You Are the Dreamer and We Are the Dream

Turn Off the Lights and Turn Off the Shyness

On the drive down to the venue, while there was an air of anticipation around, Holly just sat in the car with Fall Out Boy blasting through the headphones of her over-used iPod. It was going to be a free flow show; so of course, they were going to be there a few hours before it was scheduled to begin. The grabbed lunch, did a bit of window shopping; FOB narrating the entire time.
Holly was shy and self conscious, a result of her sadly, low self esteem. The lucky people that got to know her; when her confidence began to show through, found it hard to believe the difference between that Holly, and the one that seemed to feel at home sitting hidden at the back of the room.
They pulled up outside the stadium. It was three hours before the show started and they were surprised that the car park was quite full. Holly, as planned, met up with her friends; fellow FOB fans, and hopped in line. There was a one and half hour wait to get their tickets checked, the long wait seemingly designed to build excitement. The space in front of the stage was pretty full, more so then they had expected, but they were only about 8 rows from the front. Holly knew she could easily rock her way to the stage. Everyone was sitting around; albeit being careful to mark their territory. Holly was with friends now, and she let herself go a little. The girls left Holly’s mum to guard their spot as they set off in hope of seeing the musicians. As they meandered the conversation basically consisted of ‘I can’t believe we’re going to be seeing them soon!’, ‘Oh my God! Oh my God! We’re actually here!’ and once, much to Holly’s annoyance; ‘Look it’s Patrick!’ to which Holly squealed ‘Where?’. Patrick wasn’t there…Holly hit Marianne rather hard. Then they walked back to their spot before the crowds became too big and they lost all chance of ever getting up to the front.

The Academy Is… came on stage and Holly felt a surge of excitement (yes, more) as they greeted the crowd. ‘Hello New Zealand!’ the lead singer screamed as the first bars of We’ve got a big mess on our hands began. And with that, they began to move towards the front.

Fall Out Boy came on stage. Patrick didn’t say anything. He just began to play Thriller. Pete dedicating it (on the track where Jay Zee usually speaks) to all the fans here tonight. Holly was so close she could make out Patrick’s side burns clearly, but then, so could everyone within a three mile radius. The sun was setting when they had began to play and as Patrick began to sing Holly felt an immense relief, like she was coming home after a long trip. She sang every word and as the light began to fade into the best night of her the real Holly began to show. Moving to the front was proving a hard business but she had a whole set to do that. She looked up at the stars as The Take Over the Break’s Over was played. Patrick’s clear voice sung We do it in the dark, with smiles on our faces and Holly laughed at the coincidence. The quarter moon had risen and she had left her shyness back with the day light. Tonight, anything could happen.