Love Note

The next morning, I had woken up from an hours sleep, and by the time I got into our first class, I was completely shattered. I made a mental note as I slipped down into my chair, that I would get an early nights sleep tonight. It wouldn’t do me any good coming to class in this state. I felt like a zombie.

I hadn’t even noticed who was sitting beside me. Though I should have guessed, because Light always took the seat beside the window, where he’d stare lost in thought up into the usual clear blue sky, full of white cotton clouds. Great, the one time I get the chance to sit anywhere near him and I can’t even think straight. I could do with a coffee break…but I’d only just got in. I’d have to wait another hour at the least. Sigh.

“Another noticeable consequence is the extinction of many species on the planet.” The teacher read, his voice as dull as the room around us.

I’d spent the majority of the time in class thinking. And not thinking about anything concerning the class. In fact, I was thinking about almost everything apart from class. I was trying to work out the reason for my lack of sleep last night, something that had never bothered me anytime before was trouble getting to sleep. Sleeping was something I was good at, if nothing else. I searched all areas for something to blame. I tried remembering if something was on my mind that kept me awake, but I specifically remember at the time that my mind was a blank. Nothing was bothering me. No… I straightened up in my desk, flattening my palms on the surface and staring blindly ahead, suddenly remembering that sinking feeling that kept returning to the pit of my stomach. That had to be the reason I wasn’t sleeping easy. But what was it?

Light had noticed my sudden change in stature, and had curiously peered around his hand to see what I was doing. But I was so lost in thought to pay any attention, I tilted my head to face him, but my eyes stared longingly out through the window instead and he followed my gaze as well.

That’s when I’d snapped out of it. I squinted in the light and stared back down to the desk. If I wasn’t mistaken…that feeling I’d felt last night, it was of fear. Fear for what?

At the corner of my eye, I could swear that Light’s attention had focused onto something, as his head seemed to drop a little as he continued to stare outside. I couldn’t see anything of interest and wondered if I’d just imagined it, but at the same time, my instincts were kicking in. Fear was ebbing at my heart, causing it to beat even faster than It desired to. I gritted my teeth and hoped the lesson was almost over. I needed some fresh air.



I’d only just started attending this school. Roughly three months ago. Since then I’ve had to work my ass off to catch up with everyone else in the class. I received the warmest welcome possible. Everyone was and still is extremely nice to me. I’m sure it’s because I’m a foreigner in this country. A British citizen at heart. Though…I wish I knew what it was like back in Britain. I wish I could remember…

Yagami strolled by my desk. It took me several seconds to realize we were the last two students in the room. I’d dazed off once again.

I quickly pulled my items together and started after Light. Upon my welcome party, I’d noticed straight away that out of everyone, Light was the least bit interested in acquainting himself with me. I’d always questioned why that was, but I’d never seek the answer. I guess I was scared to know why. But it still nagged at my mind every now and then.

“Light-kun!” I called, reminding myself that I was in Japan and had to go by formalities.

“Huh?” He hadn’t noticed me approach him. “Oh. Rei-chan, you’ve finally returned from your daydreaming.” Chuckling, he finally came to a halt to face me. His laughter caught me off guard. I blushed, crimson. “Did you want something?”

“Uh…I just wondered…if…I could accompany you home?” I had to stop myself from clenching my eyes shut.

He merely smiled that charming smile of his. “Shouldn’t it be me who accompanies? Well. I would love to.”

“Sugoi!” I smiled. Perhaps all that time, Light had been waiting for me to talk to him, not the other way around. Those past three months felt such a waste to me now. Now he might walk me home from today onwards. He did live on the same street, so we were both walking the same way.

Before heading off, I nipped into the toilets. Light said he’d wait for me outside. When I found him, he wore an amused smile. I didn’t bother asking. I assumed it had nothing to concern me.

But looking back, just asking might have changed the product of what was to come…
♠ ♠ ♠
Slightly rushed the ending of this chapter, but that's no excuse!! It gets better anyways. If you've read or watched Death Note, then you should know. But i'm giving it some more twists, so be prepared. Anyways - woo!! - Light-kun is going to walk Rei-chan home. Good times.
Please comment!!


Sugoi! - awesome!