Status: IN THE BEGINNING//

You Took My Hand

Chapter One / Jake

Image

“Good morning Mrs. K.”

I greeted Melissa’s mother as I strolled past the kitchen, making my way to the stairs. Once upstairs I found the brightly painted purple bedroom that belonged to my best friend. I came here every morning and followed the same routine.

“Good morning!” I shouted.

“Mmm what time is it?” Melissa asked wearily.

“Time for you to get up!”

She sighed and slowly walked to the bathroom. I grabbed the remote from the top of the dresser and began surfing channels. As I was lounging on her bed I realized how incredibly tired I was and began to drift to sleep…

“Good morning sunshine! The Earth says hello!” Melissa shouted, scaring the hell out of me. We both laughed.

“Ready to go?” I asked.

“Yep.”

We walked downstairs, said our goodbyes to Mrs. K, and headed out the door.

“Wow, it feels good out here.” Melissa stated.

I didn’t notice before, but it was pretty much perfect outside. It was warm but there was still a slight breeze blowing. Birds were twittering lightly above us in the trees.

“Yea, summer’s like the best.” I replied as we entered the car.

As soon as I started it she immediately went for the radio. It took her awhile to find her favorite station.

When she finally did I reminded her, “Its number two on the presets, you know.” I smiled deviously.

“Now you tell me!”

I laughed and backed onto the street. It was a short drive to the library where she worked, and she had already gone through three more stations. I parked at the back of the building and walked with her inside. I still had an hour until I had to be at work, so I stayed and followed her around until I had to go.

The head librarian lady pretty much hated me because I had a few overdue books, so I tried my best to avoid her at all costs. Unfortunately, she always found a way to appear when I least expected it.

“Hello Mr. Thompson” She hissed from behind me.

“Ah! Um hi.” I replied, startled.

“Read any good books lately?” She asked bitterly.

“Uh no, not really.”

“Oh, that’s a shame. You know, the library has many amazing books to offer. Well, there are a few missing.” She said that last word like she wanted to stab me.

“That’s too bad. I uh, think I have to be going. Have a nice day..”

I practically ran to catch up with Melissa. “I gotta go, the evil lady’s on my case again.”

“Oh, okay. See you this afternoon?” She asked, already knowing the answer.

“Count on it.” And with that I was gone.