Status: active, slow but surely.

He Doesn't Look A Thing Like Jesus; But He Talks Like A Gentleman

"Mmm, are you in or are you out?"

"Hi," Chase said with a smile as she approached Jack at the spot he was usually sitting on at the picnic table. Jack attempted a smile that didn't quite reach his eyes, and Chase instantly noticed and her smile fell as she sat across from him instead of next to him.
"What's wrong?" she asked as her eyebrows joined together in concern.
"Are you, Did I, Did we...pregnant?" Jack's words jumbled, and Chase's eyebrows shot up.
"No. I thought I might have been, but no." she was careful with her words and kept her expression flat.
The first thing that Jack did was let out a sigh of relief, but then he got a look on his face that Chase had never seen before. It was almost cold, but distant, and a hurt all mixed together.
"Why didn't you talk to me?"
"I didn't need to. The test was negative," Chase was flustered seeing the big deal.
"It's not because you weren't sure between me and Tommy?" Jack's voice was flat but Chase read right into it.
"Jealousy is not a good color on you Jack." Chase said trying to lighten the mood with a smile.
"I'm sick of this game Chase!" Jack exclaimed not taking chase's route and she began to get upset as well.
"It's not like we're even together," Chase pointed out.
The empty park was echoing their words back to them.
"Who's fault is that?!" Jack yelled back. "I told you how I felt, and I waited and then you go off and play this shit. I don't want to do this anymore. I've never put this much energy into a girl before, and now I remember why."
The words stung Chase, and she knew he was right about her playing games, but it wasn't for amusement. She was scared. Then a new thought dawned on her.
"How did you even hear about this whole thing?" Chase demanded. Jack shut his eyes, and shook his head as if saying This isn't about that. But Chase wouldn't let it go.
"Tell me. Someone obviously knows my business. And I only told one person." Chase was feeling betrayed already and hoped that Jack's story would paint Alex in a better light then she was seeing him in right in that moment.
"I," Jack sighed, "I overheard Alex yelling at Tommy this morning. Tommy was laughing saying that the two of you hadn't even slept together, and I did the math and it didn't add up. The party was a weekend or two before you even went out with him. That's when I began to worry. You don't want to know the thought processes that went through my head." he promised her.
Chase felt a little better, but silently cursed Alex, knowing now she was going to have to deal with Tommy later.
"So, you knew I didn't sleep with Tommy, yet you just accused me of it about five seconds ago," she asked hurt and defensive.
"I didn't know anything," Jack was stubborn.
"You just said Tommy said-,"
"I said what he said. That doesn't mean I knew it was the truth," Jack pointed out, then paused.
"Lookit, I don't even know why we're bothering with this. Obviously nothing is ever going to happen with us anyway. So why don't we leave it, cut our losses and move on. It was a mistake," Jack wouldn't meet Chase's eyes and she was glad because she could feel the tears welling.
She knew what he needed to hear her say, the same thing she wanted to say. That she wanted him and only him, to fight him on it. But when she finally opened her mouth to speak, when it was finally physically possible, when her brain had finally caught up to her body it was too late. Jack was already at least two yards away with his back to her.
It was over before it had even begun.
♠ ♠ ♠
Happy holidays everyone.!
As a present I updated three times today! lol

I know that this one was super short but I thought that that was important and deserved it's own chapter.
Feedback is greatly appreciated.
Title credit to Imogen Heap's Let go