Anise

cóig deug

Cameron held onto Drustan tightly as he kissed her roughly. Her heart rejoiced because it was just like the kiss they shared in the study. Her body sizzled and heated up as he pulled her closer to him, bending her backwards just slightly so their bodies were pressed against each others. One of his large hands was on her waist and the other tangled in her hair.

She was clutching her shoulders tightly, not wanting to lose contact with his body.

Drustan pulled his lips away from hers slowly, his eyes locked with hers as her lips drifted open more. As he looked into her eyes he whispered, “Just give me a chance, lass. I know I will make ya happy.”

She nodded, and he smiled. He kissed her again, this time though it was a short kiss before pulling away. He grabbed her hand and lead her back towards the door to enter the castle. “Go get yer things together, lass. Then come ta Alexander's study when yer done. I still wish ta spend time with ya.”

Cameron nodded and pulled her hands from his when they were inside and went back to her bedroom. She didn't know exactly how long he expected her to take since all she brought was that one dress and her modern clothes. She sighed and went to the chest that one of the maids had lent her and pulled out her clothes and tossed them onto the bed. She folded them before bundling them up like she had done when they had left Duart Castle. Cameron set them on top of the trunk and look to the door.

She was trying not to over examine her decision to give Drustan a chance. She hated how easy it was for her to say yes to him, how easy it was for her to forget everything when he kissed her. She hated how her body reacted to him; how every time he came near she got wet between her legs and her body heated up like someone had put a fire under her.

And deep down she just wished she didn't hate how he made her feel. She wanted to let herself fall in love with him. She wanted to be with him and not feel like she had abandoned her life for a man.

Sighing, Cameron shook her head and shut her eyes, taking a deep breath. She could do this. She could let herself fall in love with him and she wasn't going to let her mind tell her different. The last thing she needed was to be left alone in the 15th century because she pushed him away.

Cameron left her room and hurried to find the study.S

- – - – - – - – -

The ride back to Duart Castle wasn't nearly as miserable as the one to Castle Fraser. She once again rode on the back, though this time she held onto Drustan most the time. Her arms wrapped around his waste and her cheek pressed to his back as she watched the scenery go by. The ride was peaceful but seemed to take longer.

By the time they had reached a point to set up camp Cameron felt like she had been on the back of a horse for three days instead of twelve hours. She climbed off the horse first and stretched, her back cracking and her thighs protesting when she did. Drustan hopped down after her, letting the reins of the horse go so he could wander and eat.

She looked around to see that they were getting close to an outcropping of trees, she remembered passing these trees on the way to Fraser. Meaning they couldn't be to far from the boat that ferried them across the sea.

“Are ya hungry, lass?”

“Yeah, kinda.” She said, setting her hand on her stomach. She hadn't realized before but now that he mentioned it she was starving.

“Why donnae ya get the food out while I find some wood for a fire,” he suggested.

Cameron didn't say anything but waited for him to wander towards a small out cropping of trees. She watched as he walked away, fascinated. She loved watching him walk, more specifically she liked watching his abundance of muscles bunch under his tunic as he did so.

She would have died of embarrassment if he ever caught her looking at him, but thankfully she was smart enough to only do it when he was walking away.

Sighing, she marched to the horse who had wandered a few yards away. He was still saddled but it didn't seem to keep him from grazing. He stayed still as she got rummaged through the side bags, having to dig almost all the way to the bottom before she pulled out the bundle of food that had been packed. It as once again bread and dried meat, but she knew the cook had packed away a few apples and pear or two but she didn't want to try to dig them out. She could barely see into the saddle bags as it was and she didn't want to hurt the horse by hanging off the side.

Taking what she had found she wandered back to where she was originally standing and sat down, sighing. The area she was sitting in wasn't grassy, probably due to the lack of sunlight the huge tree next to her provided. Drustin had probably picked this spot because he could start a fire without worrying about it spreading to the rest of the grass.

Yawning, she couldn't believe how tired she was. All she did was sit on the back of a horse all day but she couldn't believe how much her thighs ached when she dismounted. Though she didn't ache nearly as bad as the first trip.

She looked down at the bundle of food in her lap, her stomach was growling but she didn't want to eat until Drustan got back. She sighed and laid back, keeping her legs crossed and laying her arm over her head.

She didn't know how long she was laying there, she was pretty sure she had started to drift off to sleep when she heard Drustin approaching footsteps before he called out, “Are ya sleepin', lass?”

“No,” she stated, not moving. “Just relaxing. It was either that or eat all the food.”

“Ya didnae have to wait, lass. I though ya would have eaten by now.” He scolded.

She lifted her arm enough to peek at him to see him drop the firewood he found onto the ground. She observed him stack the firewood like a teepee around a big pile of dried grasses. She frowned and sat up, deciding she didn't want to risk him catching her peeking at him. “Start eatin' while I get this fire goin', lass. I donnae need ya ta faint or become ill.”

Cameron didn't bother arguing with him and opened the bundle and ripped the bread in half. She ate quickly and was half way finished when Drustan sat down next to her. He reached into her lap and grabbed the bundle and began to eat too.

Both of them remained quiet until they were done eating, and then just sat there in silence for even longer.

Cam wasn't sure how long it was before Drustan finally spoke up, “What twas yer home like?”

She was taken back by his question and looked at him in shock. “Why are you asking?”

“Ya wished fer me to get to know ya.” He stated slowly, “I am getting ta know ya.”

“It was really different from this.” She began with a sigh. “Towns were cities and over crowded, polluted. People only ride horses for fun, and only farmers and richer people own them. We have water sources within the house in the kitchens and each of the bath... garderobe. Clans don't exist, not in how you view them. Families are not as close-knit sometimes could care less about what happens to each other.”

He frowned, “What of yer family? Are ye close with them?”

Cameron shrugged, “When I was younger we were really close. We went camping and on vacations all the time. They attended every single one of my school functions but after I turned eighteen and moved out we drifted apart. I hear from them about once a month, and go see them for Christmas.”

“Do ye have more family?”

“Not really.” She sighed, “My closest family was my best friend Diana. I met her at work and we kinda clicked. She was like the sister I never had.”

“I am sorry, Lass.” Drustan whispered softly, grabbing her hand and holding it in his. “I would have let ya go back if ya could have.”

“Thanks,” she said with a small smile. “What about you? Is your uncle the only family you have left?”

“Aye.”

“What happened to them?” Cameron asked, curiously. The only thing she heard about his parents was that his father rescued his mother but no one had ever said anything else.

“My mother died of illness when I was but four or five, I donnae recall much of her. My father died in battle when I was but eighteen. The clan was passed to me and my uncle came to assist me at the news of my father's death.”

“Do you miss him... your father?”

“Aye. He twas a good mon and a good laird.” He paused for a second and Cameron looked at him to see he was looking at her. “Yer beautiful, lass.”

Cameron blushed and looked away and stated quickly, “I'm getting cold.” She pulled her hand from his and wrapped her arms around herself.

“I will get ya my plaid.” Drustan stated as he stood. It only took him a moment before he was back and wrapping it around her shoulders. “Ya should get some rest, Lass. I wish ta be home by midday tomorra.”

She nodded, “All right.”

Neither of them said another word as she laid down with her head only a few inches away from his thigh. She curled one of her arms under her head and the other around her to hold the plaid in place while she slept.

Cameron didn't take long to fall to sleep but she came awake some time later when she heard Drustan move, and felt his hand stroke her hair. “Good night, lass.” He whispered before pressing his lips to her hair. She continued to lay there and listen to him as he too laid down to get some rest.