Status: Finished.

To know you is to hate you.

Steady as he goes.

What happened to the man on the stage? ; the grown boy and his guitar? He had been the Jesus to so many, the philosopher and the politician all in one. Now, here he was, stitched together like a rag doll ; sedated, in a hospital bed.

Oh how the mighty fall.

The minutes melted into hours. Voices merged and became like white noise to my ears. There was only me and Billie Joe; everyone else was a supporting cast.

Adrienne and the boys were made to wait in a family room. Tre, the Jasons and I were questioned about that evenings events. I, unlike the other men, remained silent for the duration of the discussion.

Their words meant nothing to me and I couldn't tell if they were defending or condemning Billie. I could only hope it was the former.

As hopeless as the situation was, I still searched for a way out. I tried to find any possible reason why Billie Joe would have attacked his family; anything other than homicide or insane.

Eventually, after what seemed like an age, we were dismissed. Tre and the Jasons went back to the family room while I wondered down the hallway to Billie's bed side. There I stood, gazing down at the man I loved so deeply and allowed myself to weep.

He looked so fragile. His arms were cut to ribbons, his bones jutted from his skin; even his heart beat seemed different. Yet, under sedation, he looked peaceful.

“BJ -” I chocked, “what happened? Where did this all go wrong?” I shook my head, “If – when I get my hands on those punks; I'll kill them for what they've done to you.”

I cried more than I had done in weeks. I felt the pain of my looming divorce and the inevitable fight for custody, the fear for Billie Joe and the guilt for his family. Each rolled into the next; and it seemed like nothing made any sense.

To hell with my pride.

I woke to find myself with my head on Billie's shoulder, my backside on a chair and my back covered with a worn, hospital blanket. My whole body was stiff from the awkward way I had lay.

“When did it get this hard?”

I yawned and gazed at Adrienne, who was sat beside me.

“When God decided he wanted a show.” I answered.

Adrienne nodded. In her hands she held a set of rosary and I watched as she twirled the beads between her fingers.

“I didn't know you were religious.

““I'm not.” she sighed, “But someone once told me that God loves a trier.”

“Well, that some one lied.”

“Why do you say that?”

I felt tears well in my eyes, “A God who lets this happen to a good man like Billie Joe doesn't love anyone. He's playing a game and we are his puppets. If that is the God we are stuck with; I don't want to know him.”

We sat in silence. I didn't know if I had insulted her or not, but frankly I was in no mood to second guess.

A few nurses walked in and out, checking vitals and what not. I paid no attention to them, nor did Adi; we simply gazed at the man we both loved.

“Bill- That thing, told me about you and Billie.” she whispered.

My heart sunk. I couldn't look at her; I didn't want to see the pain in her eyes.

“Yes. Brittney knows too. She figured it out and left me last night.”

“ I can't say I'm not hurt Mike, but, who am I to stand in the way of love.” her voice was hoarse, “ I'll probably feel angrier after this is all over.”

I nodded.

“I'm Sorr-”

“I know. But I don't want to hear it.”

“ For the safety of your family, Mrs Armstrong, and for the safety of those around your husband, I am afraid we have no choice but to commit him.”

Billie Joe wasn't even awake yet and already they were condemning him. I put my arm around Adi's shoulders only to have it thrown off.

“However,” The doctor went on, “His condition is...not the best. To say he will be committed is no guarantee that he will survive.”

“But – but there's a good chance, isn't there?” Adi asked.

“Mrs Armstrong, you have to understand the extent of the damage that your husband has done to his body. His heart is weak from his starvation and he has severe damage to his arteries. We also found rather deep wounds on his thighs and some were infected.” he sighed, “Maam, without being rude; I wouldn't hold my breath.”

He nodded solemnly and left the room.

Adi sat in silence. I looked from her to my friends and then to the boys. No one, despite the news we had just received, was crying.

“W-why are you all so fucking calm?” I snapped, tears running down my cheeks, “He could die! Our Billie could die and non of you give a damn? Non of you can even shed a tear?”

“Mike. Shut up.” Adi said.

“Billie Joe's strong, Mike. He can beat this.” White whispered.

There was a murmur of agreement ; either everyone didn't give a damn or they were just too scared to try.