Neon Hearts

Happy Birthday Sorry All I Got You Was Grounded

I ran through his room as quickly as possible looking for my clothes as I shed his from my body, the alarm didn’t go off and we over slept any minute now his mom would be coming into the room. He was up and moving around slowly trying to help me find my lost shirt. I had been sneaking in his window for years and never been caught I didn’t want to start then.

“She’s going to be here any minute, where did you put my shirt last night?” I asked panic filled my voice my every word.

“Kimber don’t worry ok? Just take this shirt and I will give you yours later when I find it but you have to go now.” He said as a shirt came flying towards me. “Hurry before she comes in.”

“Sam I’m sorry I bring you into this.” I said as I pulled the shirt over my head and started to walk over to the window.

“It’s not a big deal, you know I’d do anything for you, letting you crash here is no biggie unless my mom finds out like she will unless you get out of here now.”

“Kimberlee what are you doing in here?” I heard a voice say from behind me as I opened the window. “Sam what is going on? Don’t you even think about going out that window young lady.”

“Out the window? No ma’am I was just coming in, to wish Sam a happy birthday. Same as you are with that breakfast in bed.” I turned around to face her for the first time to try and figure out if she believed me and how much trouble I was in because that lie was unbelievable. “Happy birthday Sam, I better get going.” I started to walk towards his bedroom door but his mom stopped me in my tracks. “So how much trouble am I in?”

“You haven’t answered a question yet. What are you doing in here?” She gripped my shoulders and steered me back towards the foot of Sam’s bed. “Why are you wearing one of Sam’s favorite shirts?”

“She slept over last night mom.” Sam said sitting up, “I asked her to come over and watch a movie and we fell asleep while it was on. She ripped her shirt coming in the window last night that is why she is in mine. It’s not a big deal mom I promise you.”

“Are you guys together?”

“Mom she’s fourteen and one of my best friends honestly do you really think I’d date her?”

“Thanks Sam tell me how you really feel.” I said with a slight laugh.

“You wouldn’t date me either don’t act hurt.”

“Kimberlee go home I need to talk to Sam alone, and I will be calling your mom.” I got up and walked towards the door again this time nobody stopped me I could hear the faint sounds of his mom’s angry voice all the way to the door. The last thing I heard before I left the house were the words “You’re grounded.” I got him grounded on his birthday.

Silently I crept into my room and put my clothes on before opening the window that looked over to Sam’s room, the blinds weren’t closed so I was able to see him sitting on his bed alone. He looked miserable and it was my fault. He looked over at me and smiled then opened his window.

“Did you hear?” He asked, I nodded, “2 weeks maybe a month. She’s calling your mom now. So I’d watch out if I were you. She thinks something is going on between us she is going to tell your mom her theories.”

“It’s ok. They are just theories mom won’t believe it. She hasn’t been paying attention anyways except to tell me to make myself scarce when her boyfriend comes over. Thanks for last night sorry you got in trouble. I’ll make it up to you promise.” I smiled then looked behind me quickly as I heard the door slam.

“Making more plans to get pregnant?” My mom yelled, “Is this your idea of staying out of my hair when my boyfriend is over?”

“It’s not like that mom. Sam and I are just friends.”

“Close your window and get over here.” I looked over at Sam who was still sitting on his window sill head down. “What are you waiting for?’ I closed the window and pulled the blinds down so he wouldn’t be able to see. “You have embarrassed me for the last time.” I cowered down as I saw her fist heading towards me. The idea of dodging her blows while it sounds good to start with is the worst way to go it just makes her angry and that much harsher.

Half an hour later I laid on the ground in my room too afraid to move in case of making noise and angering her again. Sam’s favorite shirt laid underneath me getting blood on it but I couldn’t move either it or myself. Finally I pulled myself together as I heard my alarm clock going off, half an hour before I had to leave for school.. I couldn’t pull myself up to get the clock to shut up and my moves were becoming sketchy as I tried to crawl over to the dresser, I slipped on the trail of blood coming from a cut on my hand and landed hard on my arm. Mom came running in and picked up the clock turning it off before throwing it at me.

“Get up before you are late for school.” She sneered before turning to leave.

“Can I stay home if I promise to be quiet?” I asked my voice sounded completely small and broken.

“Whatever but the minute you bug me is the minute I take you to school.”

“Deal.” It was Friday, at least it was only one day of school I would be missing but there was no way I could show my face there looking how it did.

“Kimberlee are you in here?” Alex asked as he walked into my room, I hadn’t moved from the ground and the blood around me had grown rather sticky. “What happened to you?”

“What are you doing here?” I asked my eyes growing wide. “Was my mom home?”

“No I knocked a couple times but no one answered and the door was unlocked so I was just going to drop your homework off in your room. I’m sorry.” He was staring at me I could feel his gaze burn through my skin. “I should go.”

“Don’t go. Will you help me up? Please?”

“What happened?”

“I fell.” He picked me up and led me to my bathroom. “Why are you over here anyways?”

“Sam told me to bring you your homework after you didn’t show up for school. He seemed really worried and now I know why.”

“Yeah I’m sorry you had to see me like this.”

“JP is outside waiting for us so once you’re cleaned up lets go.”