Sequel: Because You Loved Me
Status: ...

Fire and Ice

Aubrey Michaels is what every girl wants to be. She's practically rich, she's intelligent, and beautiful. She's also extremely argumentative, hot-tempered, andforgetful-when it comes to her past.

Nicholas Jonas isn't your average teenage boy. He has the looks, the brains, and the talent that everyone wants, but no-one seems to understand him. He's had rough patches in life, but isn't about to let it happen again.

Behind Aubrey Michaels hides a girl she used to be; soft, sweet, and not so happy. Her parents are never home, her best-friend is jealous, and her boyrfriend's a jerk. Behind Nick Jonas lies a big heart and beautiful soul. He knows what's right, and no matter what happens, he'll want to help. So when the two start to speak, there's something neither of them can figure out. Aubrey "AJ" doesn't want Nicholas' help, in fact, she tends to push him away, but Nick is determined to set her right... like the way she used to be. Between the things he says that she doesn't understand and the feelings she gets when he's around, Aubrey's in for a rude awakening, where the past comes back to the present, and she'll hopefully be happy for the future.


I smiled, smoothing out my cheerleading outfit, getting ready to lead our routine, when i caught sight of that curly-haired mystery. He just sat there, his hands in his pockets, staring me down. The dark brown seemed a tad lighter and his lips were in a flat line. Nothing seemed right these days. I gave him a cold stare, trying to let him know I wasn't intimidated, but that wasn’t what he was thinking.

“Ready?” I called out, taking a deep breath to calm my sudden nerves. It was unusual, feeling this way before performing. Never in my life had I been nervous. I glanced back out into the crowd, seeing him stare back. He was simply observing, that’s what he would say. I shook my head, smiling widely, leading them out onto the field, feeling his gaze lock onto me-like a target, I was his aim.

I was known as the ice princess, and he was getting a rep. as the fire king. We didn’t need to be in contact to know we were opposites; good thing the saying ‘opposites attract’ isn’t true… right?
  1. First Burn
    “At least I don’t pretend to be someone I’m not,” he mumbled again, shoving his book in his backpack just as the bell rang.
  2. A Sticker
    '“What’s that?” I asked, pointing to the sticker. He finally looked up, his eyes meeting where I was pointing. '
  3. Strike Me
    '“Do you play any instruments?” he asked, motioning towards the back wall, which was piled with guitars, drumsticks, keyboards, tambourines… even microphones. I bit my lip, feeling stupid suddenly.'
  4. Yearbooks
    '“How should I know?” he finally spoke, his voice softer. “If you don’t remember, what makes you think I do?”'
  5. Take A Breath
    '“It was about anyone who doesn’t know who they are,” he replied in a whisper, digging his hands in his pockets.'
  6. Before Noon
    '“Is there some big football game on now?” He furrowed his eyebrows, looking down at his gold watch, shaking his head.'
  7. Old Soul
    '“Yeah, well… I’m slow today,” I shrugged, grabbing the red pen, looking over the first row of answers.'
  8. Mr. Teacher
    '“Well, this isn’t learning. This is a game, you like games, don’t you?” his calm voice spoke, breaking away from the faint music to my left.'
  9. Drum Sticks
    '“What was it then?” “It was actually pretty good,” he said quietly, taking a step back. “Is that because I have a drumstick?” I replied, cracking a smile.'
  10. Car Rides
    '“Why do you even care?” I hissed, pushing him. He held up his hands, straightening his shirt up, shaking his head.'
  11. Storm
    '“Just… that’s not what I’m saying. I just think-” “I think I should go then.” I slammed the door, rushing past the guys and straight out the door, gasping when large droplets of rain flung back into my face.'
  12. Aubrey Jane
    'Nick sighed, ruffling the young boys hair, glancing at me again. “We’re kind of friends. I met her at school. She doesn’t have a nickname, and I don’t know why she’s so pretty, tank,” he answered, setting himself on his elbows.'
  13. Basement Time
    '“Why don’t you have a girlfriend, then? If you think having someone will create so much greatness that you can just brag about?” I paused, noting that I had asked him about a girlfriend already.'
  14. Quick Change
    '“Listen, okay? I… I don’t think this is going to work anymore,” I cleared my throat, wiping my hand over my face.'
  15. Ice-Cream Blues
    ' “Hey Nicky, can we get AJ an ice-cream like mine?” Frankie asked hopefully, giving those puppy dog eyes that were irresistible on little kids, like himself. I looked over at Nick who smirked at me.'
  16. New Found
    'Nicholas smiled, turned around to talk to Joe as somebody tapped my shoulder. I almost jumped, seeing Jake there. He looked like he had been crying.'
  17. Don't
    '“Don’t change the subject, Aubrey…” he trailed off. I hadn’t realized how close he was until I felt my arm go cold, signaling his hand dropped.'
  18. It's Sunday
    '“Are the red coats coming, too?” Nick asked with fake excitement. Kevin paused, giving him a quick laugh.;
  19. Uncertain
    '"You won’t, and it’d mean a lot to Frankie.” He bit his lip, looking at me through his fallen curl. That’s what really got me… it was almost like the puppy-dog-pout, but he wasn’t meaning to now, was he?'
  20. Official Friends
    '“I don’t have any real friends…” I admitted slowly. “You’re the only person I can talk too, and I don’t like to admit it, but it’s true. I-I think we should be friends…” I trailed off, wondering why I was even saying this to him.'
  21. Never Before
    '“Umm… looks like we missed the ending of school,” he said sheepishly, ready to defend himself in case I broke loose. Instead, I stayed calm, not really caring.'
  22. Eletric Feel
    '“So it isn’t working AJ?” he pouted. “My manly presence isn’t making you weak?” “Dude, the only manly presence here that’s making her weak is Nicky boy over there,” Joe smirked, pointing his thumb at the curly haired boy.'
  23. Enter: Scrooge
    '“Christmas Eve!” she grinned from ear to ear, but mine dropped completely, as if I were bi-polar.'
  24. You
    '“What are you talking about? You aren’t going to spend Christmas Eve alone…” he trailed off, glancing over at Joe. Joe cleared his throat loudly, saying something with his eyes that only siblings could understand.'
  25. For What
    '“Yeah, he really does, so if your going to hate anyone, let it be me… he wants you back…” I stared at her for a moment, not exactly sure why she was here.'
  26. More Than Changed
    '"You don’t need too, really,” he assured me. “But you’re my best friend now-” I blurted out, wondering if I was able to call him that.'
  27. So Close
    '“Okay,” I mumbled weakly, taking a deep breath, watching him walk down the sidewalk with hands in pockets, head down. I grabbed the box and set it by the stairs, shutting the door tight and sliding down it. '
  28. So Clear
    '"...No one explained to me why you were so cold, why you seemed so heartless and I was ignorant; I wanted to believe that you were Aubrey, MY Aubrey, the Aubrey that was my best friend with her frizzy hair and cute little giggle. You gave me this-th
  29. Final Burn
    'We really were like fire and ice; in the end, the fire always melts the ice. Nick melted me, making me a better person, and I was determined to stay that way, for both of us; to be his friend, for both of us. Whether those two could exist together w
  30. Epilogue
    'It was like… like he was still here, telling me how to be, telling me that I was a great person and that I deserved everything; so that’s how I looked at life. Ho many times did I get to start over before I realized that this was for the best?'