She Will Love You Through Your Demise

Life in Chaos

Brian sat on the living room couch, his feet perched up on the coffee table in front of him with his right ankle crossed over his left, channel surfing. He raised his left hand up and scratched the left side of his face covered in scruff from no longer shaving regularly. He tore his eyes away from the flat screen television and looked around him. The house was a mess, something it had never been, even when he and Kate had first moved in. The only room that wasn't chaotic was the master bedroom. Brian left it exactly the way Kate had.

For the past three months Brian had resorted to sleeping on the couch in the middle of the living room. A spare pillow and a sheet were thrown onto the cushions and an afghan bunched up at the opposite end of the couch. Random articles of clothing were thrown all over the house, including the kitchen area. Pizza boxes, beer bottles and cans, food wrappers and DVD cases scattered the majority of the flooring throughout the house minus a small two foot wide path from the living room to the bathroom and back to the kitchen.

Brian didn't even have an idea where the landline or his cell phones were, although it didn't matter because they were both turned off. His car and house keys were in unknown territory. His wallet was by the front door, sitting in a bowl that was on top of a stand pushed up against the wall. He made sure he kept track of it so he could order food at any time and would resort to digging through piles to find the landline phone when necessary.

He ignored every knock that came to the front door unless he specifically knew it was for a food delivery. All the blinds and curtains blocked out any view of the outside world, including the dark curtains covering the patio for his backyard. He refused to see anyone, anything, or to be seen himself. The only person he wanted to see was Kate, but he knew that was long from happening. She wanted nothing to do with him anymore.

He ran his hands through his messy and dirty hair, pushing it out of his face. He closed his eyes and turned off the television before he laid back down on the couch on his right side. He pulled the afghan up and over his body as he smothered his face into his pillow. It didn't matter that it was 11:30 in the morning; time was of no value to him anymore.

As Brian floated in a realm stuck in between a deep sleep and being awake, someone stood outside the front door, being as quiet as they could. Brian wasn't aware of anything around him, no sounds, no objects, and not even the possibility that there could be someone outside of his house at that moment. All he knew was that when his eyes were closed, all he could see was Kate, and that's all he wanted to do, just sleep and dream his days away.

But those occasional nightmares which caused him to jolt awake were beginning to play behind his closed lids. He tried to open his eyes, tried to fight against the dream, but he was failing miserably. All he could see was Kate's face, and the last words she spoke to him before she turned around and got in her car, driving right out of his life. Even stuck in his repetitive nightmare, Brian could feel his heart squeeze together tightly in pain. He would do anything to get her back. Anything.
♠ ♠ ♠
I promise you that every other chapter is longer than this. For the longest time I haven't been able to write anything. But I think that I'm finally back. Let's hope this sticks.