Anise

dùnadh

Cameron sat smiling in a lawn chair on the beach beneath the cliff of the keep, wearing just shorts and a tank top with sunglasses on her head as she watched a barefooted Drustan chase a squealing, barefooted little boy who looked like him around.

Their little boy, Lachlan William MacLean, had been born two days before the first year anniversary of their marriage, he had been delivered by midwife – at Drustan's vehement request since he still didn't trust modern medicine and the fact that the closest hospital was a ferry ride away – and weight eight pounds two ounces. He came into the world with puffs of black hair on his head and the lung capacity to make an opera singer jealous.

Now four though, he seemed to shrill loud enough to shatter glass sometimes; she thought with a smile, and he would talk the ear off anyone who would listen.

"Mommmmmy!" Lachlan screamed as he bolted towards her, deciding he could seek refuge from his terrorizing father with her. "Don't let him get me!"

He ran behind her as Drustan stood in front of her, reaching around her and trying to grab the giggling boy and Cameron laughed, "Leave him alone now, Drustan. He needs to catch his breath."

Drustan collapsed in front of her, falling back onto his butt and taking a deep breath, "More like I need ta catch my breath, lass."

"Do ya give up, Daddy?" The boy called from behind her, peeking his head around the back of the chair.

"Come ova here, kiddo."

"Not 'til ya give up, Daddy. Uncle Murray said I cannae come out unless ya give up first!"

Drustan chuckled, "Aye, ya rascal I give up."

He came out with a big grin on his face, giggling, "I told you ya wouldn't be able to catch me!" He leaned into the arm of her chair, "When's Uncle Murray coming?"

"When he gets back from working, Lach," she told him as she lifted the boy with a grunt. He was big for his age; 50 pounds and almost four feet tall the pediatrician thought that he'd be as big – if not bigger – than Drustan when he was full grown. He learned to walk at 8 months and by his first birthday he already had a full vocabulary of words he liked to say – or scream.

Cameron was amazed by the little boy, always full of energy and hardly ever threw a tantrum. She settled the boy onto her lap and he wiggled, "He said he'd be here already!" he huffed, crossing his arms over his chest. "Daddy said that I couldn't play with my swords til he gets home!"

Cameron shot Drustan a glare and kept her eyes there as she asked softly, "I thought we weren't going to let him play with that, Drustan."

Drustan laughed, "Donnae worry, lass. Tis the one Murray picked up at a fair; the wooden one with the tapped handle." At his words her temper reduced until he added, "Tis an excellent practice tool."

Rolling her eyes she kissed the top of Lachlan's head, Drustan drove her crazy sometimes. He doted fiercely on Lachlan, and also wouldn't let go of the fact that "every boy his age should learn ta use a sword". It was a common argument between them that in this century no one used a sword for anything but he always did what he wanted anyways. Though, she couldn't deny that she didn't love him more for it because he loved Lachlan, spent every moment he could with him, and never raised his voice.

Lachlan began to wiggle eagerly on her lap, "THATS HIM!" He yelled happily as he jumped down when she let him go. Uncle Murray did ya bring it? Did ya bring it?" He yelled as he ran away from them and towards Murray who was wandering towards them, sword dangling from his belt.

"Calm down, boy." Murray told him, scooping the boy into his big arms and easily throwing him over his shoulder and carrying the boy back to his parents as he howled with laughter and pulled on Murray's hair. "What did ya feed this kid?"

"Liquid sugar just for you," Cameron smiled at him as he set down Lachlan but the boy jumped at him again, wrapping his arms around the mans waist and tried to worm his way up but only got mid-chest.

"Come on Uncle Murray!" Lachlan pleaded, "You promised you would bring it!"

"Lach," Cameron said firmly to get his attention. "Climb down from your uncle and ask like a good boy."

"But-"

This time it was Drustan's turn to be the stern parent, "Donnae argue with yer ma. Get off yer uncle like she told ya and stop howling in his ear. Warriors donnae whine when they donnae get their way."

It was almost instantly when Lachlan let go of Murray and stood before him, wringing his hands together and looking at his feet. "I'm sorry. Can we please practice with the toy sword."

Murray smiled at the boy and pulled the sword from his belt and handed it to him, "Now be a good lad and practice a bit by yerself. I've got ta talk to yer da."

Lachlan scurried off a few feet and began swinging the sword in big arches, spinning away and jabbing at imaginary targets. "He's gonna be that kid no one likes," Cameron grumbled, "I'm gonna blame the two of you. Couldn't you get him interested in cars or sports or something?"

Both Murray and Drustan laughed, "What do we know of modern sports and cars?"

Rolling her eyes and crossed her arms over her chest and observed him. Murray was still the same in almost every way, he continued to live with she and Drustan but was flying everywhere in God's Green Earth since he and Drustan decided to rename and expand the security company nationwide. It had been successful venture but had driven her crazy the first two years when they were getting it off the ground, since Drustan had to be away from home a lot.

Though, now Murray refused to let Drustan leave Scotland for more than a night and went on the longer excisions himself, which worried Cameron quiet a bit. In the last five years – since the time he arrived in the 21st century – he hadn't involved himself with any woman. He occasionally went out to the bars in Glasgow when he was home and some abroad from what Drustan had told her but he never seemed more than fleetingly interested in any woman.

The thought of Murray being alone saddened Cameron quiet a bit because while he was sometimes just as barbaric and annoyingly stubborn as Drustan, he was also the most caring and considerate man she knew. He didn't deserve to be alone. She'd have to convince Drustan to persuade Murray to let her set him up on a date with one of her single friends.

"Daddy! Come practice with me! I'm not gonna learn anythin' if yer just standing there!" Lachlan called from where he had been practicing. "You too, Uncle Murray!"

"Alright, lad, we're coming." Murray yelled back at him, "Ya think the lad would be leavin' ta war tomorra with the way he wants ta fight."

Rolling her eyes she wanted to hit both of their heads together, "Just make sure no ones eyes get poked out with that damned sword. You both really should have left your swords back in the 14th century."

Murray sauntered over to where Lachlan was waiting and Drustan grinned at her and closed the distance between then, leaning down to place a kiss on her lips. "Ah, lass but then what would ya threaten me with when ya donnae get yer way."

Cameron laughed, "I'm the only one who threatens you. You've gotta have someone here to keep you in line otherwise you'd be out there roaming the streets threatening people with said sword."

Drustan laughed and whispered an "aye" against her lips before kissing her again. "I love ya, lass."

"I love you too," she whispered back. "I don't know what I would have done if you didn't come back."

He gently moved his hands to cup her face, looking deeply into her eyes as he said gently, "Shush, lass. Yer gonna depress me talkin' like that. I will always be here fer you and fer Lach and any other babes we have."

Cameron smiled up at him brightly, "You are such a romantic McLean." She wrapped her arms around his neck and hugged him tightly, whispering to him with a big smile on her face. "And since you brought up the topic of babes, I think this is the perfect time to tell you. Lach will be a big brother come January."

She felt Drustan take a shark intake of breath before pulling away from her, "How far are ya, lass?"

Cam laughed, "You act like this is some big surprise or something. That witch wasn't kidding when she said you were virile. I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner."

Drustan laughed and placed a sloppy kiss on her lips, "Yer a blessin', lass." His chest puffed out in pride. "T'will be another lad."

Cameron wrapped her arms around him and laughed, kissing him again. "Always the boastful Laird, MacLean."

They kissed again, this time longer and deeper until they heard Lachlan's shout. "Come play with me Daddy! Uncle Murray isn't as good as you!"

Drustan released his love and laughed, turning to his son and best friend, "Aye, he never was."

Cameron went back to watching them when Drustan returned to playing with his son, her heart swelling with love as she did. Closing her eyes for just a moment she sent a prayer upward thanking whatever forces there were above for Alastrina bringing them together with whatever magic she wielded. She also thanked Anise because without her falling in love with Drustan so long ago she wouldn't have him now.

Opening her eyes again when Lach called for her she stood up and ran towards her boy, his shrilling laughter loud in her ear when she lifted him into her arms.
♠ ♠ ♠
Alright everyone. This is the end. Thank you so much for all your patience with me through this journey. Now I want some feedback if you think there should be a story for Murray because I have been playing around with some ideas for his story.