A Friend Like Me

For an Instant

It only takes a moment
For your eyes to meet and then
Your heart knows in a moment
It will never be alone again

It Only Takes a Moment -- Hello, Dolly!

“Ava! Ava! AVA, WAKE UP, IT'S CHRISTMAS!”

You'd think that's Frankie, but no.

It's a certain twenty-year old named Joe Jonas.

I groaned and hitched up the comforters more, even though they were up to my shoulders already. “Joe, go away.”

Joe shook my shoulder. “Come on! And you don't talk to people like that on Christmas!”

“No!” I moaned. “Shut up and let me sleep.”

“If you don't get up, I'm going to jump on you.”

“Jump on me and I will brutally murder you. Tomorrow's headline will read BRUTAL MURDER AT JONAS DALLAS HOUSEHOLD.”

Joe yanked away the covers off of me. “Wake up!”

Out of nowhere, my face was freezing, drenched with cold water.

My eyes flew open and I quickly sat up. “JOE!”

Joe grinned at me, his hair still sticking up, signaling that he just woke up himself. “Well, that worked,” he said, backing away from me, laughing. “Merry Christmas, Summers!”

“Joe,” I said darkly. “Get back here.”

Joe, straightening up his glasses, shook his head and sprinted off. I took off after him.

“Help!” Joe shouted as we bounded through the hallway. “Mom! Dad! Mrs. Summers! Mr. Summers! Your daughter is about to kill me!”

Frankie stuck his head out from his bedroom, looking sleepy. “What's going on?”

Joe barged into Frankie's room and held Frankie in front of him as a shield. “You can't murder me, Ava! You said that you'll kill me if I jump on you, not poured water on you.”

I stood in Frankie's doorway, hands on my hips. “You're an idiot. Quit using Frankie as a shield so I can hit you.”

“Can we open presents now?” Frankie asked.

“When everyone's up,” I said, “but that doesn't mean you should go wake them up!” I added as Frankie and Joe ran out of the room to wake everyone up.

I sighed and went to the guest room I was using. Grabbing a hair tie from the desk, I pulled my hair into a loose bun.

“We're not opening presents yet until after breakfast,” Joe informed me surlily when I got down to the living room. “Mom's making waffles; they're almost done, though.” He stared at the presents underneath the giant, extravagantly decorated Christmas tree, as if staring at them would pass the time more quickly.

I nodded and sat down next to him. “You're so impatient.”

“Nah, I'm just excited, that's all.”

“And I thought you were going to wake people up.”

“I did. Apparently when you were chasing me and I was yelling, we were so loud that we woke everyone up.”

“You mean, you were so loud.”

Joe stuck his tongue out at me. “I wouldn't be yelling if you weren't chasing me.”

“I wouldn't have been chasing you if you hadn't poured cold water on me.”

“I wouldn't've poured water on you if you just woke up in the first place. So it's your fault, Summers.”

“Hey, you kept me up last night because you wanted to play Monopoly. And fix your hair; it's standing up.”

Joe stuck his tongue out at me again. “You fix it.”

“At twenty years old, you should be able to comb your hair, Joseph.”

Joe lightly smacked my arm. “That's mean.”

I stood up. “I'm going outside.”

As I walked up to my room to change into warmer clothes (jeans, a black long-sleeved crew neck, a red scarf, and my black coat), So Close played in my head.

The stupid song, not doing anything to keep me in a happy mood, kept playing in my head, ever since that dance with Joe.

You know, the one where we actually talked about where we were going.

The one that would have left me a little happier, if we weren't interrupted.

But, as it is, I am fortune's fool.

I sympathize a lot with you, Romeo, for that. We both know what it's like to be fortune's fool, to be followed with bad luck in some way or another.

Not that I have it as bad as Romeo, though, because I haven't killed anyone or myself, nor do I plan to. Also, Joe's family and mine do not have this mortal feud.

Quite the contrary, actually.

But in my case, it's being interrupted at the wrong times, stringing along a good-natured, amiable guy, studying abroad in Czech Republic in the spring, and falling in love with my best friend who I happen to disagree a lot with.

Stupid fortune. I hate you. Go make someone else your fool, preferable someone who's been living too good of a life. Or, you know, that woman I talked to on the phone when I called in to ask how I could cancel studying abroad.

As soon as I got outside though, I was hit in the face by a snowball.

“You took a long time to come outside,” said Joe, laughing, also having changed to regular clothes.

“I thought you were inside,” I said, wiping the snow from my glasses.

“I was bored.”

I shivered. “Ugh, Joe, thanks a lot. I'm freezing.” Turning around, I scooped up some snow from the patio table onto my hands, hoping to be clandestine.

Joe's smirk disappeared, worry replacing it. “Oh.” He jogged towards me, wrapping an arm around me. “We better get you inside, then. Are you okay?”

“Ha!” I said as I threw the snow I was holding into his face, laughing. “Gotcha.”

Joe wiped his face with his pajama sleeve, letting me go and facing me. “Ava!” He grabbed my hands. “Whoa, your hands are freezing.”

I wiped my cold hands on my jeans. “I know.” I chucked another snowball at him.

Joe, distorting his face, gasped dramatically, clutching his heart as he slowly fell to his knees. Even though the ground was covered with snow, he fell forward, face down, saying, “Another vile traitor has betrayed me!”

I marched over to him and nudged him with my foot. “You're so dramatic. Honestly, I don't even know how many times you've done a death sequence every time I hit you.”

Joe was silent.

“Oh, I suppose I have to mourn over your 'dead' body now? Do I have to do a long monologue of how I'll miss you?”

Joe turned over, squinting up at me. “Did you like my Shakespeare sentence, though?”

“That wasn't Shakespeare….”

“Yeah, when that one guy killed Caesar.”

I knelt beside him. “Brutus?”

“Yeah, him.”

“Caesar never said that. He said, 'Et tu, Brute! Then fall, Caesar.'”

“You're weird.”

“Says the twenty-year old who keeps pretending to die.”

“I only did that once!”

“Yeah, once these past two months.”

“Fine, do you want me to tickle you like I did last time, then?”

I scurried away from him as he moved toward me. “No. Don't you dare.”

My mom opened the door. “It's time for breakfast,” she said and went back inside.

{∞∞∞}

“Av,” Joe said, eying me as I unwrapped a present from Nick, “you don't have to unwrap it so carefully. You can actually rip the wrapping paper, you know.”

I carefully removed the tape. “Shut up. I like the design on the wrapping paper.”

“But you've been doing that for every single present, not to mention every single present you've ever received that was wrapped with wrapping paper.”

“Well, I don't want to rip it.”

Joe, even though he was grinning at me, rolled his eyes. “Only you, Av.”

Finally, I peeled the last of the wrapping paper – red, embellished with gold leaves – off, revealing the present – the newest Final Cut Studio. “Wow, Nick! Thanks!”

“Okay, open mine now!” Joe thrust his present, in a bag, toward me. “And I'll open yours at the same time.” He took my present. “On the count of three – and you're can't be careful, by the way, because it's in a bag – one…two…three.”

I yanked out the tissue paper and pulled out a picture frame – outlined in scraps 1940s looking comic – with a picture of Joe and I in it. It was in London (a red telephone booth was visible) and it was on the day we went sightseeing. Joe, smiling, was hugging me, his eyes closed, while I, laughing, was trying to escape him, an SLR in my hands; Rob Hoffman had taken the picture.

“Ooh, Ava!” Joe exclaimed, holding up the DVD I made. Staying up late, I had compiled our home videos together using iMovie and my own effects.

I'm not gonna lie though. I got the idea from that JONAS episode of theirs where they ruined their home videos.

“Joe, this is amazing!” I said. “Did you make this?”

Joe nodded. “Nick and Kevin and John and everyone were making fun of me because I kept messing up.”

“It was funny,” Kevin piped up. “You should've seen him. He kept gluing strips together and stuff.”

Joe turned slightly pink. “Well – well it's not my fault I don't know how to paper-mâché, though, or whatever it is. And then there was that gloss paint that I had to put over it or something.”

I laughed as I pictured Joe hunched over an ordinary wooden picture frame, accidentally gluing pieces of the comic together, then spilling the gloss. “Well, it's the thought that counts. Not that your gift's a horrible one, that is, because it's not.”

Joe grinned. “Really?”

“Looks like we're done here,” Nick said.

“Wait,” Mrs. Jonas said, grabbing a small parcel from underneath the tree. “There's another one we missed.” She checked the tag. “Ava, it's for you! It's from James!”

Joe stood up suddenly.

“Where are you going?” Frankie asked him. “We're not done yet.”

Joe, his grin gone, sat back down. “Nowhere.”

“Well, go on,” Mom said after I took the package. “Open it!”

Under their prying eyes, I peeled away the parcel paper and then opened the package. Yet beneath even that was a neatly wrapped present.

Gah. This is why, if James was going to give me a present, he should have handed it to me before I left for Texas. By handing it to me personally, I would also be able to open it in the privacy of my own room, away from everyone's – except Joe's – curious eyes – Joe merely looked annoyed and frustrated.

“Wow,” I said when, finally, I removed the wrapping paper and opened the black velvet box – inside was a gold multi-chain bracelet with a hook and eye clasp. A branch-shaped charm was connected to a chain, its opposite end connected to another chain. I picked it up, being careful not to tangle it or anything, and held it up for everyone to see.

“Wow!” Mrs. Jonas exclaimed. “That James is so sweet…you should've met him, Anne,” she said to my mom.

I noticed a letter in the parcel. I picked it up and opened it, reading it aloud:

Dear Av,

I hope this finds you before Christmas and not after. There's always something about opening presents on Christmas morning (or on midnight, whichever you prefer).

I'm sorry I couldn't hand this to you earlier. I know it probably would have been easier if I had just handed it to you, but I was busy, then I had to go to England.

Have a merry Christmas and a happy new year!

I'll see you soon.
James


“He does seem like a great guy,” Mom added. “Why did you break up with him?”

I shrugged. “I don't know.”

Actually, though, I do know. I just don't like James in that way. When we kiss, it's like…I mean, my lips feel warm and stuff, but it's nothing special. And I don't even really think about him, unless I'm with him (and even then, my mind wanders over to Joe) or if someone else brings him up. A bump of the shoulder with Joe sends more electricity through me than does a kiss with James.

Beside me, Joe grew more and more tense.

“He believed that article about Ava,” Joe snapped.

“Speaking of that article,” Danielle said, “how come Katelyn Sage wasn't at the wedding? I mean, knowing her, I expected to see her there at least or something….”

“Long story short,” I said, “I found out Joe's computer was bugged and told her that if she published another horrible article, I'd turn her in to the police.”

Meanwhile, Frankie told Joe, “It wasn't his fault.”

Mrs. Jonas nodded. “He was only being careful – besides, he's only met her a couple of months ago. Everyone makes mistakes, Joseph. You don't have to be so hostile toward him.”

Joe, staring at his feet, became silent.

“Now I want to meet this person,” Dad said. “Although I've always thought that you're better off with other people.” While he said this, he shot Joe an odd, furtive look.

Nick was glancing nervously at Joe and I, while Kevin and Danielle were off in their own little world (gross). “Yeah…maybe we should…uh…make hot chocolate.”

“Later,” Mrs. Jonas said impatiently. “And when we went to their estate at London,” she continued, “his whole family was friendly. We even had this extravagant supper.”

“He was a great guy,” Mr. Jonas agreed. “I approved of him. I always thought you should get with someone like that. Wouldn't take advantage of you or argue with you too much, I think.”

“Yeah,” Mrs. Jonas said. “Ava, you deserve someone like that. He's sweet and he works hard, like you, and to add to that, he's modest, too.”

Abruptly, Joe stood up and left the room, stalking off.

Mrs. Jonas frowned. “What's the matter with him?”

“I don't know,” I lied. “I'll go get him.”

Gently placing the bracelet back in the box, I went after him, clutching the black velvet box in my hands.

A door slammed somewhere in the upper floor – Joe's bedroom.

“Joe!” I called loudly as I stomped up the stairs. “Joe, get down here!”

No answer.

I marched to his bedroom door, rapping on the door with my knuckles. “Joe, get out of there!” Deciding not to bother, I opened the door. I kicked the door behind me shut.

Joe, laying down on the bed, sat up and stared at me with accusing eyes. “What are you even doing here? Wouldn't you rather be spending Christmas with James so you two can snuggle up by the fireplace?”

I narrowed my eyes at Joe, crossing my arms over my chest. “What's your problem?”

He stood up. “I thought you and James were done already.”

I blinked. “We are. James and I are just friends.”

“Uh-huh, right. Guys don't just give out jewelry as presents, you know.” Joe folded his arms, causing his biceps to bulge.

Hey Joe, I'm trying to be mad at you. So, if you'd please stop accentuating your muscles like that, that would be nice.

Because honestly, it's really hard to be mad at an already-attractive guy, nevertheless one whose biceps are bulging.

“What are you talking about?” I countered. “He's just being friendly.”

Too friendly, if you ask me,” Joe replied harshly. “Av, I seriously can't stand him. He's trying to get you to like him.”

I raised my eyebrows. “It's just a piece of jewelry. It's not like it has a heart on it or anything.”

“Don't act so naïve.”

“You're just angry that everyone thinks he's a great guy!”

Joe stiffened. “They're wrong.”

“Oh? Well, you're the only one who seems to think that James is this villain.”

“That's because – that's because I'm the only who can see him for who he is. Ava, why can't you just open your eyes?!

“Joe, I've known James longer than you have. He's not a bad guy.”

“Av, it's not just that. He's just not right for you.”

“Oh? How many times are you going to throw that in my face? You always bring it up. You always tell me that James isn't right for me.”

“BECAUSE HE'S NOT!”

Behind me, the door swung open, causing Joe and I to tear away our icy gazes at each other.

“Guys,” Nick said exasperatedly. “Can you just give it a rest for one day? It's Christmas.

With that, he left as quickly as he came, shutting the door behind him.

“He's right,” said Joe when Nick left. “Av, why can't you be on my side for once?”

“I'm always on your side,” I retorted. “You haven't noticed that?”

“I have, it's just…I meant, why – why do you have to be so defensive about James?”

“Because you're so belligerent towards him!”

“Because he's so – ugh – I just – Ava, I just can't stand him. Why do you even like him?!”

“Stop telling me who to date! And I'm not even dating James anymore!”

“I'm not. I'm just – just go with someone better, Av.”

My mouth fell open. “Honestly, Joe, sometimes you make me so – so –” I pushed back the loose curls as I searched for a word “– frustrated!”

“Oh, that's ridiculous, because you make me so damn happy all the time!”

It's official. Our conversation is becoming weird and off-topic.

Also, Joe is losing his mind. Come to think of it though, I probably am, too.

“What?” I blurted.

“Every time I see you,” Joe continued angrily, “I just – I can't help but be a little bit happier. And – God, Av, you have absolutely no idea how confused I've been lately.”

I rolled my eyes pointedly. “Right. Let me guess, it's because you've 'fallen in love with your best friend,' right?”

Joe bit his lip before continuing. He looked me in the eyes. “Actually, Av, yeah.”

I rolled my eyes some more. “Oh, okay. Let me guess, it's because you've finally seen how perfect she is is?” I sneered. “Because you've finally seen how beautiful she actually is? Because you've finally seen how much she's been there for you? Because you've finally seen how long Demi's stuck with you? For what, two years? Right, Joe, because that's so long.

I was starting to sound bitter. Because you know what? I am bitter and I'm tired. I'm tired of how Joe and I are in this never ending cycle of hurting each other. I'm tired of how we're just stuck where we are. I'm tired of how blind he is to me.

“No,” Joe said loudly – louder than I was just a second ago, when I was breaking. “It's you.. Ava, it's you, dammit!”

Then, before I could even react, a chain of events, all a blur because they happened so quickly, followed.

Joe stepped toward me, his brown eyes still boring into mine. His hand flew out to my waist, grabbing it as he jerked me toward him, so close that he was pressed against me. His other hand cupped the side of my face.

And his lips crashed onto mine.

And I forgot about everything – our fight, James, James' present, the others waiting downstairs. I was completely unaware of the soft thump that James' present made when it tumbled from my hands and onto the ground. My heart was racing and nothing but Joe, the feel of his soft lips on mine, was on my mind.

I could feel the kiss all the way from the top of my head to the tips of my toes, and everywhere else in between.

It felt so surreal. It felt so sublime. It felt so right.

It felt so perfect.

Joe stopped, suddenly, pulling away but keeping his hands where they were – my waist, the side of my face. He looked into my eyes.

“A-And I'm the only one that – that calls you Av,” he said breathlessly and unsteadily after a while.

“Joe…” I breathed, sounding just as out of breath as he was, feeling lightheaded, even though our kiss was a simple close-mouthed one. I felt the corners of my mouth pull up into a dazed smile; Joe smiled back.

I laid my hands on his chest and kissed him.

In that moment, I didn't care at all how long it took us to kiss – how long it took me to get to this second. Because it was worth it. Worth every single second, day, month, year that it took to build up to this moment.
♠ ♠ ♠
It took them over 120 pages (at 0.79 margins, too) to do that.

And the song for this chapter is so adorable (it's in Wall-E!).

Also, this chapter is not the last. Neither is the next one, nor the one after that.

I was going to post this tomorrow, but tomorrow's the ides of March.

And the ides of March are bad (Julius Caesar, anyone?).

twitter
formspring