Anise

fichead

"What do you mean you have to leave?" Cameron shouted as she followed Drustan down the hall towards the stairs. "Where are you going?"

It had been over two weeks since they're arrangement and it hadn't seemed to placate either of them. It seemed that bossing people around was just as much engraved in Drustan's DNA like arguing was in Cameron's. The two always found something to fight about, whether it was the smallest thing.

In Cameron's eyes, Drustan always seemed to start it. He would either say something completely stupid along the lines of women were meant to stay home, care for the children, and worship the men or political views that were completely bloodthirsty. In Drustan's eyes, Cameron just wanted to find an excuse to argue with him and push him farther away, always picking something in a conversation to get heated over.

But in the wake of the fighting, no matter how much Cameron yelled at him or what she said and how angry he would get at her, he would gain clarity of how different they were from each other and how much more he needed to strive to accept the fact that they weren't ever going to go a day without arguing. It wouldn't take him long after that to gently get her attention off of yelling at him. He would just grab her hands and place gentle kisses to the knuckles before saying, "Aye, lass, yer right. I am a horses' arse. I'm sorry." Then he'd lean in and kiss her gently and the fight was over as quick as that.

But in this moment it would take more than submitting to her for this fight to be over. "I told ya already, lass. I have ta ride ta the Campbell keep ta see what the Laird has decided with our arrangement."

Cameron felt her anger rise more, "You mean to your engagement with that Campbell girl. Didn't you tell me she was fifteen? You're really gonna go to marry a fifteen year old!"

He stopped and turned towards her, "Yer pickin' a fight again, lass. I told ya I willnae marry her. The Laird knows this and has requested ta see me so we can find another solution ta fighting the MacDonalds'."

"Then let me come." She demanded, "I don't like being cooped up in this stupid castle all the damn time."

"Nay, t'will be quicker fer Murray and I ta go. Ya can stay here and do as ya wish." He stated as he exited into the courtyard.

"But I don't want to be here, I want to go with you. I promise it won't take as long as last time."

Drustan sighed and turned to her, causing her to almost run into his chest. "I said nay, lass and my answer will stay nay. This time ya must stay here."

Cameron glared at him, "Well, fine then. I'll stay here like a good little girl and do some gardening and needle work like I'm expected to do."

He sighed again and shook his head, "I donnae care what ya do while yer here, lass. Ya can go ta the shops and buy what ya want or help the servants or whatever ya wish as long as ya stay here." He leaned down and kissed her forehead. "I will try ta be back in a week."

"Fine," she said before sighing herself, "But just don't… ya know, agree to marry her or anything, okay."

Drustan smiled and leaned down kissing her forehead softly, "Ya have nothin' ta worry worry aboot, lass. I told ya afore and I will tell ya again, I only wan' ta marry ya."

Cameron smiled a bit and asked, "Next time you go somewhere you'll take me?"

"Yes, lass."

"Promise?" She asked.

"Aye, lass. I promise but I hafta go now, Murray is waitin' at the stables fer me."

Cameron stepped back from him and smiled a bit bigger, "Be careful."

He grinned at her before quickly wrapping his arm around and waist and pulling her to him. He quickly brought his lips down on hers and kissed her briefly before releasing her. "Donnae get inta to much trouble, lass." He stated before turning and walking away towards the stables.

Campbell Keep

Two Days Later

Drustan and Murray were brought to Laird Malcolm Campbell's war room only moments after they had arrived. When they were let into it they saw the old Laird sitting at the head of a large table that had a map of all of Scotland and its borders spread out.

When the Laird's eyes lifted and fell on Drustan he nodded before looking back down at the map before saying, "Ya can leave us, Tavish." The man who had accompanied them to the room thus far left without a word, closing the heavy door behind them. "Take a seat, you and I have much ta discuss, MacLean."

Drustan made his way closer to the Laird, taking a seat near him and Murray taking the seat to Drustan's left; the two of them both glancing at the map of Scotland before looking to the Laird, "What did ya wish ta discuss, Campbell."

"Ya broke our agreement." He stated slowly before sitting back in his chair. "Me girl is disappointed and thinks ya did it cos she wasnae upta ya standards."

"Ya know that has nothin' ta do with it." Drustan growled, "Yer girl is jus' that, a girl. She will get over our broken betrothal. The lass only met me once, tis hardly anathin' ta do with her."

Campbell nodded and sighed, "Aye, I knew ya wouldnae have married her."

"I was gonnae marry her afore I sent ya my missive. I have a woman now, I wish her ta be my wife and thought it best to end the betrothal afore it went too far." Drustan leaned forward, his arms resting on the table so he could look the Laird in the eyes. "I know ya cannae support my clan against the MacDonalds without our marriage, my clan knows this now and none of them 'arbor any ill will towards ya and yer own. But knew this, the MacDonald will come fer ya cos ya willnae march on me."

Malcolm Campbell's eyes became distant, as if measuring the possibilities of his clan surviving past this war without the help of another clan before he took leaned forward. "Ya should know that the MacDonald's already came ta me."

Drustan wasn't the least bit surprised, he knew that even if he had married the Laird's daughter they would have tried to turn the Campbell clan against him but the roots of the two clans held more firm than he must have originally believed. "What did they tell ya, Malcolm?" He asked, his tone becoming hard, using the man's given name to press how important the issue was. "I hafta know."

"They know yer woman is back," he said softly, looking towards Murray before asking. "Is yer man ta be trusted with sensitive information?"

"He is the only one I trust," Drustan stated fiercely. "What did the MacDonald say?"

"Douglas MacDonald himself can ta me and claims ta have killed yer women. He is spreadin' word through the clans that ya have become involved with the black arts and yer woman is a witch herself." He then added, "Many donnae believe it, they know the MacDonald would do anythin' ta see ya killed. Though the smaller clans like Ogilvy and Ferguson believe this nonsense, MacDonald promised them fortunes ta join with him."

"An' wha' do ya think, Malcolm? Do ya think my woman is a witch come back from the dead?"

"Nay, ya grieved her to hard in the beginnin' fer me ta believe such a thing. Yer grief was the only thing that gotcha ta agree ta that damned betrothal." He laird finally leaned back in his chair before adding, "And yer not one that meddles around with such rubbish. The MacDonald has stooped low, and the smaller clans wish ta have the good fortune and riches ya possess so they believe it."

Murray scoffed, finally making himself part of the conversation. "They are foolish ta believe anythin' that comes from that foul mouth of MacDonalds. If they ride on us I say we show them no mercy, I say we cleave them in two and leave them fer the vultures. I say we show their clans no mercy, let it be known the wrath o' a MacLean is nay something to face in war."

Drustan nodded agreeing with Murray completely, "I donnae plan to let them ride on us. We need to start gatherin' our allies, and formin' a strategy." When he looked to the Malcolm he asked, "What do ya want fer an allegiance? I cannae marry yer daughter but I can provide ya with gold a plenty to fill yer coffers and my army fer your use after this is settled."

Campbell nodded, "I also need ya ta promise me if this donnae go as planned and the MacDonald strike my keep that ya will shield family from harm. Ya will see them safely across the border inta England. Me wife has family there that has promised ta take them in where the MacDonald's cannae reach them."

"I swear on my life that they willnae be harmed," Drustan swore solemnly.

"And ya, captain of the guard?" Malcolm asked his almost blank gaze turning to Murray, "If somethin' were ta happen ta yer laird do I have yer word nothin' will happen ta my family?"

Murray nodded, "Aye, on my life as well."

Malcolm nodded and stood slowly, his old bones making a popping noise as he did. "Very well then, I will have my men prepared and sent ta ya afore month's end."

Drustan stood "Ya will nay regret this Campbell."