Status: Sequel released!

It Was Easier Not Loving You

Epiphany

"Heeyy, Niikii!" Tre sang as he pranced into the kitchen.

"Hey, hun," she replied as she looked away from doing the dishes.

Tre sat down at the counter and placed his chin in his hands.

"Guess what."

"Yes?"

"Guess, Niki."

"You got a puppy."

"Nope, we're having a cookout tomorrow. You should invite Alec. You do realize that we have yet to meet this notorious figure."

Niki leaned up against the sink and realized that he was right. They've been together for nearly a year and she has yet to introduce them. During Christmas and Thanksgiving she was with her family and working on Halloween. Them being in the studio a lot recently didn't help either.

"This is perfect!" Niki squealed. "I never could get her at the right time because she always works or is with her folks."

Tre grinned and nodded. "Adie really wants to meet her too."

"And the others don't?"

"It's not that they don't," he said, "but you haven't talked about her too much since you've been locked up in Billie's house or with me."

"You've got a point."

"So are you going to wear something sexy to the cookout for me?"

"Aw, it has to be sexy?" she pouted. "I had this really big Victorian dress picked out and everything. It covers everything but my face and hands. "

His smile faded and Niki's grew wide. She wasn't sure if he knew she was kidding, his expression looks serious.

She began laughing and said, "I see you don't like my taste." She paused and he shook his head and pouted making her laugh again. "How about you help me pick one out."

His eyes lit up. "Alright!"

He leaned over and kissed her forehead, then rested his forehead against her's, and gazed into her eyes.

"By the way, I was just kidding," she giggled.

"I know, but I'm spoiled and rich. It's how I get my way."

He grinned and she giggled.

"I'll keep that in mind in case I need it later."

~Cookout~

Tre and Niki walked hand-in-hand to Billie's backyard with Alec trailing right behind them.

"Hey guys, look who's here!" Niki called. "I want you all to meet Alec."

Everyone looked up at her. Mike was stunned. Her brown, wavy hair and her short purple dress was gorgeous. Her bangs swayed to the side as the long pieces in front of her ears curled down her collarbone. Her hair was put up in a simple loose ponytail letting her curls slither down her back.

Billie walked up to her and greeted her with Joey.

"Oh, he's so cute! I've only seen a couple pictures of him, but you're more handsome in person," she said bending over to his level and winking.

Adrienne walked up behind Mike and put her hand on his shoulder.

"You okay?" she asked.

Mike shook his head out of his gaze. "Oh, yeah. I was just trying to figure out where I've seen her before," he lied.

She walked over to Alec. Mike continued staring. "Thank God Brittney isn't here," he thought. He walked over to her to keep attention off of himself and not seem rude.

"Hello," he said sticking his hand out, "I'm-"

"Mike Dirnt, I know."

He frowned and put his hand back down to his side. He looked down at the ground. He knew why she was angry. Every girl tells their best friend everything.

Niki called to Alec. "Hey! Come in and get something to eat, It's getting cold!"

She twirled around and started walking towards Niki. As Alec passed her, she glared at Mike and followed her best friend inside. Mike stood alone in the yard.

"When did I screw up so badly?" he asked himself. "Alec hates me and I just met her."

His thoughts were interrupted by Billie waving his hand in his face.

"Hey, dude, you okay?"

Mike kept his gaze. "No..."

Billie tilted his head. "What's wrong?"

"I've screwed up."

"What?"

"Billie, why is love so hard?"

"Um, what's wrong? Something happen with Brittney?"

"Sort of, not really." He paused. "I thought I loved Niki, but she seems to love Tre. I meet Brittney then she barges in my door confessing her love to me after staying here for four months. Now she brings Alec and she...She's the most beautiful person I've ever met, but she hates me."

"What? How do you know that?"

"I tried to introduce myself and she cut me off and said, "Mike Dirnt, I know," wouldn't shake my hand and left me here.

"Karma's a bitch."

"What?" he asked stunned.

"Mike, you broke her heart. She stayed locked in my house all winter and didn't even come out for Christmas until Adie dragged her out. She was so certain that she loved you that she immediately left to your house after talking to us about how we feel towards each other. Didn't even bother to fix herself. Then she was introduced to Brittney. Her heart was shattered." He paused.

Mike knew all of it was true. His eyes filled with tears.

Billie continued. "She went straight to Tre's and now she seems happy. I believe that's where she's supposed to be." Billie placed his hands on Mike's shoulders. "I don't want you to think I'm against you, but you really hurt her. Of course her best friend is going to be angry with you. You just need to make amends with Niki."

Billie turned and walked away leaving him alone in the yard once again.

Billie walked through the back door into the kitchen being met by Adrienne.

"Is he okay?" she asked.

"Not really, he's finally had his epiphany moment."

"Oh."

"Let's just give him a minute alone to clear his mind."

She nodded in agreement and they joined everyone else in the living room.

Niki walked down the steps and saw Mike sitting, slouched over, in the armchair.

"Hey," she said, stepping off the last step, then leaned against the stair rail with her arms crossed.

"Hey," he muttered.

"Feeling any better?" she asked with no reply. "Adrienne tole me what happened. You just better make a good decision."

"No pressure," he muttered.

"Just don't screw up."

Mike fell silent again. He sat staring at the floor when suddenly she kissed him on the back of his head.

"I don't want to be so hateful to you, but I don't want our lives to go down the drain even more. I think we're good the way we are now."

Mike turned and looked at her. She walked around the chair and stood in front of him. He looked her up and down.

"Why did I leave her like I did? How could I be such a monster to break the heart of this beautiful creature?" he asked himself.

"I know you feel bad about what happened between us, but you love Brittney. You should stay with her to keep any more tension from happening. It's for the best."

He nodded.

"Now, let's get you something to eat. You haven't eaten all day."

He smirked and followed her into the kitchen.
♠ ♠ ♠
Alec's Hairstyle
Finally getting back into a plot! I had some down time and tried to contribute a little to the plot in the filler chapters. Most of this stuff will come back in future chapters if it was in a filler.

So, should this have a sequel or should it just in in one story? I haven't decided yet.

Niki and Alec's dresses. Alec's is on the right, but it's supposed to be purple. They didn't have a purple one I liked but this is the design I imagined, sort of.
http://www.polyvore.com/cookout_dresses/set?id=22681189