Conventional

Two

If you want my opinion, Alex Gaskarth is the best boyfriend in the world. If you ask my family, however, they would strongly disagree.

My brother James tells me that Alex is only using me. That he doesn’t want anyone to know about us because it would ruin his reputation and to him, I’m not worth it. James doesn’t understand, though; Alex does love me. He tells me every day, whether it’s during the week and through a text message or if we’re in my room on the weekend playing video games. I know he loves me. He just doesn’t want to lose his friends, and I can understand that. If I had friends, I wouldn’t want to lose them.

“Is Alex coming over today?” Juliette asks me as she washes her hands at the kitchen sink.

“Yeah… he always does.”

I roll my eyes at her and set my laptop down on the kitchen table. Alex has come over almost every weekend in the five months that we’ve been together. We met at the coffee shop down the block from where I live. I was sitting and doing homework and he just decided to sit down with me. I knew who he was of course, but he had no clue I even went to his school until I told him.

“Just wondering,” Juliette says. She walks to the fridge and pulls out a carton of eggs.

As she’s cracking eggs into a bowl, my mom comes in. “Starting dinner, Julie?”

“Yeah. But wait till I tell you what happened at school today.”

I roll my eyes again and drown out her voice. She’s probably telling some stupid story about the play that she’s trying out for at her college. Juliette wants to be an actress; I always tell her she’ll make it just because she’s the biggest drama queen on the planet. But I guess she kind of has good reason.

Juliette is the only girl in my family, besides my mom. I have six brothers, three older and three younger. My dad died when I was 12, so my mom has been raising us by herself for the past 5 years. She’s amazing though, and I’d say she did a pretty good job.

“Mom, Alex is sleeping here tonight. Is that okay?” I ask, even though I know she’ll say yes.

“Of course. I’ll set a spot for him at dinner.”

“Make sure James doesn’t sit near him,” I request.

James doesn’t hide his hatred for my boyfriend. But I wasn’t really surprised. He’s just looking out for me, I guess. He’s the oldest in the family at 21, and he goes to the community college along with Adam who’s 20 and Juliette who’s 19. Jayden is Juliette’s twin, but he decided not to go to college and is working as an intern at a record label company.

Adam takes a seat next to me and pulls my laptop away.

“Hey! I was using that.”

“I have to check my email.”

I watch as he types in his email and password and deletes over 200 new emails. I barely get 10 a day. But at the sound of someone knocking on the front door, I look away from the screen and see James pulling the door open. Alex steps inside, and for the first time all week, I actually feel happy.

*
♠ ♠ ♠
<33