Sequel: Chasing our Fate

You Can't Fight Fate

I don’t date rock stars.

Image

I skipped over to my door, eager to open it to let Nick in. On my way towards the door, a large rawhide bone happened to be in the way for me to trip on. After getting up from my fall, I fixed my hair and opened the door.

Nick looked me up and down suspiciously. “You just fell didn’t you?”

I looked away guiltily. “Possibly…”

Nick let out a chuckle as her entered my loft. “Your clumsiness amuses me.”

“Funny, it only seems to hurt me,” I replied as I shut the door, “what do you want to work on first?”

“Well. Sticks and bones?” he started as he picked up the bone I had tripped over, “…may hurt you, but its Chemistry that kills my GPA.”

I laughed as I followed him to my room. “I might be able to fix your chemistry problem…but if

I do, you would have to owe me.”

Nick put his book bag down and sat on the edge of my bed, he pulled me in front of him by my hips. I placed my hands on his shoulders and began to mess with his collar.

“…and what would I have to do?” he murmured.

“You think you could do anything about my clumsiness?” I asked, jokingly.

He looked me in the eyes and smiled. “Well…I don’t think I could really do anything about getting rid of it…but, could I compromise?”

“Absolutely,” I responded.

“How about I catch you?” he stated.

“When I fall?” I asked.

“When you fall,” he assured me.

You know that moment in the movies where the two lovers stop talking and suddenly both have the urge to lean in a kiss each other? Well, Nick and I were so totally having that moment…until (luckily) Prince let out a loud bark that startled us apart.

“No b-bark Prince,” I stuttered as I awkwardly removed myself from Nick’s embrace, “h-how about we get started.”

“Yeah…” Nick agreed as he opened his book bag.
<->

“Each man is the architect of his own fate.”

These nine little words are what I lived by. Ever since I was little, I felt that if I put my mind to something, I could make it happen. Well, here I am at eighteen years old and that feeling hasn’t changed. Of course, when I was six, I was determined to get on Broadway, which, if you are a fan of mine, you know I did. This time around, it’s a little more…personal.

“I don’t date rock stars,” she informed me nonchalantly, “what did you get for number seven?”

I stared blankly at my college chemistry book, in disbelief of what the girl I had been desperately crushing on for the past two months had just said. After months of longing stares and endless flirting, I had finally gotten up the courage to ask Stevvie out. Rejection was definitely a big reason why I had waited so long. I assumed the reason she would reject me was that she didn’t like me that way, or she didn’t want to be in a relationship right now, but never would I have guessed that it would be because of what I do. Just because I get up on stage in front of thousands of screaming fans and perform my heart out, or that I sometimes wake up with hundreds of fans outside my hotel hoping to get a glimpse of me, she wouldn’t date me. Music was my passion, it was what I was born to do, and Stevvie had the same fire and passion for it too. Instead of having blaring guitars and the loud, deep thumping of a bass drum behind her, she preferred the simplicity of a grand piano or the smooth swagger of a saxophone.

“What?” I asked, still in a daze of hurt and denial.

Stevvie giggled that adorable giggle I had always loved. “Number seven silly, what was your answer?”

I shook my head quickly, jolting myself out of my daze. “N-no, what did you say before that?”
Her gorgeous blue eyes caught mine. “Oh, I said I didn’t date rock stars. Now come on, we have to finish this so we can make the midnight showing of Singing in the Rain. You know I like sitting in the back and it’s always full unless you get there early.”

“Y-yeah, umm I got CaCl2 + H2O + CO2 on number seven,” I answered her first question.

Her eyes lit up with excitement as a smile formed her face. “That’s correct! You’re actually starting to get this.”

Stevvie kissed me on the forehead and ruffled my hair like she always did. She was the most affectionate girl I had ever met, and it teased me everyday.

I let out a fake chuckle to cover my depressed sigh. “Yeah, I just wish I could get the other kind of chemistry now.”

I watched her eyebrows knit together in confusion. “There’s another kind?”

I sat up from lying on my stomach and uneasily got up from her bed. My head still tingled from where she kissed me.

“Yeah…” I began, “you know it’s that… well, thing.”

Stevvie shifted her position; I could tell it was because her legs were falling asleep, they always do when she sits like she was sitting. “I’m not following...”

I rubbed that piece of my hair in the back on my head and looked at her through her vanity mirror. “Ummm…look at it this way; Hydrogen atoms only need two electrons in their outer level to reach the noble gas structure of helium. Once again, the covalent bond holds the two atoms together because the pair of electrons is attracted to both nuclei. Basically, it’s that attraction of the of the atoms…the need to pair together to make a better stronger bond. I feel that humans are the same way, which is why we are always searching for a partner, our soul mates. When you have an undeniable attraction and chemistry with another atom, what would you do if you were an atom?” I asked.

She rubbed her chin and scrunched her nose together. “Well…I would bond with that atom naturally.”

“Even if their job was a performing in front of thousands of fans and influencing them everyday?” I asked her.

I looked her straight in the eyes, expectant of her answer.

Stevvie finally sighed and walked over to me, she put her hands on my shoulders looked me in the eyes with her intense stare.

“Nick, I know what you’re trying to say, and you’re right. We do have chemistry. I mean, I like you…just not your job,” she stated.

I scoffed bitterly. “That’s like telling me you like me but not my left arm, it’s a part of me. It’s not going to go anywhere.”

Her hands slipped into mine. “I know, and neither is our relationship.”

Once Stevvie said this, it really hit me. She was serious about this, and I didn’t like it. I invested too much of my time to let her go. I also had gotten too attached to her too fast. Which was unusual for me, I usually guarded my heart like a plane at LAX, but she just barged right through, and I didn’t stop her. I was going make her mine and I was going to stop at nothing until she was. I didn’t know why, but I had a strong feeling she and I were meant to be together, not just because I liked her so much, but also because perhaps it was my…fate.

I dropped her hands and placed them on her hips, she crossed her arms, signaling she was nervous. I took a step forward, closing the gap between us.

“You do know we’re going to be together and you’re going to fall in love with me?” I whispered in her ear.

She smirked at me, not believing my statement. “And you this how?”

“It’s fate,” I stated as I began to play with the long chain she kept her dorm room key on.

“Fate?” she questioned.

“Yeah…fate. After all, you can’t fight fate.” I replied.

She nodded her head, “I think I’d like to prove you wrong Mr. Jonas.”
I smiled and replied, “Try me.”

Stevvie gave me a wink before walking out of my arms. Minutes later, she emerged from her bathroom in a slinky strapless top, and heels to go perfectly with her dark skinny jeans. Her long, dark hair fell in her eyes, the made her look oh so alluring. With dark makeup and deep crimson lips, I wanted to kiss her at that moment.

“You coming lover boy?” she asked extenuating the lover boy part.

I grabbed my leather jacket and her cardigan, helping her in it and (reluctantly) covering her bare shoulders and opened the door for her. After closing the door, I caught up with her and wrapped my arm around her shoulders.

“Tease,” I muttered.

“I never said I wasn’t,” she replied with a smirk as she stepped into my 1969 Shelby Cobra Mustang, I closed the door once she was in and jogged over to my side.

“If you want to do this the hard way, then okay, I can be a tease too,” I replied. I turned the key and revved up the engine. “You have no idea…”

“I don’t? Try me.” Stevvie responded.

I just shook my head and sped out of the parking lot. She would just have to wait.
♠ ♠ ♠
comments?
congratulations to Danielle and Kevin!