Status: Sequel released!

It Was Easier Not Loving You

Pleasant Surprises and Oncoming Bad Luck

"Billie, do you have any sweet tea?" Niki called from the kitchen.

"I dunno, bu- Wah!"

She heard a thud and ran to analyze the damage.

"Hey, Mike," Tre nudged his arm, "how many Billies does it take to screw in a light bulb?"

"Apparently more than one." They laughed.

Niki helped Billie off the floor.

"Ha ha, Tre. The leg is still broken where you decided to play extreme musical chairs. Look."

He pushed the chair with his index finger and it wobbled a good amount.

"Not my fault you're a klutz," he grinned.

"Well, I'm going to the store for some tea. I know we don't have any at Tre's either. Anyone want anything while I'm out?"

"Oh, yes, you can pick up my dry cleaning, the dog needs more chow. Oh, and I could also use a new pair of shoes-"

The door slammed. He was too busy counting his fingers to notice she slowly walked away. Billie and Mike burst out laughing.

"How rude," Tre grunted.

"Court is adjourned," the judge bellowed.

The bailiff took Jennifer back to her cell and slammed the door shut. She rested her forehead against the metal bars gripping the bar to the right of her head.

"That's right, little girl, I'll be back in one year. You're dead this time. I'll make sure of it."

She tightened her grip on the bar turning her knuckles white.

Niki scanned the aisles for some snacks to take back when someone tapped her on the shoulder. She turned around and saw a man about her age.

"Yes?" she asked.

"Ma'am, you look oddly familiar. What is your name?"

"Niki Jarvis."

He pondered for a moment and snapped his fingers. "Ah, yes, we went to school together. I'm Joey McNeese."

"I'm sorry, I don't' remember you. Did we have classes together?"

"I believe it was English our Junior year."

"You wouldn't happen to be the one that bummed pencils off me all the time, would you?"

"Yep, that's me." He pointed his thumb to his chest and grinned.

"I'll have you know I spent God know how much money on your pencil supply."

"Well, I only did that so you would notice me. I thought you would eventually strike up a conversation." His face turned slightly pink.

Niki studied his face briefly and recalled all the pencils lost in his abyss. She smiled.

"Well, I'm sorry I didn't hardly talk to you. I wasn't exactly the rainbow kid, you know."

"I understand. I always wanted to know what was wrong with you, but I first wanted to go out with you. I figured I'd find out one way or another."

Niki's eyebrows ascended up her forehead when he spoke the words. "You wanted...to go out with me?"

He nodded.

"Wow, I never thought I'd hear that."

"So I assume you aren't taken?"

"Well, it's a little complicating. I'm not officially taken, but I'm not completely single either."

He nodded with a dumbfounded look.

"Would you prefer an explanation?" she asked.

"Yes please."

"Well, let's find somewhere to sit first. It may take a little while."

After they found a bench she began to explain her story about meeting Mike and Jennifer and how it lead up to her small confusion. It took a whole ten minutes.

"And you see, I'm not exactly sure what is going on, but I like both of them even though that happened with Mike and none of them cared after we told them. Just as long as I wasn't hurt or mad at him. It is a weird situation."

Joey's eyes were slightly wide and his teeth rested on his bottom lip. "You know Green Day and slept with one of them?"

"Yeah, pretty much."

"You're a god."

She chuckled. "Well, here's my number if you ever want to hang out some time. I'm sure Tre's wondering why it's taking an hour to get tea."

"Why wouldn't the others be worrying?"

"Well, I decided there was no point in staying by myself after the one night stand and Tre thought it would be a good idea for us to be roommates. My room is twice as big as my living room was and it has a small walk-in closet. It's pretty great."

"Damn, lucky." He paused briefly. "Well, thanks, it was nice seeing you again."

"You too. See you around."

"Yeah."

Niki finished browsing the snacks and went to the register.
♠ ♠ ♠
Extreme Musical Chairs: (Made up by me on a whim) You play by normal rules except when you start to sit down you try to throw the chair next to you away so the person can't sit down.
Tre threw it against the wall and broke the leg.

Well, I wrote two chapters yesterday. I'm about to update the next one. I have the feeling since we're on the last three days of school I'll have a lot written since I'm coming out of my writer's block. We've done absolutely nothing the past two days.

Hope you guys enjoy this chapter. The next one is a good one. =)