Status: Fini!

Too Blind to See It!

Chapter 21 - Happy Birthday Baby

Image
 
I woke up after a late night of Communications Law hell, still trying to remember, broadcasting laws inspired by dead comedians and old porn stars, and realized Zach wasn’t there. We’d taken to spending the night in each other’s beds, not because we were having sex, because we still weren’t, at least in the technical sense, but the new found intimacy between us seemed to give us a thirst for physical closeness that was new in our relationship. Waking up in Zach’s arms, sometimes clothed, sometimes not, was the most amazing feeling, but it was always a let down on mornings when I’d wake up without him. This particular morning he was on a road trip and not scheduled to be back for another day.
 
“’Bout time Sleeping Beauty.”  I heard from across the room, and I nearly jumped out of my skin.  
 
“Phoebe!” I scolded.
 
She laughed at my expense. “Now I get why Zach changed your name on me. It’s 11:00. I thought you’d never get up.”
 
“I was up late studying. What are you doing here? Aren’t you supposed to be with Travis?”
 
“I was with Travis, but I snuck out this morning to see you.”
 
“That’s nice.” I said rubbing sleep from my eyes and wondering what the hell she was up to.
 
“It’s your birthday Jenna Girl. Did you forget?”
 
A smile grew on my face, as I realized she was right. It was my birthday. It’s not that I didn’t know. I’d simply forgotten, buried under a mountain of case studies and trial outcomes. I’ve always loved birthdays. As a child my parents made the day special with homemade cakes, party hats, streamers, party dresses and gifts. As I got older Phoebe used her parent’s bank account to give my passport a workout, taking me to exotic places, I’d only dreamed of like Paris and Tahiti. This year school was getting the best of me so I turned down her offer for a full expenses paid trip to Japan in order to work my ass off so I’d graduate sometime this millennium. If I had to be honest about it, my classes weren’t any harder, but having a boyfriend seriously cut down on the time I used for writing papers and studying.
 
Phoebe crawled into bed with me, shoving my books to the floor. “Happy Birthday Jenna,” she cooed as she spooned me just like old times.  “I have a surprise for you from Prince Charming.”
 
“Really?” I asked, sitting up. I tried to hide my almost childlike excitement. I knew he felt bad that he couldn’t be with me on my birthday, but I expected that we’d just celebrate when I got home.
 
“He’s planned a whole day for us Jenna. You’ll cream your little panties when you find out where.”
 
“Phoebe! You’re are so crude.”
 
“Oh come on even Princesses get wet down there Jenna. It’s nothing to be ashamed of.” Before I could protest or scold her she stuck her hand in my face to shut me up. “We’re spending the day at Fekkai Salon complements of one Zach Parise!”
 
My eyes grew wide in surprise. “Shut UP!”
 
“And you are getting your haircut and styled by Fredric Fekkai himself.”
 
“No way!” I squealed in excitement. Fredric Fekkai was one of the most sought after stylists in New York City, in the country. He had a waiting list that stretched over a year and a haircut alone cost close to $1000.
 
“Yes way! You have no idea how hard it was to keep this a secret.”
 
“Oh Pheebs, this must have cost him a fortune. I can’t accept a gift like that from Zach. I don’t need him spending that kind of money on me. I’m not one of those girls.”
 
“Look Sleeping Beauty. He knows you’re not one of those girls. Besides, It was his idea. Well I picked the salon, but he told me what he wanted to do for you, and he said he wanted you to have best. He didn’t even flinch at the money. The cash is already spent. You don’t want to waste Zach’s hard earned money do you?” When I didn’t answer right away she added, “You know he had his front teeth knocked out earning that money,” and we both broke into a fit of giggles.
 
I couldn’t hide my excitement anymore. I grabbed her into a big hug. “I’m so freaking excited Pheebs!”
 
The salon was amazing. I felt like a little girl playing dress up as they treated Phoebe and I like royalty, primping and fussing over us like we were movie stars. We had manicures and the most luxurious pedicures as we sipped glass after glass of wine. We had facials and hair treatments before Fredric took over and examined my bone structure and coloring. He turned me over to the color artist who added lighter highlights to my already honey blond head. I would never have been so brave if it wasn’t for Phoebe and Fredric, who’d become bosom buddies, encouraging me to live a little. Fredric seemed disappointed when I refused to let him cut my hair into a short asymmetrical bob, but instead cut in long choppy layers that framed my face and made my hair look full and healthy like a model from a shampoo commercial. I couldn’t help but wish Zach could see me like that, looking glamorous and sophisticated instead of scholarly and frumpy. “Smile pretty for the camera,” Phoebe said, apparently reading my mind because as she took out her iPhone, snapped a picture and texted it off to Zach.
 
We were lead to a private waiting room obviously meant for relaxation, where we were told our consultant would meet us momentarily. “This was such an amazing day,” I said pouting just a bit because it was coming to an end.
 
“It’s not over yet Jenna girl. I got you a surprise.” She wore an ominous grin that made me nervous. “Let’s start with this.” She pulled from her large bag a shiny purple box tied with a silver ribbon. The box carried the logo and name of Phoebe’s store.
 
The items Phoebe sold in her store were not me and even the things I would consider were so expensive I could never afford them. “What is this?” I asked.
 
“It’s part of my gift to you. I really hope you like it.”
 
“I swear to god if this is fuzzy handcuffs or a whip, I’m going to kill you.” She just smirked in reply. I carefully untied the ribbon and lifted the lid from the box apprehensively. “What did you do Pheebs?” I asked in awe. I lifted from the box a breathtaking emerald green push up bra adorned with green stones. It was simple by comparison to most of the things Phoebe sold in her store. It was classy and elegant and must have cost a fortune. Also in the box was a matching green thong, made from the same lush material but sans the stones. “This is…This is beautiful.”
 
“I thought you’d like it.”
 
“I do. I really do, but I can’t accept this. It must have cost a fortune.”
 
“Jenna, I offered to take you to Japan. This is nothing, besides, you should really consider it a gift for Zach. Something tells me he’s going to really like you in that.”  She said it with a smirk like there was more to it then I understood, but then she added… “It’s French silk. Trust me he’ll love it.”
 
There was no doubt that he’d love it and I was so amazed that Phoebe chose something so completely me. She wasn’t forcing her idea of a good time in sexy lingerie on me, she actually considered my tastes, my personality. It really meant a lot. “Thank you Phoebe,” I said embracing her.
 
“Time for your waxing,” the consultant said from the doorway interrupting our sweet little moment.
 
“Oh we aren’t having waxing done today,” I replied knowing that wasn’t on our list of services.
 
“Actually…” Phoebe was wearing that smirk again. “This is the other part of your present.” Clearly, I was not getting what she was saying, so she held up the tiny green thong. “Let’s just say it’s a little something to go with this.”
 
“We have you scheduled for a Brazilian wax. Isn’t that what you wanted for her Ms. James?” The consultant asked.
 
“No!”
 
“Yes!” we both answered at the same time.
 
“Jenna, don’t be a party pooper. Think of it as a thank you to Zach.”
 
“It’s actually a very common service here in our salon. It’s nothing to be embarrassed of,” the consultant added in support of Phoebe.
 
“Phoebe,” I pleaded, and the consultant excused herself.
 
“Jenna, don’t prude up on me know. You’re making so much progress.”
 
“A Brazilian? Really Pheebs, I just don’t think I can.” I clung to her arm like my life depended on it.
 
“Look, I love you, and because of that I’m gonna tell it like it is. Zach is a professional hockey player and he’s not a virgin. He’s seen a lot of pussy…”
 
“PHOEBE! Can you please not use that word?” I wasn’t sure if it was the word that bothered me as much as the idea that he’d seen that part of other women.
 
“What? Hockey?” I gave her a sorted glare. “Fine, Since you two aren’t fucking…” She scrunched her face knowing she’d done it again. “Sorry, doing the deed yet, don’t you want to keep him interested? Don’t you want to surprise him?”
 
 “Well that would sure do it.”
 
“It’s up to you, but a playground where the grass is mowed gets a lot more play then one full of weeds.”
 
“You’re disgusting!”
 
“Maybe so, but you can’t tell me you don’t love Zach playing on your playground so go call her back here and tell her you’re ready for some gardening.”
 
I couldn’t believe what I was about to do this, and just as I was about to find the consultant Phoebe added, “I can bring my phone in and take more pics for Zach if you want.”
 
“Don’t you dare,” I scowled as I left the room.
 
****
 
Phoebe and I settled in eating birthday cake and watching our boys play the Buffalo Sabres. Ryan Miller was good, but not good enough to beat Zach’s quick hands as he buried his second puck of the night. I loved watching the smile he made just after he scored a goal, his dimples on display for the whole world to see. It conjured up images of our private moments when he’d look down on me and smile and I’d feel the need to pinch myself to see if it was all real.  I wondered how he’d adjust to playing with an entirely new team in a few weeks in Vancouver when he represented the United States at the Olympics, a team that would include Ryan Miller. The Devils won the game and Zach finished with a three point night, two goals and an assist.
 
Phoebe cleared out before the interviews, kissing me on the cheek and reminding me to show Zach what she got me for my birthday. I glared up at her still a little sore from the wax treatment. She’d made sure to tell me that it hurts less every time you get it done, which I chose to ignore. I curled into the couch with my Communications Law book waiting for the interviews to start, hoping for another glimpse of my boyfriend and those magnificent dimples. I was disappointed when Zach wasn’t interviewed, but knew that meant he’d be calling soon. He called every night after a game, except on those rare occasions when he was busy beating himself up over a particularly bad performance. He was famous for blaming himself for tough losses, trying to figure out what he could have done better, and on those nights he didn’t call so he could save me from having to put up with his bad attitude. Tonight wasn’t a bad game though and it was my birthday, so I was sure I’d get a call. Two hours had passed and I was missing him more today than usual, so I did something I had never done before, I grabbed my book and my cell phone and headed to Zach's apartment.

I wasted no time, going straight for the bedroom, pulled back the steel gray duvet and plush white sheets and crawled in snuggling into the mountain of pillows with my book propped up on my lap. It just felt better; I felt closer to him, almost like he was there with me. I could still smell him in the room, a slight hint of his soap and cologne, and even though I didn't have him there with me, I felt surrounded by him.

I put the book beside me still certain he'd call, it was my birthday. I waited…and waited… and fell asleep waiting wrapped up in everything that reminded me most of Zach.

****Zach's POV

I let myself into her apartment, hoping she wouldn't be mad that I didn't call. I just simply didn't have time. I only had half an hour to get to the airport after the game, and I knew if I talked to her I'd give up the surprise. I had an exceptional game that night, and I felt a sense of pride well up in me feeling certain that Jenna had been watching. I'd be lying if I tried to deny that I was at least partially motivated by the need to finish the game in regulation, a twenty minute OT and potential shoot out would have destroyed my plans for Jenna's birthday.

I walked in quietly, hoping to use the element of surprise on my girlfriend who was bound to stretched out on her bed in her NY Jets pajamas writing a paper on journalistic ethics and how they've vanished over the last decade. I crept toward the bedroom surprised at the quiet, but figuring she had her iPod blaring in her ears, but as I came around the corner, the room was dark. I instantly assumed that she was just tired and probably fell asleep, but further examination showed not only was she not asleep, the bed hadn't been slept in. "Fuck," I mumbled to myself wishing I'd told her of my plan. Phoebe promised to help me with the plan, and I was more than a little irritated that she would have taken her out when she knew I was coming home to surprise her.

I pouted as I locked up her apartment and made my way down the hall. Disappointment engulfed me thinking about spending the night alone after all my effort to see Jenna on her birthday. I dropped my bag at the front door and locked up figuring I would need a long shower to wash away some of the anticipation I'd built up for myself about the evening. I entered my bedroom and flipped on the light and nearly let out a girlish scream as I noticed the slight movement on my bed.

Once I got a handle on what I was seeing, the slight movement that scared the living shit out of me moments ago made my heart do a different kind of flip flop. She was so beautiful lying there in her NY Jets pajamas, which I totally knew she'd be wearing by the way. I noticed the slight change in the shape of her hair, how it framed her angelic face and the color was lighter in some places. She was breathtaking, but she was gorgeous before her trip to the salon. I felt the most overwhelming urge to be next to her, to touch her.

I stripped down to my boxers and slid in beside her. "Mmmm ," she cooed in her sleep as I pulled her into my arms. As cute as she was in those flannel PJ's I wish she chose tonight for the Jets' boxers and tank top, or better yet, that old Devils shirt with nothing under it. I pulled her in close, her ass nuzzled against my groin out of habit I think, and I let out a soft groan. This was one of those times that I wish I didn't want her so badly. That I wish I could shut off the testosterone and just hold her without wanting to peel back her thick sleepwear and ravage her body from her long legs to the sensitive spot behind her ear.

I softly reached my hand under her flannel top letting it rest on the warm flesh of her stomach and she pressed back against me harder making my cock extremely happy, and another groan was inadvertently released from somewhere deep in my throat.

"Zach?" Jenna whispered in an obvious state of drowsiness.

"Happy Birthday baby," I whispered against here ear.

She took me by surprise as she flung around in my arms and kissed me hard on the mouth without warning. Score another one for my happy crotch. "What are you doing home?"

"It's your birthday. I wanted to be with you." I looked over her shoulder at the green light of the alarm clock. "Looks like I missed it by a good hour."

"I'm just so glad you're here now!" Her lips pressed against mine softly at first, but grew more greedy.

I wanted nothing more than to give in to her kisses, to strip her from her flannel pajamas and kiss down her body, but I had a little business to attend to first. "Stay here. Don't move." I called to her as I went flying into the living room.

"What are you doing Zach?" I heard her yell from the bedroom as I scooped up the two packages I'd brought in with me.

I turned on the small light and plopped them both down on the bed in front of her. "Happy Birthday," I announced.

"Zach, You've already spoiled me." She whined, but I could see how excited she was to tear into the presents.

I leaned over and kissed her again, then said, "There is nothing I want more than to properly spoil you," and I wondered if she knew I meant more than just by buying her presents. "Go ahead, open them." I instructed.

She bit her lip playing coy but grabbed for the small square box. The ribbon fell from the package and she creaked open the box. "They're beautiful Zach!" She gushed as she wasted no time pulling the two carat diamond studs from the box and putting them right into her ears, then leaned over for another searing kiss. I literally had to pull her off of me to make her focus on opening the remaining box. I would have let her continue, fuck I wanted her to continue, but the last present was the one I was most interested in seeing her open. She pouted but didn't hesitate ripping the top off the larger box.

And that's when it came, the reaction I'd hoped for. She rose from the bed holding the green and white material to her chest squealing, "Oh My God Zachary!!!! I can not believe you did this!!!!" She turned the Mark Sanchez jersey around so the number six was visible with his autograph emblazoned the white number. "I LOVE IT ZACH!" She hugged it close to her. "Wait here!" She commanded and headed into the bathroom. I hoped this meant she was going to strip out of those heavy pajamas, replacing them with the much smaller jersey. I mentally begged her to show me those legs that kept me awake at night salivating.

While I waited for her, I recalled her response to the presents. She liked the diamond earrings, but I wasn't surprised that she was totally fired up over the Sanchez jersey. That's my Jenna, and with that thought the door to the bathroom swung open and there she stood in only the green jersey that skimmed the top of her thighs. I only spent a split second being jealous that it had another man's name on the back.

I thought I'd died and went to heaven watching her sauntering toward me. When she was almost at the bed she stopped. "I want to show you what Phoebe got me for my birthday." She lifted the green material. My eyes went wide and my mouth went dry.

Now I was sure I'd died and went to heaven!
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm posting this really really late (at least for me) so please forgive, spelling grammar, all that. I hope you like it. It's just a little bit of fluff for Jenna on her B-day.

Comments are welcome and greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading!!!!

Staal update tomorrow.