A Friend Like Me

Revenge

It doesn't matter what they say
In the jealous games people play

Our Lips Are Sealed - The Go-Go's

“NICHOLAS!” I bellowed, barging into Nick's room.

I now do this often, I realize. Barging into people's hotel rooms via borrowing their extra room keys, that is.

Nick looked up from strumming his guitar, obviously in the middle of writing a song.

“You just broke my thought process,” Nick stated.

“You'll remember it eventually,” I said, sitting down next to him on his bed.

Nick sighed exasperatedly. “Fine. What's up?”

“Joe,” I responded instantly. “He's like still weird.”

“You mean weirder than usual?”

“Oh, ha ha. I mean, I know you said he likes me, but –”

“He does,” Nick interjected.

“Then why is he all, 'Demi, Demi, Demi!' now?”

Nick stared at me. “Because,” he said slowly, as if the answer was extremely obvious, “he's trying to make you jealous.”

“What?”

“He's trying to make you jealous – and succeeding, too. I think he's sort of retaliating from the James thing.”

I must've looked skeptical, because Nick added, “Besides, since when have you seen him act like this? Suddenly he's increasing the PDA (which is gross) and he gets really moody when James is around or when someone mentions James. And speaking of James, he was Joe's idol before, remember? And now he's his sworn enemy or something.”

I pondered this. I mean, it did fit. It actually fit really well, once you got over it's incredibility.

“So,” I said, “what do you think I should do?”

Nick rubbed his temples, like this was irritating him. “Tell him how you feel! How many times do I have to tell you?”

I shook my head. “I can't tell him.”

“You're not going to ruin anything. Joe feels the same way about you.”

“Well – I still told Demi that I didn't and that she could date him. If I tell Joe that I love him and if he does have feelings for me, then he could break up with Demi and she'll be depressed.”

Nick stared at me.

“What did you tell Demi that for?!” Nick finally said.

I shrugged. “I don't know. I didn't have enough time to think.” I got up. “You know what? I think I'll go shopping. You know, retail therapy.”

Nick rose, too. “Don't. Just tell him the truth. You'll save us all a lot more drama.”

“I can't. I told you, I already told Demi that she could have Joe,” I said and my eyes started to water.

I mean, what if what I did say to Demi pretty much sealed the deal? What if in two or so years, I find myself at their wedding?

I'm so stupid.

“Just tell him the truth,” Nick repeated, “and don't do anything stupid, like getting him back.”

And just like that, Nick just unintentionally gave me an idea of what to do.

Besides, Joe started this, so fine. That's the way he wants it? Then let the games begin.

{∞∞∞}

“You know,” I said, checking my watch, “I should probably get going in a while. Don't want to be late for the party.”

Nick and I were stuck in Joe's room, supervising Demi and Joe. Unfortunately, I was roped into it when Joe wanted to bring Demi to his room and said that I'd watch them, meaning that they wouldn't do anything that would – you know, break any promises.

Mainly the types of promise that's in the form of a ring worn on his left hand.

So I dragged Nick with me so he can suffer along with me (although he's not in love with either Joe or Demi).

“Oh yeah, that,” Nick said. “Well, since you're taking Joe, you'd still be late, anyway.”

“Oh no,” I said, raising my voice. “I'm actually gonna take Conner Abner.”

There was a loud, sucking sound as Joe resurfaced from Demi. Nick's jaw dropped and his eyes popped for a second, but he regained his composure and raised his eyebrows at me.

What?” Nick said, although it sounded more like a statement rather than a question.

I let out a loud, girlish, and extremely uncharacteristic giggle, pretending not to notice that Joe was staring at me now. “Yes, Nick. Didn't you know? I was going to ask James, but he's busy, seeing as he's going on another tour.”

Nick stared at me too.

“I thought you were taking me,” Joe said finally.

I turned to him, pretending that I forgot he was in the room. “Oh, well, I thought you'd rather spend time with Demi. Since, you know, she is your girlfriend.”

Joe looked me in the eyes for a second and then got up. “I-I'm going to go grab something to eat – alone.”

Joe left the room as Demi sat back down.

Okay. Great. That revenge thing was really stupid. Not that this is a big surprise though, really. The last two weeks of my life seem to just consist of, well, lying and stupid decisions.

But now I've hurt him so much that he can't even be in the same room as me.

“Ava, you should go,” Nick said, his eyes wide, trying to give me some sort of silent message.

I tilted my head to the side, not getting the silent message. I was never really any good at these.

“The party?” Nick continued, his eyes still as wide as saucers. His eyes flickered over to the door, then to me, then back to the door.

“What are you – oh yeah!” I exclaimed, getting it. “Yeah. I'm just going to, uh, go now. See you two later.”

I ran into the hallway and saw Joe dragging his feet along the carpet, his usual swagger gone.

“Joe?” I called.

He turned around, his eyes red. But when he saw me, his mouth thinned.

“What the hell was that?!” he exploded.

I flinched “What are you talking about?”

“You're bringing Connor to the party? You said you were taking me! What, can you do nothing but lead me around now?” Joe said loudly.

Joe ran his hand through his hair angrily, his eyes boring into me. “I thought you actually wanted to to that party with me – and not as friends,” he said in a softer voice.

All thoughts of comforting him vanished from my brain.

“Oh really?” I said icily. “Well what were you doing kissing Demi then?”

“I – you were the one that decided to bring Connor to the party at the last minute,” said Joe.

“Me?” I repeated. “You were the one who keeps making out with Demi whenever I'm in the room. And now you think that we should go to that party as a – as a couple?! Joe, honestly, are you that desperate?!”

“Are you that jealous?” Joe retorted.

“Jealous?” I shrilled. “Jealous? What makes you say that?”

“Oh, come on, Ava. Don't deny it.”

“God, Joe, are you that conceited? Not every girl is in love with you. And look, you might've been under the impression that I was going to take you as my date, but since – since the circumstances changed…”

“So it's my fault again?”

“Oh, stop acting like you're so completely blameless. If you hadn't decided to do nothing but kiss Demi this whole week, none of this would be happening.”

“I can be with who I want to be, Ava,” Joe shouted. “Besides, you – you can't complain, because – because you can't.”

“That has nothing to do with anything!” I yelled back. “What I'm saying is that –”

But Joe didn't get to know what I was really saying, because Nick and Demi chose that moment to run at us.

“We could hear you two from all the way in there,” said Demi.

Joe opened his mouth to talk, but Nick said, “Joe, don't say anything.” Joe glared at him, so Nick continued, “You guys are always going for each other's throats these days. It's enough to annoy anyone.”

“It's Ava's fault,” Joe said childishly. “It's no wonder I was her only friend in school, no one can stand her. Av, I don't need you anymore. I have Demi.”

Nick immediately moved between us, like he knew I was about to attack Joe.

And I was. It's just that what he said hurt too much.

Tears were welling up in my eyes and I managed to say, “F-fine, I'll go then. I hope you're happy.”

Nick and Demi wore bemused expressions and Joe's sneer disappeared, regret and concern on his face now.

“Wait, Ava,” Joe said faintly as I turned around to leave, his tone completely different from before. “I –”

“Ju-just shut up, Joe,” I interjected, stuttering because of the tears I was holding back. “You've – you've said enough a-already.”

I turned on my heel and left before I could dissolve into tears.

{∞∞∞}

“Hey Nick,” I said solemnly, walking into his room, dragging a tote I'd stuffed everything I'd need for one night (do not say that's what she said). “Mind if I crash on your couch for the night? I need someone to talk to right now. Normally, I'd – you know, go to Joe, but seeing as – well, this is his fault, I can't.”

Nick offered me a small smile. “Want me to go get some snacks?”

“Yeah,” I sighed. “That'd be nice.”

As Nick opened the door out of the room, I said, “There's a Food Stop down the street.”

Nick just nodded and left, probably because what I just said didn't make sense. I mean, he could just use a vending machine that's probably somewhere in the building.

I sighed and opened a cupboard under the TV and saw the little “hotel snack bar” that fancy hotels come with. As I reached for a small pack of Pringles, I went through another flashback.

“It's no wonder I was her only friend in school, no one can stand her. Av, I don't need you anymore. I have Demi.”

My eyes started to water again, the tug at the back of my throat coming back.

Honestly, I don't know when I've been this sensitive. But I guess that's what happens when your best friend tells you that it's no wonder nobody can stand you, that he doesn't need you anymore, because he has Demi Lovato.

Glad to know that seventeen years were wasted and mean nothing to him.

I sniffled, trying to hold the tears back, only to give up. I reached for the Pringles again, turned the TV on, and flipped to a little marathon of Gossip Girl.

Because at times like these, all you can do is lie on your stomach on a hotel bed while eating Pringles and watching Gossip Girl.
♠ ♠ ♠
OHOHO, THANKS FOR THE STORY COMMENTS, GUYS. Much happiness ensured afterwards. AND this story is up to, like, five stars!

Also, sorry I didn't update that quickly. But you can blame school and Sims 3 for that.

And since last time I update was last year, happy new year/decade!

By the way, here's my twitter. Accio brain! You're going to have to request though, although that might change.