Neon Hearts

weird boys and pizza runs

“Give me a controller, someone please?” Alex asked once he realized what he was doing. All of our eyes shot towards his worried voice out of surprise and JP tossed him the controller. He moved so I had to sit up and move away from him. “Trade spots with me?” JP looked confused but moved onto the couch anyways giving him the spot on the floor.

“Awesome he hates me.” I whispered to JP before excusing myself to the kitchen. JP got up and followed me. “What did I do?”

“You didn’t do anything you were just laying there and he freaked out for some reason.”

“I must have done something. He didn’t even want to be near me. It’s probably because of these stupid cuts and bruises. I hate her.”

“No it’s not, he likes you. It probably just made him nervous to be that close to you. Or maybe he just wanted to play the game. Anyways look at the time.” I glanced towards the oven where the clock showed it was a little after six.

“I don’t understand it’s 6:15 so what?”

“Let’s go get pizza.” I gasped and started walking towards the door not checking to make sure he was behind me. “I’m going to go get us pizza, also I’m taking Kimber.” We rushed out the door before more could be said.

“Why is he taking her?” Anthony asked as the door slammed.

“Sam should be there. Every year he and his family eat at pizza hut. They should be there around now.” Alex said trying to keep full attention on the game, “She probably just wants to see him you know she is in love with him.”

“What? Oh did she turn you down for the banquet is that why you are acting weird?”

“I’m not acting weird. And she said yes.”

“Yes you are acting weird. If she said yes what’s this crap about her loving Sam?”

“When I was getting her clothes she told me she was hanging out here tonight and when I said something about her never hanging out here all night she said she was always at Sam’s so she had no reason to be here. No reason.”

“I’m sure that’s not what she meant. Sam lives next door to her. It makes sense for her to go there.”

“I know but she could come here. I would take care of her.”

“Its ok man, I mean she is going to the banquet with you. That must mean something.”

“Sam!” I yelled as I jumped into his arms, “I’m sorry.” He set me down from the awkward hug and pulled me out of sight of the table where his family sat. “This whole thing has gotten really crazy huh?”

“Are you ok?” He asked softly looking at the cut above her eye.

“Fine I promise, guess what happened to me today?”

“What? If it isn’t you getting beat by your mom I may never guess.”

“You know how you sent Alex and JP for me? Well it was like the best thing you could have ever done. Thank you so much Alex got me cleaned up then JP bandaged everything. But then Alex asked me to go to his freshman sports banquet thing, isn’t that cool?” Sam’s grasp on my hands released and the calm concerned look on his face turned to that of complete surprise.

“So what you’re dating him now?”

“No it’s not a date, its just us going to this dinner together. What does it matter I thought you were going to be happy for me.”

“Your mom isn’t going to let you date.”

“It isn’t a date. Anyways she never said I couldn’t date.”

“She sure freaked out when she thought we were together.”

“Your mom told her we were sleeping together. Sam what’s wrong? Why is everyone acting weird towards me.”

“What do you mean everyone?”

“Well Alex was acting weird after I said I would go with him.”

“I got to get back they will be noticing if I am gone for much longer, see you in a week.”

“See you in a week.” He kissed my cheek and then left. I leaned back towards the wall unbalanced from his kiss but still ended up on the floor in amazement. JP walked over to me and held out his hand, I grasped it lightly and laughed as he pulled me up.

“What did he do to you?” JP asked with a slight laugh in his voice.

“He kissed my cheek it took me by surprise is all.” My hand moved up to my cheek.

“Hey come on the kids must be getting hungry.”