Sequel: Chasing our Fate

You Can't Fight Fate

A toast...

-Epilogue-

The deep base of Iyaz’s new song blared throughout the Fraternity house as I walked towards the back. People of all sizes and sports roamed the places, shouting and whooping at the fellow brothers. Groups of college students stood and huddles, talking, drinking and dancing with their friends. I scrunched my nose when a Pothead that had obviously just lit up emerged from the bathroom, his eyes were blood shot and he stumbled around, almost running into to me. The place reeked of booze, cigarettes and cheap cologne. Furniture was pushed against the walls and trashed was littered all over the ground.

I really didn’t see the appeal in these times of parties, but as a favor to some of my baseball buddies, I agree to attend at least one of their end-of-the-year parties. The gang chickened out; they weren’t the ‘college pride’ type of people. Parties to them were going to jazz clubs, a cool music lounge with live acts, or random diners. If they didn’t go out, they usually stayed at Stevvie’s pad playing board games by the candlelight or Video games.
Luckily, I convinced Stevvie to go with me. She was definitely not the party type and crowds made her uncomfortable. However, she was a sweetheart and agreed to join me anyway.

“Hey cutie!” An overly tanned, blond girl exclaimed, hopping in front of me. She was obviously drunk and very inappropriately dressed. I wished that girls knew that in wasn’t a turn-on when you showed everything you had. Mystery is always and good thing, it gives guys something they can look forward to.

I smiled at her politely and shrugged her off. I was searching for my girlfriend, unsuccessfully. I smiled, relieved that I spotted her high ponytail. I squirmed through all the people until I finally got to her; she jumped a little when I squeezed her sides. She pulled up her strapless, fitted floral dress and adjusted her leather jacket.
“You ready to go?” I murmured.

I watched her eyes light up as she grabbed my arm, signaling she was more than ready to go. I watched her hips sway swiftly. I couldn’t help but laugh as we weaved through the crowd of people, waving goodbye as we passed friends. I was truly going to miss college, and Stevvie. Today was our last day together with the gang, and one of the last few days with Stevvie until awhile.

The Jonas Brother were going a “favorites Tour”, it was a shortened world tour that involved all of our favorite stops. It was hard choosing just a few countries, but we managed to so we had a lot more down time between stops. Danielle and Kevin were taking little Maddie, and Joe was getting married in two days. The next week after their wedding, we would be off on the US portion. In September, we had the month off so I could get settled back in school and then October was the South American portion. Right after that, in November, I would be back at school and in December, I would be recording the Administration’s new album. Then, we were back on tour again to Europe in March. As for the Jonas Brothers, we were in the process of writing together again and we would be recording throughout the summer on the Bus like we did for “A little Bit Longer".

If I got my way, Stevvie would be there the whole time, but of course, when it came to her, I never did. She was as busy as I was with her book. I was more than excited when we finally got to see what her book was about. It was called “Chasing Fate” and it was a historical fiction young adult novel that depicted the struggles that Chasing Fate went through as they tried to make it big. Stevvie spent a lot of time talking to her family, and the band mates to really make her book true to what they actually did and it was cool to me that they didn’t hold back. In the book, she writes about how sometimes the guys got high before shows, and when they even got arrested a few times. She even talked about Julian’s addiction to cocaine and how his heart stopped at one point because of it. It was deep and depicted the band in a way I never saw. Those guys had been through a lot and had done a lot of things. I would have never believed the Greg had almost been shot at a club; he was so big and intimidating.

The best part for me was the love story of her parents, Jennifer’s parents didn’t approve of Todd and they were more than mad when they found out she was pregnant at sixteen. They even went as far as trying to force Jennifer to get an abortion or adoption. Can you imagine trying to decide to give up your unborn child at such a young age; I couldn’t even decide what shoes to buy at that age. At just seventeen, Todd was independent, broke and, he had gotten Jennifer pregnant. On top of that, he had to convince Jennifer and her parents to allow her to keep the baby. It was no wonder why Todd was overprotective of her because he almost lost her. Luckily, with the help of Todd’s parent’s she carried Stevvie, but I learned it wasn’t easy. Jennifer had gestational diabetes, making her pregnancy that harder, and she went into labor early. Stevvie had to stay in the hospital for three weeks after she was born because she was a preemie. The things they went through made my “hard times” sound like a field trip. It was going to be emotionally difficult for Stevvie, I could tell, when people ask her about the book. But, I think she did it on purpose, she really liked testing herself and taking on challenges.

“So, I’m super nervous about going on promotion tours this summer baby. What if I say something stupid on TV?” Stevvie complained. I shrugged as I slipped the key into the lock of her apartment. I had the privilege of getting my own key to her apartment since we’re going to be all over the place this summer.

“It’s simple, most of them ask the same questions so just give them the same answers and if they ask you a question you don’t want to answer, just give it a really long drawn out response that way it sounds like you answered while you really didn’t.”

“So…lie?” she asked, bunching her eyebrows together.

I helped her put of her jacket and placed a peck on her bare shoulder before heading to her front closet to hang it up.

“Well….I wouldn’t call it lying…”

She placed her hands on her hips pursed her lips and gave me an all too familiar look. I always could tell she was looking for an argument with me when she did this.

“Yes, it is Nicholas and it concerns me how you don’t feel guilty at all when you do it,” she stated confidently, “your fans aren’t dumb.”

I groaned once I realized where this was going. “Look baby, I know where you going with this and I suggest you just stop now before I get upset. I’m not in the mood for this right now.”

“yeah, don’t care. Anyway, I’m just wondering why you do it? Wouldn’t you want people to know you’re in love?” she asked, slouching down on her black leather Lazy boy.

Shrugging off my shoes, I rolled my eyes at Stevvie. “Sure, I want everybody to know every little thing about me. I should just tell them my shoe size too! It’s called privacy Mama bear.“

“Don’t go all cutesy girlfriend names on me while we’re having a conversation!” Her bottom lip poked out, causing me to melt. She was just too adorable sometimes.

“But you are my mama bear and I’m your Papa bear…” I sighed, “And I don’t want to fight with you.”

Stevvie hopped up to confront me, still in her five inch heels.

Her lips stayed pursed as she looked up at me. A smirk appeared on my face, knowing they wouldn’t stay like that long. I leaned down, placing my lips on hers and kissed her as gently as I could. Stevvie’s lips stayed tense, she was stubborn as heck, but within seconds, she gave in. She pulled me closer to her by the collar of my polo and kissed me deeply.

“Screw you and your soft lips,” she breathed before sucking my bottom lip into hers. I chuckled smugly until she bit my lip; it was a punishment and a turn on all in itself.

Did I mention I was going to miss my girlfriend this summer, well I was.

<->

I can’t believe it’s really over...”Storm muttered, “It feels like we were just here on the last day of Senior year celebrating, and now we’re doing the same thing, yet it all feels so different.”

It is because there are no Vodka shots!” Eric pointed out in an over exaggerated tone, “you could’ve at least let me get some wine or something! After a stressful year we totally deserve it.”

Stevvie snuggled into Nick chest and sighed. The gang all lied out on Stevvie’s balcony, enjoying the cool Chicago night. Their voices mixed with the city accompanied sounds of Norah Jones.

“Eric, it wouldn’t be right for all of us to get drunk while Mr. goodie-two-shoes over here sits there. Plus…I kind of got caught in the wine cellar by my dad. I tried though.”

Nick held back laughter at Stevvie’s failure. “On a serious note, things have changed. We’re all older and just a little bit wiser. So the question is what’s next?”

“Yeah…he’s right. We all have our career paths now…but, what does happen next?” Jackie agreed with Stevvie.

“You’re never going to be able to tell, trust me I’ve been in all of your positions before,” Nick stated, “all I can tell you is enjoy the ride and cherish it because those moments are going to be what you look at when you’re at the top. Don’t ever forget where you came from and who you are and you guys will be fine.”

The group all digested Nick’s advice. He was right because at one time he was trying to start his career. They could only hope to be as successful.

“You really think we have the potential to make it dude?” Storm asked.

“Yeah, I do. Storm touring with Justin Bieber is going to do wonders for your dancing career and Jackie interning for Anderson Cooper, one of the number one journalists in the country, you’re pretty much set. Eric, its Christian Siriano, you are interning for your fashion idol. You’re going to learn so much,” Nick responded, “Look, you guys all have talent but, the reason you guys will make it is because you guys are real, down-to-earth and reliable.”

“I think this moment calls for a toast!” Eric decided, “With our sparking cider….”

The gang all enjoyed a laugh as they passed out wine glasses of the overrated grape juice. Once they all got settled in a circle, they began their toasts.

“To…a great year of learning…both in and out of school,” Eric started.

“To…a great year of dreams and being blessed with the opportunities to fill them,” Storm decided.

“To…a year of firsts…Our first year of college and our first addition to the gang in eight years that we all hope will stay. That fifth spot has been filled year after year but never stayed. We hope you’re different Nick, we love you,” Jackie added.

“To…friendship…you guys are the first group of people my age that I’ve befriended since I’ve actually gone to school. I honestly can say that I wouldn’t have lasted this long in college without you guys. Thank you so much, you guys are my best friends,” Nick explained.

Finally yet importantly, there was Stevvie. She was the one who’s life had been changed the most and she honestly couldn’t choose what to toast to.

“To…us… no matter what, we know we’ll always have each others backs and I’m thankful for that. It won’t matter that we’ll be apart for the first time this summer because even when we’re eighty years old, I have a feeling we’ll come together just like this. Maybe we’ll share a few stories about our grand kids and great-grand kids and talk about which denture grip is the best, but we’ll still be friends. It’s not everyday you find someone that just plain gets you and we’re lucky enough to fine a whole group. We’ve all been through so much in our individual lives that I think bring us together and it makes us the gang. Also, to love…we have each endured the love life of each of us at one point whether it be the good or the bad parts and that’s what a true friend is. I remember us saying we would swear off love for our first year of college and look at us now. That’s a beautiful thing.”

Storm and Jackie smiled shyly. Apparently, on spring break they finally realized that they were made for each other. The funny part was that even though Eric was now considered a “fifth wheel” he embraced and even loved it. He was now the center of attention, which is of course, when he’s not with his boyfriend. Astonishing as it seems, Eric actually settled down. The gang was even surprised. They all clinked their glasses with one and others, toasting joyfully. The rest of that night was spent reminiscing about their childhood, their crazy year of college and discussing the future. Everything seemed to be looking up for these young adults…now let’s just hope they can stay that way.
♠ ♠ ♠
a little glimpse of the near future...
xo-S