Master Grene's House

Two

Two
“Mr. Andrews! The rent!”
“I don’t have it yet.” Returned Percy, still carrying Roderick on his shoulder.
“Returning with that doped-up sod friend of yours?”
“He’s off the pipe. For good.”
“That’s what they all say.”
“I’ll have it by the end of the month, Mr. Broderick.”, said Percy, opening his apartment door.
“Bullshit!” Percy closed it in his face,

******
“He’s going to evict us.” Said Percy, pouring some coffee, “Sober enough to talk?”
“Yes.” Replied Roderick, taking the cup, “But my head hurts like hell.”
“We need jobs.”
“I have a job!”
“Please. You clean horse shit out of the streets, you call that a job?”
“I make money.”
“What? Money? You make next to threepence a day and you say you make money?! You’re really on the moon, aren’t you?”
“Well,” Roderick sighed, “What other options do I have?”
“I don’t know.”
“Wait!” said Roderick, “There’s a job opening in the printer’s shop down the street! I could work there!”
“You can’t read.”
“Oh. Sorry.”
“Well…”
“You’re the one who’d better be looking for a bloody job!”
“I’m a poet.”
“That’s not a real job.”
“Alright. I’ll go to the printer and see if I can get a job there. What about you?”
“I saw in the paper that there was a job opening as a porter at the house of a man called Jason Greene. He lives
Percy sat down beside Roderick and put his arm around him, “I love you. And I want to get through this. Together.”
“We will.” Roderick lightly kissed his cheek, “We will.”