and showed me the way in. I smiled and walked into the house. "You are a life saver! Where is he so I can take him off your hands for you?" I asked rubbing my tired eyes. "He's in the living room playing," Sam informed me leading the way into the living room. Alex sat on the floor next to the sofa playing with toy cars and talking quietly to himslef, making any necessary sound effects. I walked over and leaned down beside him. "Sorry buddy. Were you okay last night? Were you good for Sam and John?" I asked as I kissed his head and ruffled his hair. He nodded "yeah they were really nice to me, and they gave me snacks. Where did you go last night? Why did you leave me?" he sobbed. I glanced over at Sam who turned his head, pretending not to listen. I looked back at Alex who kept eye contact with me until I answered. "I was just catching up with an old friend, that's all! But I'm here now so grab your coat and let's go back to Ellen's house and see Matt?" I suggested holding my hand out for him to grab hold of it. He shook his head. "I want to stay here!" he demanded. I rolled my eyes and sighed. 'This is not my day!' I thought.

Then I heard Sam's kind voice once again saying "if you want you could stay for some coffee and then after that i'm sure Alex will be ready to go home, huh Alex?" he asked. Alex nodded and continued playing. "Okay buddy but after this we're leaving," I demanded.

Sam and I walked into the kitchen and I sat down on one of the chairs as Sam began to make the coffee. I buried my hands in my face and took a deep breath. "Not your day, huh?" Sam chuckled. I shook my head and crossed my arms. "Not really," I replied quietly. He laughed a little before placing two cups of coffee on the table. "Thanks. How badly drunk was I last night?" I investigated expecting the answer to be a bad one. "You were eh, no you were pretty wasted" he grined.

I looked down in disgrace with myself. "I'm suppose to be a role model and I'm off sleeping around with some guy I barely know, and I left him there. I left my little brother alone at a party" I sobbed, tears began to emerge from the corners of my eyes. "It's alright he was okay. It was a little mistake and you were drunk, it's not like you did it intentionally!" Sam reacted sympathetically. I dried the tears away from my eyes.

"I know but I should have known better, I should have been stronger!" I responded. "How old are you?" he enquired. Acknowledging the irrelevance of his question I answered with great confusion "twenty-one!" Sam smiled a little. "See you're only young and you have a huge responsibility of looking after your little brother. It must take a lot out of you. Just remember that while you're here there are lots of people here willing to help you, okay?" he replied comforting me. I nodded in reply.

FLASHBACK

I walked into my dad's office and he sat at his desk looking out the window. The notice on his desk read 'General Thomas Taggart'. I smiled and he turned to face me. He immediately stood up and walked over to greet me. I Pulled him into a hug and cried into his chest "daddy I missed you!". He patted my head. "I missed you too sweetheart!" he responded. I sat down in the chair infront of his desk. "How's Alex?" he asked me his grin gradually getting wider. "He's good, he misses you, we all do!" I nervously smiled. He nodded. "I miss you all too, really I do, but you know we have been here before, this is my job and I have worked hard for it and I can't just give it all up now just so that I can be a baby sitter for your mother and her new boyfriend!" he reacted quickly. I sighed loundly. "She needed someone to love her and Karl was there for her when you wern't!" I added.

He looked at me and laughed loudly "I'm sure he was!" he replied with great frustration. "Don't blame this on him, he has been more like a father to me then you ever have! You were always bossing me and Alex around ever since we were young, treating us like your cadets! If you want to go off and kill yourself then fine! But this is the last time you'll see me!" I braked standing up and walking off.

"Avril, come back! Avril!" he yelled as I slammed the door.

FLASHBACK OVER

I thanked Sam for the coffee and me and Alex left. When we arrived home I saw Addii hiding in the kitchen. I crept up behind her and tipped her shoulder. "Boo!" I screamed loudly. She jumped a little and pushed me back "don't do that you scared me!" she laughed. I nudged her and giggled "So, what did you get up to last night?"
♠ ♠ ♠
Wooooo comment I neva get comments :[

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx