You Are the Dreamer and We Are the Dream

Two Out of Three Ain't Bad

Holly stared at her own refection. Her baby blue eyes traced over her thick, blonde hair that cascaded down just past her shoulders. She looked as her hands smoothed down her shirt, moving over her beautiful, curvy body. Ugh, she thought. Holly didn’t see what everyone else did when she looked at herself. Though, she smiled when she read, for the hundredth time, the text scrawled on her homemade shirt. It was dark blue and written in silver, loopy, Fall Out Boy font was I’ll Spend Infinity On High With You, Patrick. And on the back was Fall Out Boy Forever. Holly wrapped her arms around herself and closed her eyes. She took a deep breath; pure happiness filling her. Today was the day she had been counting down to for many long months. She would get to hear the music that made her feel grounded every time she heard it. On the contrary, it was also the same music that seemed to lift her above and away from all her troubles to a place where everything was okay. She’d get to see the five “boys” whose music translated a solution to how to make it through (with hearts and wrists intact). And Patrick; he would be right there, singing the words which never left her mind. Even though there was an early morning silence around her she felt to be living a dream; she was going to a Fall Out Boy concert. Holly pulled her black, Patrick-usque hat over her hair and ran her fingers along the rim. But then she caught her own gaze in the mirror and the selfless comfort which had been with her moments before cracked left. The smile remained, as well as her immense excitement, but the dream-like edge had also escaped. Holly had never liked herself much, and now she felt a small anger grow at the thought of it ruining her day. She emerged from her room, looking stunning. Her mum and cousin, who she was going to the concert with, were seated at the table. While her mum was mentally preparing herself for having to follow her daughter on a long pursuit of the musicians after the show and was oblivious, Shelby instantly knew something was wrong. Her and Holly caught gazes and she jumped up and followed her back into her room. ‘Tell me.’ Shelby said. No time wasted on unnecessarily asking if she was okay.
‘Look at me,’ Holly said frustrated ‘I want this today to be perfect.’
Shelby sighed. ‘You have no idea, do you?’ Holly looked up at this, pulling her hat up a little bit so she could actually make eye contact. ‘You’re like the biggest FOB fan ever, you’re so cool and funny,’ Shelby paused in the hope the final bit might brake through her barrier. ‘And you are so beautiful, just accept it.’ Holly brushed her hands along the rim of her hat, tipping it in the old-world fashion.
‘Two out of three ain’t bad.’