You Are the Dreamer and We Are the Dream

This Is A Love Song In My Own Way

'Maybe.
In another time,
In another place,
You could have been there,
For my heart to chase.
But I’m not one
To let time waste;
On dreaming.
I’d rather be living beyond the moment.
Not thinking,
What if?
We had been in the wrong place
At the right time?
Either way,
Part of me,
You can call “mine”.
I’m drunk on confusion,
And my heart declines.
No, it won’t let me just imagine;
How great we could have been.
But maybe,
Next time,
We’ll get it right.
And then we would be
The closest thing to perfect.
And then we could be
The closest thing to perfect.'

Patrick strummed the last chord, and cleared his throat. He wiped his hands nervously on his pants. It had been a while since anyone outside of the band had heard any of his draft work. Holly didn’t say anything for a while; she just sat still and looked at Patrick. He tried to figure out what was happening behind those eyes. They seemed so…full. But of what, he couldn’t place. Patrick got up and placed the guitar back in the corner; anything to keep busy. She got up and simply wrapped her arms around his neck.
‘Thank you.’ She whispered in his ear as his arms wound around her waist instinctively. ‘Thank you so much.’ After a while, they both reluctantly pulled away. Patrick held Holly at arms length and the two, hat-shadowed gazes met.
‘I wish this could have worked, I really do-’ he stuttered.
‘Hey, what happened to no time spent dreaming?’ Holly countered, not wanting waste time on useless wishes.
‘Maybe I should take my own advice some of the time, huh?’
‘Good thinking, Pat.’ She smiled. She had just called a mega-rock star by his pet name, and that was the least crazy thing of the whole night.
‘And anyway, Hols,’ He said. ‘I think you’re a bit out of my league.’ Holly laughed, a full, whole hearted laugh. For the seemingly umpteenth time that evening she smiled and gazed into Patrick’s eyes. She lent up and gave him a kiss on the cheek. But the new found confidence couldn’t stop Holly there, she had to say it. No use for ‘what ifs’ as Patrick had said.
‘Dude, your hats, they are just so awesome.’ Patrick’s grin nearly touched his sideburns (scary thought, I know).
‘Well, sweet, what would you think about a swap?’ her brain made her nod automatically but Holly started to wonder if you could explode from happiness. She made a mental note (emphasis on mental) to ask Eve. Turns out, you can actually have problems caused by an overload of endorphins, buts that’s beside the point. He removed her hat, giving it a good squint. ‘Not a bad hat,’ he muttered. ‘Not bad at all.’ When Patrick Stumps’ dark blue hat settled on Holly’s head she expected to been woken up by her alarm any moment.
‘Will you do me the honor?’ asked Patrick, proffering her hat.
‘You had to ask?’ she laughed, and placed the hat on his head. ‘Looking good, Patrick, even if I do say so myself.’ Patrick gently pulled up the rim of her new hat, bent down, and kissed her gently on the cheek.
‘So long, Holly’ he muttered quietly.
‘Oh, lighten up, Stump.’ she laughed. ‘Maybe when I’m older, and you’re just…old, and in need of a nurse, you could look me up? We could have a lot of fun.’
It was Patrick’s turn to laugh all out, man, he loved this girl. ‘Scandal, I like it.’ He managed to say. She smiled one more dazzling smile, and gently closed the door.
As Holly walked down the lino floor of the inner stadium, she heard the sweet sound of Patrick playing that song again; Holly’s song. And as she pushed the door open, she caught her own reflection’s eyes. Holly just smiled and mouthed the words, ‘The closest thing to perfect.’