I'd Rather Live, Than Live Forever

Sister Love

I usually wake up to my alarm clock set to the classical station on the radio; never from someone being loud from down the hall or a TV running in the next room. Our walls were built sound proofed, most of Carnile houses are due to all the instruments and vocal chords played in each room.

I remember my younger sister Carol taking advantage of this by sneaking out almost every night when she was 14. I never knew where she went, I just remember her climbing down the vine wall next to her balcony, pass the hedge maze, and disappear through the the trees.

Carol would never do anything to make a bad name for our family or hang out with people that would jeopardize her image. I had nothing to worry about and I always believed that whatever she did was none of my business.

Anyways, this morning was particularly different then any other morning. I woke up to a Japanese piece played by a Biwa, something you do not hear on the classical station. I opened my lids to feel the sun light sting my eyes, I didn't rush to put my slippers and robe on, I already knew who it was. The only person in this house that can play the Biwa, other than myself, was my mother and lo and behold there she was sitting outside with her legs tucked under her and the Biwa resting on her lap.

I sat identically across from her and waited patiently for her to finish. My family finds it very rude to talk before the song ends, it's like trying to interrupt a very important conversation. My mother is Aika Carnile; she met my father when she was performing in Japan at a Cherry Blossom festival. I never really knew the whole story, but I suppose they were instantly attached to each other.

She came to a settle ending and set the guitar looking instrument gently beside her.

"Good morning Melody,"

"Good morning mom," I smiled at her. If I had to choose who to love most in this family, it would be her. She secretly didn't care too much about the Carnile name, just for her children to grow up safe and healthy.

"I guess you are wondering why I woke you up,"

"Just a little bit, but I don't mind,"

She let out a small gush of air and folded her hands neatly on her lap "Your father and I are worried about Carol. We heard from her teachers that she has been skipping classes," I always admired how well my mother's English was, she could even pronounce her L's just perfectly, something not a lot of Japanese can do "Your father is scared that the media will make you sister look bad... I'm scared she is getting into trouble. She is still so young to be out by herself," She looked down solemnly, obvious she regretted letting Carol go at age 17 to study art in a different country.

"What did you want me to do?"

Her brown eyes held mine "I know this is a huge favor to ask, Melody, but we would like you to go over there to keep an eye out on her. We tried to get a hold of Harmony, but she is busy touring in China with her ballet group. You must go out and guide your younger sister," her eyes seemed some what pleading at this point.

I didn't know what much help I can do, I was never really the 'big sister' type. You know, watch over them, protect them, scold them when need be. I was never really the 'bitter sister' type either; I left that for Harmony and Carol. I was just... there, staying out of their way and shrugging to stay in the clear if they asked for my opinion.

I guess thats why they would of called Harmony first. She played more of the older sister role than I did, but seeing that I'm their only hope I obliged.

Mom smiled and clapped her hands together "Then it's set. You will leave next month, plenty of time to throw you a farewell party. Yes?"

I nodded "Of course,"

The weeks passed by quickly, the farewell party came and go, everyone from the music center that I worked with came and so did my family. My bags were packed and my furniture was sent to the apartment I picked out with mom the day she told me I was going to leave. Then, before I knew it, I was saying good bye to my close friends and parents at the airport.

Carol already knew I was coming, whether she was happy about it or not was a mystery to me. Either way, she said she would kindly pick me up from the air port. Last time I seen her was a year ago before she left for England. Carol always dyed her hair some sort of funky color, I’m starting to forget what she even looks like with her natural black hair. Before she left she died it from light bubblegum pink to electrifying blue. Perhaps all the chemicals finally sunk down through her scalp and destroyed the functions to get to school.

In order to hold the feeling of normality I took a first class flight to England instead of taking our private jet. This gave Carol a little bit more time before she has to face the wrath of Melody Carnile. Scary.

“Meeelooodyyy!” A girl just my size with crimson red hair and blond streaks yelled and literally jumped on top of me, making me fall onto my rear and drop my bags “Oh how I missed you so!”

I scrambled to get her off of me and back onto out feet’s, slightly blushing I said “Carol, that’s no way to great me. People are watching,”

She snorted as she stood before me with her hand on her jutted out hip “Plu-eease. Don’t tell me your still into all that crap are you?”

I abruptly stopped trying to keep my carry on balanced on top of luggage and looked at my younger naïve sister with wide eyes “Carol you can’t be serious,”

I knew Carol has always been the free spirited one, but when you make yourself look bad at this family will make everyone else look bad. It’s a chain and if your last name is Carnile then your attached to it.

Carol rolled her eyes “Come on Melody, lighten up, your no longer living with mommy and daddy. You’re free!” Carol raised her hands out like a bird and stood on her tippie toes.

“I’m here to make sure you don’t make a complete fool out of yourself and I was there living with mom and dad to take care of them,” I started to walk toward the elevator to take us to the parking area.

England is no stranger to me; I was born and raised here till I was 12.

This is the one place that really made me feel like home, even though my sister’s and I lost our accent years ago, I still felt that I was part of this beautiful country.

“Jeez, Melo, I thought you were the cool sister,”

“Jeez, Caro, I thought you were mature, but I guess we were all wrong,” I hit the up button and heard it ‘bing’ then open.

Carol silently fallowed me, I noticed she never helped me with my luggage “That was harsh,”

“And”

“I don’t remember you being so harsh,”

“I don’t remember you skipping school,”

“And,” she raised her eyebrow that I noticed contained a wire piercing through it.

I sighed “And you need to stop Carol. It’s not fair that mom and dad spend all this money for you to go to the top art school and you waste it away,”

“Hey, I’m the best painter in that building. I should be teaching the teachers in that class—“

“But you’re not a teacher Carol—“

“I don’t care, they don’t even know what they’re doing and besides I’m here on a full ride scholarship,”

Our voices raised about 5 octaves higher.

“But they are paying for your expensive apartment,”

“Well I’m a Carnile!”

“Then act like one,” I demanded.

There was a uncomfortable cough that zapped Carol and I into reality. There were about 5 other people standing in the elevator with us looking in different direction that wasn’t directed to us. A mother was trying to nonchalantly cover her child’s ear and a man in the corner kept readjusting his tie around his neck. When the next floor came they all coincidentally had to get off the same stop. This was not proper Carnile behavior.

I sighed feeling defeated and warn out “Look, we’ll just talk about it when you help me unpack tonight,”

“I have stuff to do,” She mumbled.

“Carol, I need your help,”

She was silent before she finally grumbled a fine.
♠ ♠ ♠
Aika means 'Love Song'

THANKS YOU FOR THAT ONE COMMENT IT MADE MY DAY!!!!

let me know how you guys like it yo! FEED ME WITH FEED BACK